Back Home

House of Secrets

“Because…” Words failed Jiyeong. Why did she care?

“I don’t know!” she said, frustrated. “I just do, okay! I don’t even know why, but I care! That feeling… at least… is sincere.”

Hoseok was quiet for a moment. His laptop was forgotten.

“Let’s go get a drink,” the girl finally spoke. “You really need a break. That, I do know.”

Within five minutes, she had managed to persuade the cold boy to join her at the huge window in the business room with a can coffee in each of their hands. Hoseok was silently holding his drink, looking outside at the scenery through the glass.

“Don’t you feel calmer? That’s the wonder of a simple break,” Jiyeong stated with a smile. She joined the boy in staring outside. She didn’t see his eyes wander to her. Nor did she see the confusion in his eyes.

“It’s only a few minutes, but it’ll relieve some of your stress. Then you can get back to your work more energized than before. It’s quite helpful,” Jiyeong added. She turned to glance at the boy. “I won’t bother you afterwards.” She smiled.

After a couple of minutes of silence, Jiyeong walked to the door to leave. Hoseok stared after her. Before exiting the room, the girl turned with an afterthought. “We’re friends right?”

Hoseok said nothing but just stared at her. With a nod and a small smile, Jiyeong left.


“So what did you do all day?” Taehyung asked. He had just entered the motel room and collapsed onto the blankets on the floor, tired from the day’s hike. According to him, it was five hours long and he was too exhausted to enjoy the view properly. He called it the Taejong High “military march.”

“Um, I just, you know, wandered around,” Jiyeong answered evasively. She glanced at her phone screen. “Aren’t you going to eat dinner?”

The boy groaned and shook his head. “I’m dead tired. I can’t possibly walk all the way there.”

“Well, Jungkook told me that he’d meet me at the dining hall downstairs.”

Taehyung’s head immediately lifted to get a good look at her face. “Just curious, but what are your feelings toward Jungkook?”

Taken aback by the random question, Jiyeong froze. “What do you mean?”

“Like… are you guys just close friends? Or…” The boy’s voice faded.

“He’s my best friend. I couldn’t live without him,” Jiyeong declared without hesitation.

With an unreadable expression, Taehyung said, “Oh.”

“Well, should I bring you something? You might get hungry later.”

The boy lowered his head back down onto his pillow. “I’m not hungry.”

“Um, okay.” Feeling awkward silence in the air, Jiyeong left.


“I’m glad the trip is over,” Jiyeong groaned. She leaned herself back into the plane seat. It wasn’t as scary anymore during take-off. “It was really boring being at the motel for two whole days during the trip.”

“Trust me, you were lucky enough to stay behind those days,” Taehyung muttered. He winced as he thought of the long hikes. “You got a ticket out of military practice.”

“I’ll now be able to start trying to find my brother again,” the girl stated softly. Taehyung glanced at her, who looked both full of anticipation and worry.

He reached over and squeezed his hand. “You’ll find him.”

“Hey!” The two jumped at Jimin’s voice. He was standing in the aisle, looming over Jiyeong, on his way to the plane’s bathroom. “Are you two holding hands?” His voice was jeering.

Taehyung quickly pulled his hand away. “Jiyeong told me that his parents passed away when he was young. I was just comforting him.”

“Is he a sissy?” Jimin snapped.

“Jimin!” Jiyeong had never seen Taehyung look so angry before. “Are you calling him a sissy for being sad about his parents passing away?”

Jimin frowned. “It’s not like my parents haven’t,” he snarled. “And I’m fine with that.” He quickly walked away.

Jiyeong had seen the boy’s expression change before he walked off. “Jimin’s an orphan?” she whispered in surprise.

Taehyung nodded. “His parents passed away when he was a teen, I believe.”

The girl was silent for a moment. So Jimin had a scar inside of him, too. That thought led her to think of Hoseok. The two boys were obviously the ones who were so against sharing secrets inside the House of Secrets. The two also had scars from family.

‘Since I became a member of the family in the House, I’ll find a way to mend their hearts so we can all get along together under the same roof. While I’m looking for my brother, I’ll also try to make all the residents one day say that we’re all friends,’ Jiyeong thought. With that goal in her head, she fell asleep.


Not a day passed when the residents of the House of Secrets returned to their house when Taehyung approached Jiyeong, who was reading by herself in the living room. Everyone was busy today, locked in their own rooms. “Jiyeong, I have, um, a favor to ask of you.”

The said girl looked up with mild surprise. Taehyung wasn’t the type to act so hesitant. “What is it?” she asked immediately.

“Do you mind going with me to a formal gathering tomorrow night?” The boy said it in a rush, as if getting it out of his system at once. It took Jiyeong a few seconds to understand his words.

“What?” Even after understanding it, she didn’t understand.

“I mean, could you go with me while pretending to be a girl? Well, not pretending – I mean, without your boy disguise. I need to go with a partner and if I have no one, my company’s going to make me go with one of its snobby fashion models.” Taehyung was pointedly looking at the ceiling. Jiyeong had never seen him look so nervous.

“This is a bad idea,” she muttered. However, she always felt that she owed Taehyung for being so nice to her and hiding her secret. Anyways, they were pretty much friends now, right? But in this case…

“The press isn’t allowed inside,” Taehyung quickly stated. “No one will stare at you weirdly because I’m not that popular in the entertainment department since I’m a new-bee. It’s just a social gathering with people associated with entertainment business.”

“Must you go?” Jiyeong mumbled.

“It’s my first time at one. It’s supposed to be the most popular gathering every year for people in the business to get to know each other. It’s pretty important for me,” the boy admitted. “By the way, can you not tell anyone? Even Jungkook?”

The girl was quiet for a moment. ‘I wonder if Jungkook’s dad will be there,’ she thought.

 


Sorry for such a late update, amazing readers! I'm getting quite busy nowadays but don't worry - this story is still alive and well! ;)

Keep commenting!! You can tell me which boy you want Jiyeong to end up with (haha). Have a wonderful day~ <3