Cinderella

House of Secrets

Composing herself, Jiyeong stated, “I believe not. Who are you, sir?”

“I’m Hoseok Jung, the son of the CEO of Big Sky Entertainment. You don’t have to call me ‘sir.’ Anyways, are you sure? You resemble… someone.” Hoseok furrowed his brow as if trying to remember.

“I’m sorry, you must be mistaken.” Jiyeong stepped to the side, as if to leave. Hoseok stopped her by stepping in front of her.

“Are you going to leave me alone the whole time my father is away?” Hoseok snapped.

Jiyeong’s eyes widened. What was his problem? Wasn’t he the one who always wanted to be left alone? She was supposedly a stranger to him. Why was he acting so… clingy?

“You just remind me of someone,” Hoseok mumbled. He looked at the ground as if embarrassed. “You seem so familiar, and I despise being around strangers.”

Jiyeong just stared at the boy, who was still looking away from her. There were so many people that even if she did walk away from him, he wouldn’t be technically alone. The girl wondered if he was more afraid of being with strangers than being with someone familiar.

“Would you… like to dance?” The girl’s jaw dropped at the boy’s hesitant words. Hoseok was looking away, as if embarrassed. Jiyeong could plainly see the surprise on his face, as if he himself was shocked at his question.

“Umm…” Would he recognize her if she agreed? Somehow, she ended up taking his hand and he led her into the crowd of people dancing to the orchestra’s music.

Jiyeong couldn’t help but stare openly at Hoseok, who looked uncomfortable. This was beyond shocking; it was a miracle. The Hoseok she knew would never ask a girl to dance. Heck, she didn’t even know he could dance. She surely couldn’t; she was trying her best not to step on his polished shoes or trip in her heels.

“So… what brings you here?” she asked, trying to break the awkward silence surrounding the two.

Hoseok was still not looking into her eyes. “My father wanted to introduce me to several celebrities and CEOS.” His tone was bored. “I guess he just wants me to get used to being one of the main people of his business by attending formal gatherings such as this.”

“Oh.” Then before awkward silence could reign again, Jiyeong quickly added, “What do you think of it?”

Hoseok briefly glanced at her before looking away again. Then he turned his full attention towards her, as if scrutinizing her. “You do remind me of someone. A… friend.”

Jiyeong suddenly felt an urge to exclaim in excitement. “A-a friend?” she whispered, unable to believe her ears.

“Yes.” Hoseok furrowed his eyes. “Someone who taught me to take breaks in my life. Someone who told me there are people who care about me. Maybe that’s why I was drawn to you,” he admitted.

The girl gaped at his frank tone. She felt her heartbeat quickening.

“You look like him.” Hoseok cast his gaze away again. He seemed to be brooding.

Shocked beyond words, the girl couldn’t close . Her mind felt blank. Then she accidently lost her balance with a wrong step and felt herself start to fall.

“Oh!” Jiyeong exclaimed as she tightly closed her eyes. People were going to call her a fool for falling in the middle of the dance floor. However, the hard floor never greeted her. When she opened her eyes, she was staring into familiar brown orbs. Hoseok’s face was inches away from hers and his brow was furrowed not in anger or irritation but with worry. She felt his arms around her, which prevented her from falling. His new expression mesmerized her, and she could do nothing but stare at him with wide eyes.

“Are you alright?” he asked, snapping her back into reality.

Quickly finding her balance, she pulled away. “I’m sorry,” she said breathlessly. Her cheeks were a faint pink.

“It’s fine.” Hoseok looked concerned. Jiyeong really couldn’t trust her eyes and ears. Who was this person in front of her? Where was the cold and emotionless Hoseok who was a fellow resident who loved to keep to himself?

Jiyeong scanned the area, fearing that she had drawn unwanted attention to the two. However, everyone were talking in small groups, oblivious of what had happened.

“I’m sorry, I must go,” the girl whispered. She refused to look up at Hoseok’s face.

“Where?” Hoseok seemed confused.

“Um, I’m supposed to be home by midnight.” A lame excuse, she knew. But she couldn’t stay ard Hoseok any longer; her heart was beating so fast it seemed like she would get a heart attack any moment. Gathering the folds of her dress, she whirled around and dashed to the door, forgetting about Taehyung.

Once she was outside and the night breeze cooled her cheeks, she felt her head clearing and her heart slowing down. ‘That was embarrassing,’ she thought. ‘And it was a close one.’

Only then did she remember her partner. Sighing, she realized that she didn’t bring a phone. In fact, she had nothing with her. ‘I’ll call him as soon as I reach home,’ she decided. Jiyeong dashed to the road to hail a taxi. She’d have to pay the driver once she reached the House of Secrets. Maybe she could call for Jungkook to come out and lend her some money. Oh wait, screw that. Jungkook wasn’t supposed to know she even went to a party.

Inside the fancy building, Hoseok saw something small and shiny on the floor. Squinting his eyes, he bent down and picked it up, placing it on the palm of his hand. It was a silver earring shaped like a crescent moon. He muttered under his breath, “What is this – Cinderella?”

 


How did you feel about this chapter, readers? ^.^

If you would like to start reading a fantasy EXO fanfic, subscribe to Two Worlds! :D