Her Brother

House of Secrets

Jiyeong lay in bed. Her mind felt like ocean waves: tossing and turning. She put her fingers to her lips, which were still tingling. That was her first kiss.

As soon as Hoseok whispered those words Jiyeong had fled. Her emotions had been in turmoil and she hadn’t known what to do so she did the most primeval thing: escape. She escaped into Jungkook’s room.

Thankfully, her friend had been sleeping on the bed. Therefore, he didn’t witness the flush on her cheeks and the confusion in her eyes.

Why? That word tumbled around her mind. Why? Why did Hoseok say those words? Why did he say – well, indirectly – that he was in love with her? He wasn’t the type to form feelings toward someone, much less relationships. Jiyeong doubted he had any real friends (at least in his mind). Did he understand what love was?

What Jiyeong had seen in him was a boy who needed people in his life who truly cared about him. And he needed to feel that.

Did she feel anything else for him? Jiyeong put a hand over her chest. Her heart was still beating rapidly. Was that because of the adrenaline or something else? She closed her eyes.

How was she going to face him in the morning?


“Jiyeong!” Jungkook cried out for the tenth time. Exasperation colored his voice. “Get up! You’re going to be late for school!”

“I don’t want to get up,” Jiyeong muttered. She had thrown the cover over her head. She was holding onto the pillow as if for dear life.

“Jin made pancakes!” Jungkook said. He thought that Jiyeong’s favorite breakfast would make her budge, but it didn’t so much as elicit a mumble.

Jiyeong suddenly felt a heavy weight on top of her. “You’re suffocating me!” she screamed, but it was muffled by the cover.

“Okay, okay.” Jungkook got off. “Would you please wake up now?”

As soon as the cover came off, Jungkook gasped. He reached over and touched the place right under Jiyeong’s puffy eyes. “Did you not sleep?”

“What?” Jiyeong snapped.

“Dark circles.” Jungkook quickly removed his hand as if he was bitten by a snake.

Jiyeong sighed heavily. Jungkook threw a questioning look at her, but she ignored him and stumbled out of the room.

She peeked into the living room. No one was there. She turned her gaze to the kitchen.

“Boo!”

Jiyeong screamed when she heard the whisper in her ear. She whirled around and saw Jimin inches away from her face. “What the heck?” she screeched.

“Is it another cockroach?” Taehyung came over from the kitchen.

Jimin poked Jiyeong’s cheek. “You’re so puffy! What did you eat for dinner last night?” he laughed.

Jiyeong gave him the death glare. Jimin’s smile faded.

“Don’t ; she’s not in her best mood today,” Jungkook said as he walked past the three into the kitchen.

‘Where’s, um, everyone else?” Jiyeong ventured out. Her eyes nervously wandered around the House of Secrets.

“Well, Suga and Hoseok Hyung went to school,” Taehyung said. Jiyeong tried not to show an expression of relief. “And Namjoon Hyung said that he felt sick so he’s in his room.”

Jiyeong suddenly felt much better. It was fine – for now. “Are there any pancakes left?”


“Can you sort these pills? I accidently dropped them from their cases and they got mixed together.” The school doctor pushed his glasses up his tall nose bridge and glanced at Jiyeong. Jiyeong nodded and turned to the pills with a determined look in her eyes. This was her first job as the school nurse assistant.

She would make sure he trusted her before she made a move. She felt guilty about deceiving him in the future, but it couldn’t be helped. Also, it wouldn’t harm anyone, right?

Suddenly she felt a presence behind her. She looked up to see Jin. “I’ll help out,” he said softly. Stepping to her side, he began collecting red pills.

“Guys, I have to go turn in a form to the front office. You both can stay here for a while without me, right?” Dr. Park said.

Jiyeong felt her heart skip a beat. She hadn’t expected the chance to run through the medical forms would come so soon. She bit her lip to contain her excitement and nodded, not pausing in her collecting of blue pills.

“Okay, then. Thanks, you two.” Jiyeong willed herself not to turn around and check whether he was gone until she heard the door softly close. She glanced up at Jin, unable to hide a smile. He was staring right back at her with a pleased expression on his face.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out the letter from her brother. It was getting wrinkly – Jiyeong could not believe it had already been half a semester since she received it. She tried to smooth the crease out partially.

Meanwhile, Jin was opening the file cabinet. He withdrew the first two files, labeled Kang and Kim. “I’ll watch out for Dr. Park,” he said as he handed it to Jiyeong. She nodded gratefully.

There were five people in total for Kang. Jiyeong’s eyes scanned the individual forms: Daniel Kang, Daehan Kang, Yohan Kang, Jino Kang, and Taeho Kang. None of them matched.

She began searching the Kim folder. This folder was pretty thick; there were many people with Kim as their last name. Sweat began to form on her brow; she knew she didn’t have much time left.

Suddenly, a certain form caught her eye. The neat handwriting… it had to be her brother’s. Glancing at the letter nearby, she was correct. Her heart started beating rapidly and she glanced at the name. A gasp escaped her lips.

The name on the form was Namjoon Kim.

 


Hey guys!! How are you? This story is soon coming to a close so be with me 'til the end!! Comment! Subscribe! Upvote! :D