A New Plan

House of Secrets

Jiyeong’s jaw dropped. “H-how?” she stuttered.

Suga shrugged. He seemed surprisingly nonchalant. “Isn’t it obvious?” Jiyeong just stared at him with wide eyes.

“Your form.” The girl’s cheeks turned slightly pink as she looked down at herself. She wore baggy clothes all the time; what was he talking about… Then she remembered that her uniform was somewhat tight-fitting.

“Your voice.” Jiyeong mentally face-palmed herself for yelling at him that time with the high-pitched tone. And she was pretty sure that although her voice was kind of low for a girl’s, it was still girly sometimes.

“Your face.” When the girl still looked confused, Suga added, “It’s feminine.” Jiyeong blinked. If Suga had known all the time, did anyone else? Her thoughts wandered back to Hoseok. He had stared at her so piercingly… Did he secretly know? Or was Suga just very observant?

“Why-”

“Why didn’t I say anything?” Suga said. He started walking towards Taehyung’s room without looking back. “I had no need to.”

He left Jiyeong in the hallway looking dumbfounded.


“He knows.” Jiyeong felt her stomach flip-flop as she said those words.

“How?” Taehyung furrowed his brows.

The next day, Jiyeong had skipped class for the first time in her life and was standing on the rooftop of the school with Taehyung. She knew that Jungkook should’ve been the first person she told, but she was actually quite afraid how he would react. Nowadays, he was a little moody and quiet. She wondered where the positive Jungkook that was always by her side comforting her went.

“He says that he just knows. Is… is it that obvious?” Jiyeong leaned against the rail of the edge of the rooftop. Resting her chin on her hands, she looked down at the bare trees on the ground. A chilly wind blew, making her shiver.

Suddenly she felt something cover her shoulders and back, blocking the wind. She looked up with surprise to see that Taehyung had taken off his blazer and placed it over her shoulders. Her jaw dropped.

The boy nonchalantly leaned against the railing, gazing at the sports field below. “I sure had no clue you were a girl until… that day. Anyways, how’s the search for your brother going?”

Jiyeong sighed deeply. “I don’t know.” Her voice was small, which was unlike her. “I know that he’s here, but the boys I see every day… I don’t think I can find my brother among them. I barely know anything about him; I don’t know what to do.” As Taehyung turned his head slightly to stare at her, she quickly added, “But don’t think I’m giving up. I’m Jiyeong! Giving up isn’t in my dictionary.” She flashed him a quick smile.

Tilting his head, Taehyung narrowed his eyes as if thinking. “That must be hard… It’s not like you can do a DNA test on everyone…” His voice trailed off. The wind filled the silence for a moment. Just then, Taehyung snapped his fingers, making Jiyeong jump. “I got it. In the clinic, there is a file where seniors have their health forms. They’re all handwritten, which means that you will be able to find the one with your brother’s handwriting. And this time, you’ll be able to match the handwriting with a name.”

Jiyeong’s eyes brightened. “Oh my gosh, you’re a genius!” Without thinking, she threw her arms around the boy, making him jump. “Oh, sorry.” Jiyeong quickly pulled away. Taehyung had stiffened and a shade of red had spread across his cheeks. However, the girl was too busy contemplating her next task to notice.

“Who’s the school nurse?” she piped up.

Taehyung struggled to regain his composure. “Um, I believe it’s Mr. Park. He’s new this year, so I have no clue what he’s like. However, it won’t be smart to ask to see the file, because it’s technically against the school rules to see it. The health forms are private.”

The girl nodded slowly. “Then I’ll just have to sneak in sometime. It’s going to take a while to go through all those forms, though. Don’t worry; I’ll think of something.” She looked up at Taehyung. “You’ll be my sidekick, right?”

Letting out a laugh, Taehyung nodded. “Always.”

The two were silent for a moment, enjoying each other’s company. “By the way,” Jiyeong spoke out, “Did you accept the role in the new movie Hoseok’s dad’s company is sponsoring and Jungkook’s dad is directing? It must be a big step in your career.”

Taehyung let out an awkward laugh. “Um, actually, I rejected it.”

dropping open, Jiyeong turned to stare at him credulously. “Why? Did you not like the script that much or something? You were given the lead role!”

“Um…” Taehyung avoided her eyes. “I didn’t think I was ready for romantic comedies.” What Jiyeong didn’t know was that the boy had rejected the role because there were too many scenes were the male lead was intimate with the female lead. All the time he had been reading the script, his mind had drifted to Jiyeong.

“I just couldn’t do it,” he stated. His words flew off into the blowing wind.


“I have assigned partners,” Ms. Oh announced. Her words were immediately met with groans from the class. “You guys shouldn’t pair up with your friends all the time. It’ll be a nice change.”

Jiyeong rolled her eyes. They had just been assigned a month-long project and now, partners. She had not expected to suffer such difficulties while disguising as a boy in an all-boys high school. The project was supposed to be completed out of class – how in the world was she supposed to spend so much time with a boy she didn’t know?

As soon as Ms. Oh started calling out pairs, Jiyeong closed her eyes and crossed her fingers, wishing to all the divine beings in the heavens above that her partner would be Taehyung.

“Jiyeong and Jimin.”

Jiyeong’s eyes flew open and did likewise. She automatically turned her head and met eyes with her new partner. He was smirking at her, with his small eyes curved into half-moons.

 


It's been too long!! Here's finally an update, wonderful readers! Thank you for being so patient!!!! ;)