Chap 18: Forgetting

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What should we eat later?" Hyejin asked, holding on to my hand as we walked towards the washroom.

"Anything would be good, you decide!" Pushing her towards the entrance of the washroom, I took my hands out of hers and replied while avoiding her gaze."Didn't you say that you need the washroom? Quickly go~! Just go~!" 

"Okay okay~ I'm going~! Are you that excited to meet Byulyi unnie? Didn't we just leave her for a while?" Finally letting my small hands go, Hyejin laughed. "You look like you're about to elope with her or something..."

"Hmm?!" I startled at her reply, afraid that my plans have been found out so quickly. Immediately, I denied myself of all her accusations while hiding the uneasiness within me. "What nonsense is that? I'm just worried about your body for holding in too long..."

"Really? You're still going to be here by the time I am out right?" Turning back one last time before she disappeared into the washroom, her eyes turned into a slit as she questioned further. "You two are not going to leave me alone right?"

"Hmm... Just quickly do your business!" As my heart rate continue to rise with every second that passed, I know that I could no longer keep up the act.

At this rate Hyejin is going to find out...

I need to make my escape as soon as possible...

"Oh! Byulie is calling me so I'll go pick up now~ Bye~" I held on to my phone tightly as I walked out of the washroom, pretending that it was vibrating when in actual fact the screen weren't even lit up.

--I'm out of her sight now, are you done?-- With my trembling fingers, I took more that 2 minutes to type out that simple sentence.

--Yup, just locked up the practice room with keys from Hyerim unnie. Meet you at the entrance?-- 이 세상에서 별처럼 빛나는 사람, 4.39 PM

--Okay! I'll speed up to meet you~-- After clicking on the send button, I ran down the stairs despite being on the tenth storey, for I feared that Hyejin would pop up at any moment.

Leaning on the one-sided glass panel with her hands tucked into her sweatpants, the long haired blonde had her eyes fixed on her phone. As I took steps towards her, my phone buzzed in my hands.

--Finally I'm going to have a date with my princess only~ I'm so excited~ Come quickly pretty~-- 이 세상에서 별처럼 빛나는 사람, 4.45 PM

Turning her head from side to side, Byulie was waiting for me patiently with a bright smile lighting up her face. Our gaze met as I made my way out of the glass door. As though it was pre-rehearsed, she stretched out her arms upon seeing me.

"Hyejin wasn't suspicious right?" Receiving me into her arms, Byulie asked curiously.

"She was... But I managed to escape..." As her warm embrace sunk in, I found myself comforted by her presence. "Do you even know how scared I was?"

"Aigoooo my Wheerun-ie~ I'm sorry but I missed our personal dates so much... This is the last time we can go on a date before our comeback begins~" After pulling apart from the hug, Byulie poked at my dimple. Smiling like a child, her nose muscles reappeared once again. "How should I make it up to you~?" 

"Hmm... I don't know~ But first, let's quickly go before she realises~" Extending my hand, I signalled her to hold it. "If not we will both be dead."

With our fingers interlocked, she placed a kiss on my forehead before taking a step forward.

"Where are you two heading without me?" Both of us stiffened at the familiar voice coming from our back. Neither of us dared to move an inch, it was as though our feet grew roots to the ground. "Care to explain why I was left alone at the washroom, Jung Wheein?"

"Hyejin-ah..." Byulie pulled me behind her, trying to shied me from the impending doom.

"Hye-Hye-ji-jin-ie~" I tried calling for Hyejin as though nothing had happened but my cracking voice betrayed me utterly.

"Are you two escaping?" As she spoke, Hyejin continued to move closer to us. Instead of retaliating calmly, we found both our feet retreating with each step she took. "Are the lovebirds intending to go on a date after ditching me?"

"It's not like that Hyejin-ah..." Byulie tried to explain to her though I'm sure that no words would get to Hyejin at this point.

Flashing an awkward smile, I shook both my head and my free hand frantically at Hyejin. "Yeah~! Why would we do that?" 

"No need to lie to me. Just look at both of your eyes, they are speaking the exact same language." She ended with a sigh. Within a split second, the fury that was in Hyejin's eyes disappeared and was replaced by an apologetic sorrow. "I know that these days I'm being too much of a lightbulb..."

Taking a look at Byulie, we both know that this time round we are in a different trouble from before.

"Something's different today..."

"Did we go overboard this time?"

"I think so Byulie... 어떻게 (What should we do)?"

"I'll fix it, don't worry."

"Hyejin-ie, that's not what we meant..." Upon ending our short eye contact, Byulie spoke up and tried to revert the situation. "We just wanted to have some alone time to ourselves... I mean I wanted to... This was all my idea... You know... It's been really long since Wheein and I went on a date so..."

"I'm sorry." As she spoke, Hyejin looked up towards the sky and leaned her back against the glass panel. Her voice reflected her exasperation at the current situation she is in as well. "I know how much I have been bothering you two but I can't hang out with Yongsun unnie alone. I can't bear to see her hurting... Neither do I have the confidence to say that I'll be able to help her out of that pain anymore. Every night, it pains me to look at her frown in her sleep. The closer I get to her, the more I fall for her and I'm afraid of it... I'm afraid of myself... I'm afraid of falling for her when I clearly know that she would never return my feelings."

"Hyejin-ie..." Hyejin's short brown hair, I brought my hands to her cheeks wanting to wipe away her tears. However there was none and I half expected it because Hyejin with her strong personality never once broke down infront of me. She may have had tears welled up in her eyes but she never once let them flow before me, because she had always been my protective sister who would shield me from any harm.

"But how long do you intend to stay away from her? No matter what we're still a group, you can't avoid her forever." Knowing that Byulie words were like sharp knives that would stab at Hyejin, I glared at her.

"It's not the time to ask that Byulie!"

"I'm just speaking the truth Wheerun-ie..."

"Maybe till my feelings for her are forgotten." Before I could converse another word with Byulie, Hyejin replied and brought the both of us back into her world. "Besides I have already discussed with 아빠 (Dad) about having separate dorms."

"Separate dorms?!" Both Byulie and I exclaimed at the same time, appalled at the sudden news we received.

"Think on the bright side, having separate dorms means no one would care about setting dorm rules. Wheein and you can have as much fun as you'd like with each other behind closed doors." Her words were supposed to be something that Byulie and I should rejoice about, but at that moment, it felt as though those words were meaningless. 

"But that means we won't be seeing each other as much isn't it? Like now, even though we still live together, we don't see each other much because of our different schedules when we are not promoting. If we are to live apart doesn't that mean that I'll not see you as often Hyejin-ie?" Without taking breaths in between, I sped through my words like a bullet train. "At least now we will be able to see each other everyday... Even if it is your sleeping face, at least I know that you're alright and can share your worries... Hyejin-ie..." 

"I may not be able to see you every day... We may not be able to see each other often but isn't that better off?" With a forced smile on her face, Hyejin patted my head as though I was a puppy. Staring straight at the cars that were speeding on the roads, Hyejin continued as though she was talking to herself. "At least then I'll be able to forget about my feelings... At least then I'll not be hurt..."

Both Byulie and I could no longer reply to her words. All we could do w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter