The Three Rules

House of Secrets

Jiyeong sat on the edge of the sofa, feeling unnerved by all the staring. “Um, I’m Jiyeong. Nice to meet you,” she mumbled, feeling like a new student. Thinking about it, she probably had to say the same thing at school the next day.

“So what are you?” Hoseok asked curtly. Jiyeong hid a wince. “Are you anyone special?”

Jungkook answered for her. “It’s his secret. You know the rules, Hyung.” The two boys exchanged glares. Static seemed to fizz in the air between them.

“Calm down,” Jin said. He was sitting on the couch between the two boys and didn’t like the fact that he was.

Namjoon turned to Jiyeong. “So did Jungkook tell you all the rules inside the House of Secrets?”

“Um, something about minding your own business?” Jiyeong said.

“That’s the last one!” Taehyung piped up.

“There are three main rules,” said Namjoon. “One, do not delve into others’ pasts. Two, do not dig into others’ secrets. Three, mind your own business.”

Jiyeong nodded. That could work.

“Remember, if you break a rule, you get kicked out,” Jimin added. He smirked at her.

“Cool,” the girl said. ‘It’s not like I want to know more of you guys anyways,’ she added privately.

“I would prefer it if you don’t acknowledge me at school,” Hoseok stated coldly.

Jiyeong nodded furiously. ‘Can do. I don’t want to hang out with you either.’

“He'll be with me, Hyung.” Jungkook reached over and grabbed her hand. “Don’t worry; I’ll make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble.”

Jimin laughed derisively while staring at Jungkook’s hand on top of Jiyeong’s. “You know, you guys act like a couple.”

Jungkook stiffened. Then he stood up, still holding Jiyeong’s hand. “I guess the Gathering is over now.” He marched off to his room, dragging Jiyeong with him.


Jiyeong darted out of the bathroom, wincing. She made a beeline to Jungkook’s room. He was sitting on his chair at his desk, reading a book. He looked up to see his friend shut the door hastily behind him. She turned around, her face red. Her hair was still wet and she was wearing a bathrobe.

“You should’ve warned me that the bathroom doesn’t even have a lock!” she cried out.

Jungkook arched an eyebrow. “Why would a lock be needed when it’s a house full of boys?”

“Haven’t you guys heard of the word ‘privacy?’” Jiyeong snapped.

He shrugged. “There’s only one bathroom and five – now six – boys,” he said, as if that explained everything. Jiyeong groaned.

His gaze turned serious. “Did anyone come in while you were in the shower?” Jiyeong shook her head. “Sorry,” he mumbled. “I should’ve kept a close eye on the bathroom door just in case.”

Jiyeong sighed. “It’s fine.” She jumped onto the bed. “This house is just full of surprises,” she grumbled. Jungkook laughed.

The girl began digging in Jungkook’s clothes cabinet. Jungkook admired her nerve to dig into a drawer filled with boys’ clothes. “Jungkook, do you know where you put my linen bandages?” She sighed. “I hate having to wrap them around all the time. It hurts.”

Jungkook’s face turned a bright red when he realized what she was referring to. “Um, then just put them on in the morning. At night, you can just wear a really big shirt. Should I let you borrow one of mine?”


Jiyeong lay on the bed with the short letter her brother had sent held in the air above her face. She was staring at the single sentence intently. Why did her brother decide to contact her after all those years? And why didn’t he go visit her when he knew where she was?

“Don’t worry.” Jungkook’s voice was soothing. The boy jumped onto the other side of the bed. The two had fought over sleeping arrangements, but finally agreed that to share Jungkook’s bed. However, Jiyeong had bought some big pillows and made a wall in the middle of the bed.

“You will find your brother,” her best friend said. He peeked over the wall of pillows and gave her a smile. Feeling blessed to have such support from a friend, Jiyeong smiled back. Then Jungkook turned off the lights.


Jiyeong sighed and moved her position on the bed for the fifteenth time that night. felt parched and she really needed a drink of cool water.

Unable to contain her thirst, she sat up and saw Jungkook’s back over the wall of pillows. Hesitantly, she reached over and poked it with her finger. “Jungkook, could you get me a glass of water?” she whispered. The boy didn’t even budge.

Feeling extremely guilty, she tapped his back harder. “Jungkook?” All the boy did was softly groan. Jiyeong sat up. Of course – Jungkook was an extremely heavy sleeper. She doubted that a tornado could wake him up.

She was about to stifle a sigh but then realized that there was no need to because it wouldn’t bother the boy the slightest. Standing up next to the bed, she glanced at the glow-in-the-dark hands of the clock before sneaking out into the hall. ‘Since it’s past midnight, no one would be up, right?’ she thought.

The hall was nearly pitch black. Stumbling several times over nothing, she managed to reach the kitchen next to the living room. She sighed in relief, unable to believe that she made it so far in the dark without hurting herself. She opened the refrigerator door, hoping that there would be a bottle of cold, refreshing water inside.

A scuffling sound from behind her made her jump. She whirled around and her arm hit the refrigerator door in the process. She lost her momentum and was about to fall face-first onto the ground if a strong arm hadn’t held her around her waist. Surprised, Jiyeong looked up.

The refrigerator was still open, so the light coming from it illuminated the face of Jin. He looked worried. “I’m sorry, did I scare you?”

Jiyeong quickly pulled out of his grasp and nervously stood a foot away from him. “Uh, n-no. I came here looking for a d-drink,” she stuttered.

Jin reached into the fridge and pulled out a bottle of cold mountain water. He offered it to her and she accepted it with trembling hands. “Thanks,” she squeaked as she darted off.

As Jin watched the girl stumble back into the hall, he furrowed his brow. “So Jiyeong is a girl? Why would Jungkook bring her here?” he murmured to himself.

 

 


Hello, readers! Thank you for joining me in the process of writing this new story! :)

Subscribe and comment!! And of course, please enjoy!