Persistence

House of Secrets

“Taehyung.” At the familiar cold voice, Taehyung uttered a groan. Why wouldn’t Hoseok leave him alone? Then a frown formed on his face. It wasn’t like Hoseok to pester any resident of the House, much less anyone. Why was he so keen on figuring out the identity of the girl (Jiyeong)? It wasn’t just getting on Taehyung’s nerves; it was scaring him.

“If it’s about that girl, I don’t know her that well. She’s training to be an actress in my company,” Taehyung said flatly. He didn’t even turn to look at Hoseok, who was standing at the doorway.

“But you seemed to be so… intimate with her.” Taehyung cringed at the word “intimate.” Who did Hoseok think he was?

“Well, it’s a social gathering. We must look like we know each other well in public.”

“She… reminded me of Jiyeong.”

Those words hit a heavy blow. Taehyung began choking on his own spit. “W-what?”

“I said, she looked like Jiyeong,” Hoseok snapped.

“I didn’t think so.” Taehyung struggled to keep calm. Suddenly, he saw a hand in his peripheral vision. He nearly screamed. However, it was just Hoseok, who had entered his room and was standing next to him with an outstretched hand. Taehyung’s eyes nearly popped out when he saw the familiar shiny item in the palm of the other boy’s hand. Wait – there were two of them!

“W-where did you get that?” Taehyung was whiter than the Y-shirt he was wearing.

Hoseok arched an eyebrow. “I found one lying on the floor of the hallway. The girl dropped the other at the party,” he answered.

Taehyung racked his brains. Then he smoothly entered actor-mode. “Why, to tell you the truth…” Taehyung paused for effect. “It’s a secret, but I’m actually dating that girl. She told me that she lost her earring during the party, so I told her to give me the other one and I’ll find a pair exactly the same as her old ones. I guess I dropped it without knowing – I had wondered where it went. I had been hesitating to tell her that I lost it…” Taehyung forced a smile on his face. “Thanks for finding the whole pair. She’ll be delighted.”

Hoseok didn’t move to hand him the earrings. “Yet you forgot your girlfriend’s last name,” Hoseok commented drily.

Taehyung fought the urge to sigh. “Did I say ‘Kim’ at the party? I guess I was so shocked to meet you and your father that I accidently ‘gave’ her my last name. She’s Jina Lee.”

Without another word, Taehyung swiftly snatched the earrings from Hoseok’s hand. Hoseok stood there for a moment, and then left. As soon as his figure was gone, Taehyung leaned his head down on his desk. The sigh he was containing escaped his mouth.


A knock came on Jungkook’s door. Jungkook, who was sitting at his desk, frowned. “Who is it?” he called out.

“It’s Hoseok.” His presence made a similar effect on Jungkook at it did with Taehyung. “Is Jiyeong in there? I need to talk to him.”

Jungkook’s brows came together. “Jiyeong? Why?” he shouted before the girl could respond.

“It’s… I need to talk to him.” At those words, Jungkook just got more suspicious. He glanced at the girl. Jiyeong’s eyes were round.

“Why?” Jungkook mouthed. Jiyeong shrugged. As she got off the bed she was sitting on and moved towards the door, her friend grabbed her wrist. “You don’t know what he wants,” Jungkook muttered under his breath.

“That’s why I should ask.” Jiyeong pulled her arm free and opened the door. Hoseok was standing on the other side so close to the door that they nearly touched. Jiyeong nearly jumped back, but the boy stepped aside. As Jungkook casted the two annoyed glances, Jiyeong stepped out into the hallway and closed the door behind her.

“What?” Jiyeong said. “Are you mad at that I brought Suga Sunbae? I couldn’t-”

“It’s not about that.” Hoseok’s tone was impatient. He looked Jiyeong straight in her eyes, freezing her into place. “Jiyeong, do you happen to have a sister?”

Flabbergasted, Jiyeong opened and then closed it. She repeated the action. Words failed her.

“Is your sister named Jina Lee?” Hoseok threw out another question. Jiyeong’s eyes bulged – she finally understood what the boy was talking about.

“No. Why?” she croaked.

“During a social gathering of famous actors, actresses, and CEOS, I saw someone who looked exactly like you. Yet she was a girl. She could’ve passed for your twin.” Hoseok’s gaze seemed to pierce her soul.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I have no sister.” Jiyeong feigned confusion.

“Are you sure?”

“Of course I am!” the girl burst out, surprising Hoseok. Hoseok was silent for a moment, and then left for his room.

Jiyeong was like a statue in the hallway, silent and motionless. Questions whirled around in her head. She shook it, as if trying to physically get rid of them. She should’ve never have gone to that party.

“He was talking about you, right?” Jiyeong froze at those words. She looked up to see Suga walking down the hallway with a towel thrown over his shoulders.

“W-what?”

“The girl who looked like you. That was you, right?”

 


Hello again, readers!!! Happy winter break! I've been a zombie for the last couple of weeks as I wrapped up my semester, but now I'm back! With more updates!! :D

Hope that you will find the time to comment! Love you guys!