Homeless

House of Secrets

“Where’s Suga Sunbae?” Jiyeong asked. She was looking around the cafeteria while sitting at her regular table with the regular members, minus the red-haired boy.

Jungkook shrugged next to her. “Maybe he didn’t come to school today.”

Jin frowned. “I think he was in my third period class.”  

“Maybe he’s not hungry,” Jimin suggested through a mouthful of Oreos. Jin’s frown deepened as he stared at the spray of black crumbs coming from the younger boy’s mouth.

“You’re disgusting,” Jin commented in a flat tone. “Don’t talk with your mouth full.” A bitter quarrel began.

Jiyeong ignored the two boys and narrowed her eyes, as if doing so would make her be able to spot Suga among the crowd of sitting boys. Her sandwich was untouched in front of her. Taehyung nudged her from her other side. “You need to eat,” he said gently.

The girl nodded and took a bite out of her turkey sandwich. It tasted like sandpaper because she was too busy worrying about Suga.

Later, during P.E., Jiyeong wandered through the halls again and stopped in front of the unused music classroom. She could hear a harsh voice talking inside. She slipped into the room.

The boy she had been looking for had his back turned to her. He was spitting out words into an old, battered phone he was holding to his ear. “So you’re going to kick me out? What do you have against me? The problem is between you guys and him, not me!”

Jiyeong froze at Suga’s sharp tone, which was dripping with fury. “I am not the son of that piece of sh**!” To the listening girl’s shock, Suga’s voice caught at the end. It sounded like he was on the verge of bursting into tears.

The boy lowered the phone from his ear, as if the other end had hung up. The hand around his phone was trembling noticeably. Jiyeong uncertainly took a step forward.

“What’s wrong?” the girl managed to whisper.

The boy swirled around, making Jiyeong jump. His glaring eyes glistened with unshed tears. “What is wrong with you and minding your own business?” he screamed. Jiyeong stumbled backwards as if his yell had physically pushed her away. Then she frowned and steadied herself.

“I may not be able to help, but I can try!” she shouted back. Suga flinched. Jiyeong knew that her shrill voice was getting higher and higher, like a girl’s, but she didn’t care at the moment. “If you keep hiding within yourself and your problems without opening up to anyone, your situation won’t get any better!”

“Why should you care?” Suga yelled.

“Because I do!” Jiyeong was yelling on top of her lungs. Then she quickly lowered her voice in fear someone walking around in the hallway would hear her. “Please.” It came out nearly as a whisper. “You can trust me,” she stated, remembering the last time she comforted a crying Suga.

Suga slumped to the ground, still holding the phone. Jiyeong sat down a foot in front of him expectantly.

“I don’t have a home anymore.” Suga’s dull words widened the girl’s eyes.

“What?”

“I said, I don’t have a home anymore!” Suga pounded a fist on the ground in a desperate and furious manner. He let out a huge sigh. “The loan sharks chasing after my alcoholic dad just took over our little house. Not that my dad even lives there anymore; he’s always on the run, stealing alcohol and stuff. He always borrows from the wrong people and never pays them back. He always gets drunk stupidly and wanders around, not caring a da** about me.” Suga hung his head, as if hiding his tears from the girl.

Jiyeong reached out immediately to put a hand on his drooping shoulder. “Are the loan sharks coming after you too?” Concern colored her voice.

Suga didn’t lift his head. “I’m underage. I have no money. Technically, they earn nothing chasing after me. But… sometimes they came to my house looking for my dad and beat me-“ Jiyeong let out a horrified gasp “-when he wasn’t there – which was almost all my life – and threatened me to remind my dad to pay. However, he never paid them back…”

Biting her lip, Jiyeong racked her brain. “Should I call the police?”

“No!” Suga lifted his head in a flash, making Jiyeong jump again. “No.” His voice grew softer. “Don’t… It’ll change nothing. Only my dad would go to prison.” His head went down again.

Jiyeong’s eyes softened. Although the boy kept cursing his dad, he obviously cared about him. She hesitated, and then went over to put an arm around him.

“You can live with us,” she blurted out impulsively. She bit her lip. The House of Secrets wasn’t even her house; it was Jin’s and Namjoon was the one in charge of letting residents in. However, they were both understanding people; if she told them about Suga’s situation, wouldn’t they agree to let him in?

Suga shook his head. “It’s fine!” Jiyeong cried out. “I’m not letting you sleep out on the streets. The jerks will never find you at where we’re staying. By we, I mean the crew at our lunch table.” ‘And Hoseok,’ she added mentally. She would have to persuade them as soon as she got home.

“Give me your phone number. I’ll call you with Jungkook’s phone later.” Then she thought for a moment. “On the second thought, come home with me.”

 


It's been a long time, lovely readers! Please comment on the latest update!!! I always appreciate you guys being so patient! ;)