Jealousy

House of Secrets

“You don’t hang out with me anymore,” Jungkook whined. Jiyeong rolled her eyes as the boy pouted cutely.

“You’re the one always busy doing the homework from your theater and film classes,” the girl muttered. Jungkook made his eyes into half-moons and acted like a sad puppy.

Jiyeong stared at him weirdly. “If the student body finds out that the cold Jungkook whose father is a famous movie director is actually someone who does aegyo, someone’s going to have a heart attack.”

Jungkook puffed out his cheeks. The girl leaned over and poked one, deflating it. She let out a genuine laugh, making Jungkook return to normal and smile.

“So how’s your ‘project’ going on?” Jungkook asked, making quotation signs with his fingers. He knew that Jiyeong had passed out the surveys that day to the juniors and seniors of the school.

“It’s fine. Taehyung and Jimin helped out a lot.”

The boy’s jaw dropped. “Taehyung and Jimin?” he repeated, dumbfounded.

Jiyeong nodded. “You know, they can be really nice sometimes.” Then she froze. “Oh, by the way,” she added guiltily, “I forgot to tell you that Taehyung already found out that I’m a girl.”

For a moment, Jiyeong thought that Jungkook had turned into stone. “What?” he finally exploded.

“He found out during the cockroach-in-the-bathroom incident. You know, when I screamed like a girl, according to Hoseok Hyung?”

“In the bathroom?” Jungkook cried out, turning red.

“Oh, I wasn’t… you know… I was wearing a towel,” Jiyeong said lamely. “Anyways, he’s really supportive of my goal. He promised that he wouldn’t tell anyone else. He also helped me cut out my surveys.”

Jungkook closed his eyes. He seemed to be struggling to regain his composure. “Does… does anyone else know?”

Jiyeong shook her head. “I don’t think so.”

The boy breathed out a shaky sigh. “I admit that Taehyung seems like a good guy, but if anyone else finds out…” He looked up to look into Jiyeong’s eyes. His eyes seemed to be filled with sadness, anger, and an unusual emotion.

“Thanks for worrying about me,” Jiyeong said. She clapped her friend on the shoulder. “Really, I couldn’t get so far without you.” Her eyes softened. “You don’t know how much I owe you,” she whispered.

Jungkook shook his head furiously. “You don’t know how much you mean to me,” he whispered back.

The girl paused, shocked at the seriousness of his tone. “As the best friend in the world,” he added with a nervous laugh, catching onto her uncomfortable expression.


“Are the surveys coming in?” Taehyung whispered to Jiyeong before their homeroom teacher entered the classroom the next day.

Jiyeong nodded. “I’ve received nearly all the juniors’. Yet the seniors don’t seem to be as interested.”

Taehyung reached over and stretched Jiyeong’s mouth upwards with his fingers to make it look like she was smiling. “Be optimistic. I’m sure that they’ll hand theirs in soon enough.”

Jiyeong gazed up at him gratefully. “Thanks.”

“Hello, students!” The young teacher entered with a bright smile on her face. “Did you all hear about the trip to Jejudo next week?”

While several students hooted in anticipation, a look of shock spread across Jiyeong’s face. A trip?

“On Monday, we will be boarding the plane at the airport for a three-day, two-night field trip. I guess we should assign partners since Jejudo is a big place. If any of us get separated by any chance, it’s best to be with a buddy. Therefore, your partner will be someone you will have to spend the whole trip with. He will be your flight’s seat buddy and your roommate at the motel.”

“Ms. Yoon!” Jimin cried out from the front seat. “I would like to partner up with Jiyeong!” Jiyeong’s jaw dropped. Her expression of shock turned into one of horror.

“Okay, Jimin, you can choose your partner later.” Ms. Oh glanced at the boy sternly. “Anyways-”

As the teacher kept talking about the plans of the trip, Jiyeong’s thoughts were buzzing. This was very bad. Was there a chance she could get a pass not to go? Jungkook wasn’t even in this class too…

Taehyung leaned to the left and nudged Jiyeong, breaking her line of thoughts. “Let’s partner up,” he mouthed. “It’s safer.”

Jiyeong couldn’t do anything at the moment but nod furiously. Taehyung was the only person in this class who knew her secret, and anything was better than pairing up with Jimin. That annoying boy would find out that she was a girl the minute they reached Jejudo.

“…And the seniors will be going too. On the first day, we all will spend time together, but on the second and third, we will take our separate routes,” Ms. Oh continued.

Leaning over on her desk, she let out a soft groan. Why go on a trip now, of all time? Right when she was expecting to receive the surveys from the seniors… The only speck of hope she had was to run into someone who seemed like her brother during the first day of the trip.

“Jiyeong?” The girl heard her name being called by her teacher in a concerned manner. “Are you feeling unwell?”

“I’m fine, Ms. Oh,” she mumbled. Taehyung glanced at her worriedly.


“You’re rooming with Taehyung?” The shock in Jungkook’s voice was evident.

“Um… there was no choice. And it seems like the school drags along every junior and senior unless someone’s lying in his deathbed,” Jiyeong muttered. “At least that’s what Jimin told me. I’m thankful that at least Taehyung’s in my class.”

The boy suddenly placed a hand on each of her shoulder and turned her so she would face him.

“Do you like him?” Jungkook’s serious gaze was unnerving.

“W-what do you mean? I l-like everyone in this house. Everyone’s so nice, even though they d-don’t act like it,” Jiyeong stammered.

Jungkook’s grip tightened. Jiyeong winced. “You know what I mean,” he said quietly.

“I don’t like him in that way, if that’s what you’re asking.” She placed a hand on top of one of his. “Jungkook, it hurts.”

Jungkook released her. He was still staring intensely into her eyes. “Jiyeong, I-”

The door opened. “Um, Jungkook, Jin’s calling for you.” Namjoon’s eyes widened when he saw the two’s positions. “Am I… interrupting anything?” Jiyeong wanted to face-palm herself at the older boy’s awkward wording.

The younger boy shook his head. “I’ll go. He’s probably going to tell me I have living-room-vacuuming-duty tonight.” He stood and left, as if nothing was wrong. Namjoon followed him looking bemused.

Jiyeong closed her eyes. What was that?

 


How is the story so far? ;)

I'm so glad that you guys are enjoying this story! Thank you so much!!!

P.S. I think that the answer to the last sentence is the chapter's title. XP