The Field Trip

House of Secrets

“Come on, Hyung!” Jiyeong called out for the tenth time that evening. She pounded on Hoseok’s door again. “I’m not budging until you agree to eat with us!”

The door was flung open. “Stop bugging me, you pest!” Hoseok roared. The boy glowered down at the girl. He was a good several centimeters taller than her.

Jiyeong crossed her arms, not even frightened the slightest. “Then eat.” She thought for a moment. “Or you’ll die from starvation,” she finished dramatically. She even widened her eyes until they were round for effect.

Hoseok was about to shut the door but the girl stubbornly held a foot out. “It’s not smart to shut it so fast; you might chop off my foot,” she stated. “Anyways, when have I bothered you save asking you to eat? I’m thinking about your health here.”

“I don’t need anyone thinking about my health,” Hoseok spat out. Just then, his stomach rumbled.

Jiyeong laughed. Hoseok frowned, half-angry, half-embarrassed, and then gaped at the girl who just laughed harder. She slapped a hand on his shoulder, making him jump. “Your stomach agrees with me!” she chortled between gasps of air. “Come on!” She pulled him to the dining room, not unlike how she dragged Suga in the cafeteria.

She managed to seat Hoseok on a chair at the table. All eyes turned to the cold boy. Hoseok glared at the plate of lasagna Jiyeong placed in front of him as if it was all the food’s fault.

“There!” Jiyeong said. She sat down in her seat next to Jungkook. “Now we’re practically a family gathering to eat dinner together.”

Jimin narrowed his eyes. “A family? Don’t assume things, new resident, and remember the rules of the House of Secrets.”

Jiyeong stuck her tongue out at him. “Shut up and eat, oh-famous idol. Rules or not, nothing gets in the way of the basic necessities: in this case, eating. Everyone has the right to eat.” Taehyung looked amused and Namjoon looked troubled. Jin was silently eating as if nothing was wrong and Jungkook was still in a bad mood.

“That doesn’t mean we should all eat together,” Jimin objected.

“Look here, smarty-pants, you’re the one who decided to eat with us in the first place. Anyways, if this Hyung doesn’t eat now, he won’t. Also, have I been prying into your secrets since I’ve come here? As a fellow human being, I just want everyone to eat. So there.” Jiyeong grabbed the boy’s fork and stuffed a huge chunk of lasagna into his mouth.


Jiyeong swallowed. She clenched her hands into fists. Then she tightly closed her eyes, only to open them again after a few seconds.

“What’s wrong?” From next to her, Taehyung was staring at her. The two were in adjacent seats on the airplane to Jejudo on the first day of the school trip. Taehyung was sitting in the window seat while Jiyeong had the aisle seat.

“I’ve… I’ve never been on a plane before,” Jiyeong said in a tiny voice.

Taehyung gaped at her. “Really?” Then he realized that the girl had lived in an orphanage her whole life. “Oh.”

Jiyeong felt a warm hand on top of hers and slightly jumped. She turned her head to see Taehyung’s big hand covering hers on the armrest. Lifting her head slightly, she gazed at Taehyung, who was smiling.

“Don’t worry,” he said. “It’s totally safe.” Right after he said those words, the plane lurched into movement. Jiyeong bit her lip so hard that her teeth cut her bottom lip.

As the plane picked up speed in order to lift off, Jiyeong felt her hand involuntarily grab Taehyung’s tightly. When they were actually in the air, the girl shut her eyes tightly and squeezed his hand.

“Oh, sorry,” she apologized when the plane steadied into its path in the sky. She let go of Taehyung’s hand abruptly. “I probably almost broke all your bones there.”

Taehyung grinned and shook his head. “No, it’s alright.” He opened the window cover and pointed to the clouds. “Look, we’re in the air.”

Jiyeong raised an eyebrow. Suddenly her stomach felt queasy. “Will it be alright if I get sick and barf all over you?”

His grin disappeared. Quickly shutting the cover, he pulled out a paper bag from the compartment under the seat and handed it to the girl. “For emergencies,” he mumbled.


Jiyeong woke up, feeling something hard under her head. She gradually opened her eyes – had she fallen on the floor again? Jungkook probably pushed her off the bed again while he was sleeping. Seeing something strange and blue in front of her, she rubbed her eyes. It was the back of an airplane seat.

The girl jerked up into a straight seating position. She glanced to the left at her seatmate, who was gazing out of the window, which was open again. Sensing her gaze, he turned to smile at her. Jiyeong just stared back, slack-jawed. Had she slept on his shoulder? Her eyes flitted from his broad shoulder back to his eyes.

“Wipe the drool off your face,” Taehyung advised. Jiyeong automatically wiped with her sleeve.

“We’ve arrived at Jejudo,” the boy continued. “The plane ride wasn’t that bad, was it? At least you didn’t throw up.”

The girl was speechless.


Jiyeong waved her arms. Taehyung glanced at her and frowned questioningly. The two were standing in front of the airport within the mass of Taejong students.

“Jungkook!” the girl exclaimed. She finally got the said boy’s attention and he quickly headed towards her. A tall boy with round eyes followed behind him.

“Were you okay? It was your first time in a plane, right?” Jungkook’s brow was creased with worry.

Jiyeong promptly slapped his shoulder. “Stop acting like I’m a girl!” she retorted, glancing at the boy behind him.

“Hello. Are you Jungkook’s friend? I’m his partner, Mingkyu.” The tall boy extended a hand formally. Jiyeong stared at it momentarily and then shook it firmly.

Taehyung nudged Jiyeong. “Jiyeong, Ms. Oh is calling us. Our class is supposed to head to the motel next,” he said.

“Oh. Alright.” Jiyeong nodded towards Jungkook and Mingkyu. Jungkook’s eyes were narrowed into slits. Feeling awkward, the girl turned to the other boy. “Nice to meet you, Mingkyu.” The girl followed Taehyung to the bus.

 


How do you like the new cover? ;)

Thank you all for reading my story!!!!