Chap 8: It's Hurting

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Moon Byulyi?" Yongsun unnie stared at me furiously. "What do you think you're doing now?!"

"Wait... So that person is you? What about Yongsun unnie?" With both her hands tighly holding on to her head, Wheein mumbled to herself. "But this box belongs to Yongsun unnie... I found it in her wardrobe... How could it be? Why isn't the image of you coming back? Why isn't any of the memories with your face coming back? This can't be... You're confusing me... How can it be you? What about Yongsun unnie?" Word after word, she continued on as her gaze interchanged between Yongsun unnie and I. There was not even pauses in between her sentences to let any of us answer her doubts.

"Wheerun-ie, it's okay... Calm down first... Breathe... Relax and catch your breath..." I reached out my hands to hold on to hers. Her apricot brown colored hair further emphasised her fair complexion when her hands were placed against it. Warmth radiated from those hands... The warmth that signalled her life... The warmth that I have been longing for all these while...

I thought I would be happy to be holding her once again, but I wasn't. From her eyes, I could see the splitting headache torturing her once again. The frown that appears on her face whenever she starts to think about the past. Just by thinking about the pain that haunts her whenever she thinks of us, I can never be happy. Indeed, it hurts that she does not remember me... But it hurts my heart even more to see the frown appear on her face right now.

Her head is hurting again... And it's... It's all my fault...

But I had to reveal the truth to her... I cannot bring myslf to see Wheein in another person's arms... Not when I have already experience the heartache of losing her to someone else... 

"How can I stay calm at this moment?!" Using all of her strength, Wheein shoved my hands aside. Keeping herself at an arm's length away from both Yongsun unnie and I, she continued. "It's easy for you to say that you are that person. It's easy for you to just come running to me and tell me that you are that person. But it's not easy for me to just trust you wholeheartedly. How do you expect me to believe your words when all evidence points to Yongsun unnie? How do you expect me to trust you when I still can't remember your face from the past?"

"Wheein-ah," Yongsun unnie took a step towards her.

"Don't... Don't... Don't come near me!" Like a hurt puppy trying to heal its own wounds, Wheein retreated to the corner of the rooftop. "I don't know what to trust... I don't know who to trust... I don't even know if any of you are speaking the truth... All I know is that I still can't see you in my memory... Why are you still blurry in my mind?" Her sobs could clearly be heard even with her face buried in her knees.

"I'm sorry... Wheerun-ie..." I felt a single tear leave my eye. Slowly, I inched towards my love, wanting to give her a comforting hug. "I'm sorry to be running away from you all these while. I'm sorry to put you in this situation. I didn't mean to confuse you further when I revealed the truth. I just wanted... I just wanted to hold your hands once again... I missed you, Wheerun-ie... You don't know how much I missed you... Wheerun-ie, will you..."

"Wheein needs some time to herself to think through all this." Yongsun unnie cut me off before I could even ask Wheein to return by my side. I tried moving a step forward but I was held back by Yongsun unnie. She tightened her grip on my wrist, pulling me from moving any closer to Wheein. "It's not the time for you to ask her for anything." Keeping her tone down, Yongsun unnie whispered with her eyes reflecting her agony within. "That aside... You and I... We need to talk." At that, she pulled me away from the rooftop before I could utter an answer, leaving Wheein alone...

At the Staircase...

"Hyejin-ah, Wheein is up at the rooftop alone, take care of her. Don't ask what happened. It's nothing much... I have something to settle with Byul at the company... Just for a while... make sure that Wheein is alright..." Yongsun unnie's gaze never left me even as she talked on the phone with Hyejin. Her hands continued to grip at my wrists tightly while I tried to remove myself from her grasp.

I can't leave Wheein alone up there, confused. I need to get to her... I need to tell her how much I missed her... I need to tell her how much I love her... So that... So that she knows... So that I can beg her not to have a change of heart... So that she would not leave me for unnie... So that she would return to my side...

Immediately after putting down her phone, Yongsun unnie pulled me into her embrace. I stood still, stunned at her sudden action, forgetting about Wheein who was left alone at the rooftop. For a long ten minutes, both of us stood in silence while in each others' embrace.

"Byul-ah..." Yongsun unnie broke the silence while resting my head onto her shoulder.

"You don't have to say it..." I lifted my head from her shoulder and stared into her eyes. "I know what you want to say... I know... I know you love Wheein." Her body stiffened at my words. She probably did not realise that I have read her heart so clearly.

"I..." Evading my eyes, Yongsun unnie struggled to get words out of .

"From that look in your eyes when I told you about the relationship between Wheein and I, I knew you loved Wheein... Especially when you have trouble controlling your anger whenever you see the maknaes together. Those anger... Was not because you know I would be in pain seeing them acting intimately... It's because you're in pain too unnie." Holding unnie at her shoulders, I gave a a comforting nod. "I know how much that must have hurt... I know deep inside you're hurting just as much as me... But you always put on a calm front and choose to console me first..."

I deserve to be punished. I'm a bad person for asking you to comfort me when I know just how much pain you are going through as well. I'm guilty for ignoring your pain and only focused on my own wounds.

"I will not beg you to give up on Wheein for me." Lifting Yongsun unnie's face so that her eyes met mine, I promised her.

I know exactly how painful it is to see your loved one in another's embrace... How would you possibly be willing to send the person you love into another's arms? How can I be so selfish to ask for Wheein when you love her just like I do? I will not do that... At least this is the least I can do for you. 

"As much as I hope that Wheein will return to me, I don't want it to be because of you pushing her towards me. I want her to return because she loves me... So I'll be sure to earn her love again.  I'm sorry that I may have to hurt you... I will put up a good fight for Wheein's love. Seeing that Wheein was hoping for you to be her past love, she must have fallen for you..." I let out a deep sigh, sincerely hoping that my guesses were untrue. "But even so... Even if she is in love with you, I'm not going to give up on her because I know that I cannot lose her.."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter