Anguish

House of Secrets

Impossible. That was the first word that entered Jiyeong’s thoughts. He couldn’t be her brother – he had being living with her this whole time! If he had been her real brother, wouldn’t she have noticed in some way?

“Jiyeong!” She snapped back into reality at Jin’s urgent whisper. Looking down, she then noticed that her hand that was holding Namjoon’s medical form was trembling.

Quickly, she almost stuffed the forms into the folder and put it back into the cabinet. She stood up just as Dr. Park walked in.

“Have you guys finished the pills?” Jiyeong breathed a sigh of relief at the doctor’s unsuspecting tone.

Jin nodded. “We have.”

Dr. Park smiled. “That’s wonderful. You two can leave early today; I’ll clean up.”

Jiyeong just stood there numbly, still shocked by her latest discovery. Dr. Park glanced at her with a concerned look. “Jiyeong, are you alright?”

Jin came to her rescue, appearing next to her, putting an arm around her shoulder, and gently guiding her to the door. “Oh, he’s fine, sir. He just realized he forgot something.”

As soon as the door closed behind the two, Jin looked down at Jiyeong. “You found who your brother is.” It wasn’t a question.

Jiyeong stared up at him with pained eyes. “You knew, didn’t you?” Jin was Namjoon’s closest friend. Jiyeong thought that it was reasonable that Jin was also his confidante.

Jin was silent for a moment. “Yes,” he admitted. “But only after he found out you were a girl looking for her brother at Taejong.”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Anguish filled the girl’s voice.

Jin shook his head. “I couldn’t. I promised Namjoon I wouldn’t. However…” He turned his gaze away. “I didn’t quite agree. That’s why I helped you get to the medical forms. The least I could do was let you find out yourself.”

Jiyeong fell on her knees, weakness ading through her body. Startled, Jin crouched down next to her.

“Why?” Jiyeong whispered. “Why would he not want to me know that he’s my brother?” She paused, and when she continued, her voice trembled. “Does he hate me?”

“No!” Jin cried out. He glanced at the door nearby and quickly lowered his voice. “He loves you; he cares so much about you. But… he has his own reasons for not telling you.” Jin looked almost as pained as Jiyeong.

“His own reasons?” If Jin hadn’t been so close to Jiyeong, he wouldn’t have been able to make out what she had said.

Jin put his arms hesitantly around Jiyeong. Teardrops from the girl’s eyes fell onto the floor like tiny marbles, breaking when they hit the floor.


“Jiyeong!” As soon as Jungkook saw Jiyeong, he wrapped his arms around her without hesitation. “What? What’s wrong?”

Jin closed the front door behind him. “She found her brother.”

“Really?” Taehyung appeared behind Jungkook. Jungkook didn’t even notice; he was busy patting Jiyeong on the back and wiping her tears away with his thumb.

“Who is it?” Jungkook asked, not looking up. He stared at Jiyeong with a confused look on his face. “Shouldn’t you be happy?” He had been with Jiyeong for so long that he could understand whether her tears are ones of joy or sadness.

Jin slowly shook his head. Taehyung tilted his head, numerous questions floating in his head. What was wrong? Who could her brother possibly be?

“What’s wrong?” Everyone in the room started at the voice. Hoseok had stepped into the living room.

“None of your business.” Jungkook’s voice was just as chilly as Hoseok’s usual one. He shifted himself so his body would prevent Hoseok from seeing Jiyeong, as though he was protecting her.

“I care.” At those two words, everyone in the room became just as shocked as they were when Hoseok had entered it. Taehyung blatantly stared at his Hyung with wide eyes, wondering if this was the right Hoseok.

Just then, the door behind Jin opened, almost hitting him. “Why are you all standing in front of the door?” Namjoon cried in a slightly irritated tone. Then his eyes fell on Jiyeong. “Good grief, what happened?”

At her brother’s voice, Jiyeong had raised her head from Jungkook’s chest. Her face was blotchy and red from crying.

“Are you alright?” The concern in Namjoon’s voice was evident. “What’s wrong? Are you sick? Do you need to go to the hospital? Did someone bully you?” While he posed the last question, Namjoon’s eyes hardened, as though he would go beat up the bully personally if it was true.

“Oppa,” Jiyeong whispered. Her eyes locked with Namjoon’s and the older boy paled. “You’re my Oppa.”

A long, strained silence filled with shock aded through the room. Then it was broken by Namjoon’s pained whisper. “No.” He broke the eye contact and glanced at his best friend. “How? Why?” He seemed on the verge of utter despair.

Before anyone could stop him, he opened the front door again and in a flash, disappeared into the early evening.


“Hyung’s your brother?” Jimin had just come back from his photo shoot. He had seen tiredly leaning back against the sofa, but hearing the truth from Jungkook’s mouth, he bolted upright.

“How? You guys don’t even look the slightest bit alike!” Jimin stared at Jiyeong incredulously, as examining for similarities.

“Well, his reaction certainly confirmed it,” Suga muttered. The two had been let in on the recent events.

“But why did he not want you to know?” Jimin said.

A sigh trickled out of Jiyeong’s mouth. “Only he can tell me. I’m afraid he won’t even come back into the House.”

“Jiyeong, if he tells you, now since you’ve found your brother, what will you do?” Taehyung voiced out.

Jiyeong was silent. She didn’t know. What Taehyung asked was a valid question. Now what? She’s found her brother, but it ended up not in happiness as she had expected but pain. And now that she had achieved her goal, nothing but emptiness remained. She knew that she should quit Taejong High before she got caught, but then what? She saw nothing but blackness in front of her.

 


Hello! I know that this story is taking a sad turn, but it'll turn out alright in the end! Ups and downs make up our lives like the endless waves of the ocean. There is no smooth pathway in life. Therefore, keep this in mind in your daily life. Thanks for staying with my story and me so far! You all have been a HUGE support!! :D