Chap 4: Perhaps it's You?

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The silence in the room was once again broken by the creaking sounds coming from the upper deck of the bunk bed, waking me up from my sleep.

She is tossing and turning in her bed again... Why does she always have that much trouble sleeping at night? What has been bothering you Byulyi unnie? Is it Yongsun unnie? Are you still bothered by what happened that day? Or are you still bothered by the thing that Yongsun unnie mentioned about? The one that you needed time to sort out all by yourself?

The ladder creaked as you made your way down and then, out of the bedroom door. Turning over, I saw you close the door as gently as possible, for you fear that any sound may wake me up. I pressed the home button on my phone, checking the time.

4am... You slept for 4 hours today, an hour less than that of yesterday... This has to stop. At this rate you will be depleted even before our promotions for 피아노맨 (Piano Man) starts.

With the thought haunting me, I could no longer fall asleep. I sat at the edge of my bed, summoning up all the courage within me before heading out of the bedroom door to search for Byulyi unnie.

I'm going to find out what it is today! At least as your roommate I have the right to show some care and concern for you! In order to do that, I need to know what exactly is troubling you. Today, I have garnered my courage to approach you... So I will bravely ask...

The dormitory was so silent, I could hear the echo of each step I took. Everyone is asleep, except Byulyi unnie and I.

What exactly kept you up for these 2 months? Or possibly even longer, because I'm such a deep sleeper, I only started to take notice of it 2 months ago...

I first looked towards the direction of the sofa.

Nope, not there...

Then, I brought myself to the kitchen, scanning for any signs of Byulyi unnie.

Hmm? Not here either...

"Byulyi unnie, are you in there?" I knocked on the bathroom door before turning the doorknob. The door is not locked although the lights are switched on. I'm not surprised that I didn't find you there, because we had always kept the bathroom lights on at night. Reason being that all of us are scared to enter the dark bathroom in the middle of the night. Even now, standing outside of the illuminated bathroom, I didn't have the courage to step in without anyone else waiting for me outside, for fear that at any moment, something would jump out.

'She's probably just hanging out at the rooftop' 

Yongsun unnie's words replayed in my mind. 2 months ago when Byulyi unnie found me in Yongsun unnie's embrace, Yongsun unnie reassured me that everything will be fine. All I needed to do was to give Byulyi unnie some time and space to herself. I have given her enough time. 2 months have been long enough... On other days, I would not have dared to confront Byulyi unnie about her troubles, fearing that Yongsun unnie would jump angrily at me immediately and go against the idea. But tonight, it is different. It is just Byulyi unnie and I. I'm not going to just standby watching her continue like this. Even if she still puts on her signature scrunching nose smiles during practices, I can see sorrow reflected in her eyes behind that disguise. I can see that pain, that she tries to hide behind the greasy Byulyi appearance she puts up for everyone else to see. Determined to find her, I made my way to the rooftop. 

At the Rooftop...

Ahh there you are... Just as I thought, Yongsun unnie knows you best.

Standing infront of me with hands placed on the parapet, Byulyi unnie focused on the stars that lit up the night sky. I tiptoed towards her, trying to make no sounds as I did not want to interrupt her thoughts. Plus, I'm still contemplating on how I should bring up the subject.

There has been no memories of me talking to Byulyi unnie alone like this at all, at least not that I remember. Eversince my amnesia, all we had talked about are probably performance related and not our own personal issues... Hmm... Would it be weird for me to ask about her troubles directly? How should I bring it up?

"Wheerun-ie?" Byulyi unnie took notice of my presence while I was occupied with my thoughts. "Why are you here and not sleeping? And wait... Why are you in tiptoes?"

Embarassed, I immediately landed my feet flat on the ground while avoiding her direct gaze.

Though Byulyi unnie was surprised, she quickly regained her composure. A smirk appeared on Byulyi unnie's face as she started walking towards me. "Perhaps you were trying to scare me? Hmm... Let me give you a tip for next time, Wheerun-ie. If you want to approach me quietly, you will probably have to stop breathing." I looked up at her, puzzled at what she meant with those words. "Because you are so perfect, you take my breath away each time you breathe. How can I not take notice of someone whom threatens my survival simply by breathing?"

Then, Byulyi unnie paused suddenly before mumbling under her breath, "not like I can control myself..." Her words trailed off while that signature scrunching nose smile remained spread across her face. I almost couldn't catch those words that she said in that soft voice.

There... The sorrow, it is there... I can see that sorrow reflecting deep in her eyes. The sorrow that she has been trying to hide using her cheesy statements. This sorrow that I have seen before. It is the same sorrow that I saw in her eyes just before debut. It is the same sorrow I saw in Byulyi unnie's gaze that day in the recording studio, when Hyejin was squabbling with Yongsun unnie. Yes, it is that same sorrow...

Unknowingly, she is now standing just an arm's length away from me. Looking at the sorrow reflected in her eyes, I could no longer hold back on those burning questions.

"Tell me about it," I reached out my arms and encircled them around her waist. The sudden close proximity had made her jump slightly, but she did not push me away. Instead, she showed her acceptance by tightening her arms around me. I could feel her long and slender fingers tapping on my back rhythmically. 

Laying my head on her shoulder, I continued, "Tell me about the thing that is bothering you. We may not have been that close for you to open up your feelings to me..." I startled at those words that just left my lips. 

Jung Wheein! What nonsense are you spouting now? You're supposed to get her to share her troubles with you! How can you highlight the flaws in our relationship now? How do you expect her to tell you everything now? 

"I mean... You have to at least respect the fact that I'm your roommate... And as your roommate, I have the right to sleep well at night too!" I rattled on, struggling to explain that I actually want to be close with her, and that I am not blaming her for our weird relationship now. Yet, it seemed that this is going down the wrong way the more I explain.

"I mean..." I sighed, hopeless at where the conversation is heading. "I mean I just want to know what exactly is troubling you, I want to know whether it is about that day. I want to know if you have misunderstood what happened in the room. I want to know... If I was to blame for that sorrow in your eyes." Tightening the grip on her shirt, I buried my face in her shoulder. "I know Yongsun unnie and you are an item. A couple, that is even recognised by our MooMoos. I don't know about all these feelings coming at me after my amnesia either. I'm sorry if our actions that day had hurt you." Byulyi unnie remained silent, just listening to each and every word I have said. "I'm really sorry... You guys were in love..." Tears accumulated in my eyes as the last sentence left my dry lips.

I'm in love too... I was in love too... Albeit I don't know who exactly I was in love with... Is that person Yongsun unnie? Or is that person you, Byulyi unnie?

You listened to all my worries without speaking a word. Just like how Yongsun unnie did that day... Just like how 'that person' listens to me in the dream... Perhaps, the person that you love is me instead of Yongsun unnie?

"Don't ask, Wheerun-ie," Byulyi unnie broke the long sile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter