Hoseok's Truth

House of Secrets

Jungkook rushed into Taehyung and Jiyeong’s room. “What happened? I heard from Mingkyu who heard from Woozi that you sprained your ankle in the middle of the hike up Halla Mountain!” he exclaimed in one breath.

“I’m fine. Stop acting like I’m dying,” Jiyeong laughed. She was sitting on the bed with her ankle bandaged tightly and raised by pillows.

“How did you manage to reach the top?” Jungkook asked. He sat down next to her and examined her ankle.

“Namjoon Hyung carried her,” Taehyung explained. He sat down on the other side of Jiyeong.

Jungkook raised his head and frowned at Taehyung. Then he glanced at the bed. “There’s one bed.”

“I’m sleeping on the floor,” Taehyung said. He pointed to blankets and a pillow on the floor next to the bed. Jungkook looked temporarily relieved.

“By the way,” Taehyung spoke after a moment’s thought, “I thought you don’t like sleeping on the floor after the ruckus you made when you tried it once. Do you make Jiyeong sleep on the floor in your room?”

Jungkook’s jaw dropped. “Err…” He exchanged nervous glances with Jiyeong. “About that…”

Taehyung’s sharp eyes caught the slight blush on the two students’ faces. “You guys sleep together?” It was his turn to gape.

“Um, you know, he’s practically like my brother.” Jiyeong laughed nervously. “We have a wall of pillows between us.”

“A brother?” the two boys simultaneously said. One had outrage in his voice while the other shock.

“You know what? I’m hungry.” Jiyeong tried to get off the bed. Jungkook and Taehyung immediately rushed to her to assist her, but she shooed them away.

“I’m not a wimp,” she scoffed. She began stumbling towards the door.

When she opened the door, Jin was standing outside with a surprised expression on his face. “I was hoping to see if you were alright.”

Jiyeong uttered a groan. “Get out of my way,” she muttered. “Sorry,” she added when she saw the hurt on the boy’s face, “but I don’t want to be an annoying handicapped person who needs help all the time.”

“You’re not annoying. Just let me help you as a friend,” Jin said. When Jiyeong heard the word “friend,” she allowed him to guide her down to the dining hall. She had remembered how she had labeled Hoseok and Jimin her “friends” and received jeering in return. It was nice to be called a friend by one of the residents of the House of Secrets (other than Jungkook, of course).

Still inside the room, Taehyung and Jungkook gaped at the two students’ receding backs.


The next day, the junior class teachers planned a hike around the beach of Jejudo. Since Jiyeong had a sprained ankle, she was dismissed from the day’s activities. Taehyung wanted to stay with her at the motel to assist her with little things, but Ms. Oh told him he had to go with his class. Therefore, the girl had a whole day to herself. Alone.

“I’m so bored,” Jiyeong muttered for the twentieth time. She had expected to at least have a good time on the trip if she couldn’t continue with her plan on finding her brother. She was stumbling around the huge motel, looking for something interesting to do.

By pure chance, she ended up in front of the conference room. Curious, she pushed open the clouded glass door and entered the big room.

A huge, long table made of polished wood and surrounded by leather-backed chairs met her gaze. To her utter shock, on one end of the table, a familiar boy was sitting with a laptop in front of him and his brow creased in concentration.

“Hoseok Hyung?” Jiyeong exclaimed. The boy abruptly looked up. A look of surprise appeared on his face, but it quickly turned into one of annoyance.

“What are you doing here?” he asked crossly.

“I could ask the same of you,” Jiyeong retorted back. “I thought all the seniors were going to the Teddy Bear Museum today.” She checked his state – he looked unhurt and quite well, save the dark circles. “And you obviously don’t have an injury to allow you to stay behind.”

“I don’t have time to do such petty things.” Hoseok turned back to his laptop. “I am a busy person.”

Jiyeong hobbled towards where he was and plopped herself down on the chair next to him, exhausted from her efforts of wandering around. “Are you assisting your dad’s business again? Come on, it’s vacation! Take a break.”

“Get out,” Hoseok snarled. However, the girl was quite accustomed to his harsh words by then and didn’t move.

“Do you want to check out the motel’s swimming pool with me? Or maybe beg the kitchen staff for snacks? Should I bring you something to drink from the vending machine?” Jiyeong glanced at her watch. “It’s past one. Did you eat?”

“Could you shut up! You’re more annoying than a bunch of my nosy classmates!” Hoseok roared, making her finally flinch.

“I just thought you needed a break.” Jiyeong’s voice had turned small. “You look exhausted right now, and five minutes can do wonders to a person’s mind and health. Should I get you a can coffee and just leave?”

Hoseok sighed heavily. “Could you please stop acting like you care? It’s freakin’ annoying.”

Jiyeong frowned. “I do care. Why wouldn’t I?”

“My mom didn’t! She didn’t care! She just thought I was a burden to her and left me at the mansion with my dad and never returned! Does my dad care? No, as long as I’m prepared to inherit his business, he doesn’t give a da** about my health or my schoolwork!” The boy who was normally emotionless and cold looked agitated.

Jiyeong was taken aback by the boy’s sudden outburst. Silence prevailed for a moment, and then the boy continued speaking. “All my life, no one has cared about me. Not even my parents – much less my classmates or teachers. Then why would you care?” He looked like he would break down any second.

 


Thank you, wonderful readers!!! Comment and subscribe if you haven't! :)