An Unexpected Guest

House of Secrets

The following day, at six o’clock, Jiyeong found herself in a midnight blue dress with her hair (she was wearing a long, brown-haired wig) and make-up done by Miyoung, a make-up artist and hair stylist who was a good friend of Taehyung’s. She was surrounded by several people who she had seen at least once in a magazine or on TV and soft music drifted from a nearby orchestra. The very air seemed to be aristocratic. She didn’t feel like herself, much less look like herself.

“Thank you for coming,” Taehyung whispered in her ear. He was standing next to her holding a glass of red liquid. A few seconds ago, Jiyeong and he had argued that it would or wouldn’t contain alcohol. Jiyeong had ended the short argument with a huffy “Do what you want, under-aged child.”

“I feel like a totally different person in a weird storybook,” Jiyeong muttered. “Like a twisted version of Cinderella.”

“You look amazing.” The boy’s voice was sincere, but Jiyeong frowned, feeling uncomfortable in the dress. Also, the wig made her head hot and stuffy – she had become so accustomed to short hair. Maybe when a year passed and she didn’t have to pretend to be a boy anymore, she would still keep her hair short.

“If I trip on this dress,” Jiyeong started in a warning tone.

“I’ll catch you,” Taehyung finished.

The girl blinked at the unexpected answer. “Um, you probably won’t be fast enough. I’ll look like a total fool and embarrass you.”

“Don’t worry, you’ll be fine.”

Suddenly feeling awkward, Jiyeong scanned the crowd. More celebrities wearing flashy clothes and blinding grins and people in expensive business suits with a distinguished air around them (probably successful businessmen) caught her eye. Suddenly, a familiar figure entered her vision. Squinting, she made sure she wasn’t seeing things. Then she involuntarily gasped.

“Taehyung!” she hissed, tugging on the sleeve of the boy’s tuxedo. “Is that who I think it is?”

As soon as Taehyung saw the other boy, he turned pale. Hoseok was walking around next to an old man in a crisp suit, wearing a tuxedo and with his signature cold expression on his face. The old man seemed to be going around greeting other people in suits. Jiyeong took him for Hoseok’s dad.

“I didn’t know he would be here,” Taehyung whispered hoarsely. “He wasn’t on the invitation list, I believe.”

“Why would he be at a party where people in the entertainment business come?” Jiyeong asked. Her eyes trailed on the emotionless boy.

“His dad is the CEO of Big Sky Entertainment,” her companion replied. The girl’s jaw dropped. Hoseok’s dad was the CEO of an entertainment company?

“You don’t happen to be part of that company, do you?”

Taehyung shook his head furiously. “I’m part of Red Hawk Entertainment. That company mainly releases movies and dramas while my company manages actors and actresses.”

Jiyeong suddenly remembered that she didn’t have her boy disguise on at the moment. She whirled around to turn her back towards Hoseok, who was approaching her section. “He might recognize me!” she hissed.

“Taehyung Kim, isn’t it?” A deep voice made her freeze. She cautiously turned slightly to see Hoseok’s dad shaking hands with her partner. “You’re a new actor, aren’t you? I heard that you’re gaining popularity from your role in the movie ‘Star-catchers.’” Jiyeong’s jaw dropped. ‘Star-catchers’ had been a big hit over the summer, although she never got the chance to see it. Taehyung had been in that movie?

Taehyung bowed to the man. “Thank you, sir,” he said respectfully. The girl next to him made a mental note to go watch that film sometime to see what role he had played.

The man turned to Jiyeong, who still refused to show her face to him. Hoseok was probably standing next to him. “And who may she be?” Hoseok’s dad asked.

“Ah.” Even as an actor, Taehyung was struggling to be calm. “She’s my partner for tonight. She’s actually a close friend of mine; her name is Jina Kim.”

Jiyeong turned to face the man, dipping her head slightly to make her curls cover part of her face. “Nice to meet you,” she squeaked.

Hoseok’s dad looked a little confused at her behavior. “Well, it’s a pleasure to meet Taehyung Kim’s friend,” he said. He glanced back at Taehyung. “The weather is quite nice this evening. Do you mind stepping out on the balcony for a moment to discuss the movie Big Sky is preparing to film this fall? I would like to offer you the position of the male lead. I believe the director of this film will be the acclaimed Mr. Jeon.” Jiyeong widened her eyes. Mr. Jeon was Jungkook’s dad.

Surprise flitted on Taehyung’s face. However, he glanced at Jiyeong first, reluctant to leave her by herself. Jiyeong made eyes to him that said, “You should go. It might be an once-in-a-lifetime chance.” Still, the boy hesitated for a good ten seconds before leaving with the CEO.

The girl was now left alone with Hoseok, whose face was still emotionless. Feeling awkward about the silence surrounding them and scared of being found out, Jiyeong tried to casually walk away. However, Hoseok spoke out, making her flinch. “Have we met before?” he asked in his cold voice. “You look familiar.” Jiyeong felt the blood drain from her face.

 


It's been quite a long time, readers! I've missed you guys!!! ;)

It's been a hectic month, going back to school. However, I will stick with this story until it is finished! Keep reading, lovely readers! Also, if you haven't already, subscribe! And if you have something tickling your tongue, tell me in the comments section! I love reading your thoughts~