Birthday Surprise

House of Secrets

“Dr. Park,” Jin said. Jin and the school doctor were side-by-side, filling medicine boxes for each of the teachers’ offices for the three grades.

“Hmm?” The doctor didn’t look up from filling a box of bandages.

“I was wondering what you thought about having two assistants here. Since there are only two of us, sometimes it’s hard for us to pick up our orders from the pharmacy on time or clean the clinic regularly.”

A moment of silence aded the room. Jin looked up at Dr. Park, who finally closed the box in front of him with a snap of the lock. “You’re right. But it’s going to be hard to find a teacher who is willing to let a student skip his or her class in the middle of the school year.

A small smile crept onto the boy’s face. “I know someone who has a free period now!” He struggled not to get too excited. “His name is Jiyeong. He’s a junior.”

“Hmm, really? Then you should bring him in tomorrow.” The doctor stacked the finished boxes. “Do you mind going to the offices and dropping these off?” His tone was calm and collected as usual. Jin had always wondered if nothing got to this man. Even last year when a freshman had come with a broken rib bone he hadn’t batted an eye.

Jin gathered the boxes. This was a weekly chore he enjoyed. Almost every time, he got the chance to see Jiyeong wandering the hallways. Today he would be able to tell her the good news.

Just as he expected, he saw Jiyeong wandering around the second floor. She smiled when she saw him coming down the hallway. “Hyung!” she called out cheerfully.

“Jiyeong! Dr. Park said that he could let you be his assistant!” Jin grinned back.

“Really? You mean like you?”

“Yeah! We’re one step closer to being able to see the health records and finding your brother!” Jin was a little flushed with excitement. Jiyeong felt her lips stretch as she saw the senior acting so unlike himself.

“Thanks a lot!”


Feeling thirsty, Jiyeong headed to the kitchen as soon as she got home. She immediately spotted Namjoon, Taehyung, and Jimin huddling in a triangle near the kitchen counter.

She tilted her head. “What are you guys doing?” she asked. The three jumped at her voice and stared at her with guilty expressions, making the girl even more suspicious of their weird behavior.

“We’re going to make a cake for tonight!” Jimin announced.

“It’s Jin’s birthday today,” Namjoon explained.

Jiyeong’s jaw dropped open. “What?! I saw him this afternoon and I had no clue!”

“Well, now you know.” Jimin smirked. “We’re going to go shopping to buy the ingredients. Want to come?”

Namjoon scribbled on the piece of paper. “Butter, flour, white frosting…” he murmured as he wrote each ingredient down.

“Hey, Hyung. I thought you were right-handed,” Jimin commented. Jiyeong glanced at Namjoon’s hand and realized that his left hand was slightly trembling as he was writing, as if he was unaccustomed to using that hand.

“Oh, I decided to train my left hand after I nearly ruined my right one writing two essays for English and history class.”

Jimin wrinkled his nose as he studied the growing list. “Your handwriting with that hand is horrible. I bet not even you can read that.”

“Can Jungkook come?” Taehyung asked Jiyeong.

She shook her head. “He’s still at school. He’s with the school film club; I think they’re supposed to prepare their latest film to present on Parents’ Day.”

“Parents’ Day?” Jimin snorted. “As if any of our parents are going.”

“Well…” Jiyeong glanced at Taehyung and Namjoon. She knew that Jungkook’s dad was too busy and her and Jimin’s parents were gone, but Taehyung and Namjoon had parents, didn’t they?

“My parents live in the country. My grandpa is ill, so they can’t come,” Taehyung said as if reading her glance.

“And my parents…” Namjoon’s voice trailed off.

“They’re not on speaking terms as of now. I think Hyung came here to escape them or something,” Jimin whispered into Jiyeong’s ear. “I’ve met them. They’re not exactly the friendliest parents in the world.”

“How about Jin?” Jiyeong didn’t want to sound nosy, but she was curious.

“He lived with his grandpa before he came here. I don’t think his parents are alive,” Namjoon answered.

Jiyeong nodded slowly, biting her lip. Hoseok and Suga were likewise. All of them had either really busy parents or no parents at all. She fought a sigh from escaping her lips. She guessed that it was that similarity that had brought all of them together.

Jiyeong stumbled into the house with her hands full of groceries and nearly bumped into a familiar figure. She looked up to see a frown she was accustomed to but currently dreading.

“Hoseok Hyung,” she whispered. This was the first time she saw him after the incident when her identity was revealed.

The boy did not give her a second glance and walked past her in a few brisk steps. He exited the door, nearly crashing into Jimin, who was carrying a huge bag of rice.

“Whoa! Hyung! Watch where you’re going!” the younger boy complained. “I swear, if I drop this on my toe…”

“He’s… he’s still mad, isn’t he?” Jiyeong murmured as the rest of the boys entered the house.

“Don’t sweat it.” Jimin snorted. “It took him weeks to tolerate my presence when all I did was borrow his watch. And there wasn’t a single scratch on it when I returned it!”

“That’s because you didn’t ask him before you borrowed it,” Namjoon stated.

Jimin rolled his eyes. “As I said, don’t worry. It can’t take longer than a year for him to cool off.”

A year… Jiyeong paled.

“He’s teasing you.” Taehyung put two of his bags down to put a comforting hand on the girl’s shoulder. “It’s take him a while to calm down, but he doesn’t hate you.”

“Yeah, he’s always like that.” Jimin adjusted his grip on the bag of rice and winced. “Now can we quickly go and place this stuff down?”

 


It's been WAY TOO LONG guys! Now I'll try to upload more since summer break is coming! :D

Please comment! Love you all~!