Chap 13: We're Over Pt. 1

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We were in love... We used to be in love... We used to love each other so much that even someone who was blind could sense the love between us...

You are in love... You said that you still love me...

I am in love... I know that I still love you... You have never once left my heart...

"Wheein-ah" Yongsun unnie waved her hands before me, snapping me out of my thoughts. "Were you even listening to what I was saying?"

"Hmm?" Staring blankly at her, my face clearly shows that I was not paying attention to what she had said.

"Nevermind..." Yongsun unnie let out a sigh. It was soft, but given that she was sitting just right beside me, I could hear the sigh loud and clear. "You're not thinking about... Byul, are you?'

Just as she started to reach towards my hands that were placed on my lap, her phone buzzed and diverted her attention away from me.

No matter who was it who sent that message, I'm thankful for that person. I'm really really thankful for the slight breather in this situation.

"I've lost." Looking up from her phone, Yongsun unnie's eyes were already filled with tears. Her hands still gripping on her phone, she looked defeated. "I admit that I've lost, Wheein-ah. I have lost to fate. Why did I even start this when I clearly know that I would have lost? Even when you forgot, fate kept pulling you two together. Even when you tried to not remember, fate once again create coincidences so that you have to recall. Even I, am a chess piece which fate used to bring you to this place. You still love Byul... And Byul only loves you... I can never change that no matter how hard I try... No matter what I'll be the one in pain... Even Hyejin sees that... So why can't I?"

Her phone slipped from her grasp and landed on the bench surface right below it. I picked it up and looked at the message out of curiosity.

--- Unnie, I'm sorry. Byulyi unnie is heading over there. Whether to continue having sleepless nights like this or to cry it out and forget, it's your choice. I just hope you won't do something that you will regret. Don't do things that will only put yourself in pain.--- Ahn-yonce, 12.34 PM

"Two people who are in love should try their hardest to put a smile on each other's faces." The old lady who was on her rocking chair previously is now standing infront of our table, her white cane constantly hit against the bench. "From what I see, none of you are genuinely happy. I may be blind, but I can see each of your hearts clearly. Follow your heart, because if you don't you will be left in pain." After finishing her sentence, she left the cafe through the white wooden door.

"What she says is right, you should follow your heart to be genuinely happy. I was wrong to have stopped her from mentioning Byul. Even If she doesn't remind you of Byul, you will still think of her..." Yongsun unnie said softly while nodding at the grandma's words earlier. "Only she will be able to make you smile happily... No matter how hard you try, you will never be able to remove Byul from your heart. Just like how I can't. I'm sorry Wheein-ah... I'm sorry..."

Her?

Byulyi unnie?

Yongsun unnie loves Byulyi unnie too?

"Unnie?" My eyes widened in horror as I gaped at he sudden news.

"I thought I would be contented seeing her in pain without you... I thought I would be okay so long as you two are not together... No I wasn't... Little did I know that I was in pain too... I didn't know it would hurt twice as much to see her crying because you're beside me. I didn't know it was that hard for me to see her unhappy." She paused in between her sobs, trying to catch her breath. "I really did wish for her unhappiness... I really did... But I don't know why, I can't hold true to it... For the past 2 months, I would toss and turn in bed regretting what I have done to her... I hated to see her in tears... I hated myself for being like this... I'm sorry to be using you Wheein-ah..."

"It's because you're hurting too... It's because you're trying to protect yourself too..." Crying like a child, the Yongsun unnie seated infront of me now is no longer the protective leader on stage. It has been long since I last saw her like this. Protecting me was what she promised to do, and I had always thought that she would never breakdown before me ever again after those words. In this situation, I know that I should not be comforting her like this. I know that I should be frustrated at her right now, but I can't bring myself to scream at her. Just like how she was using me for her benefit, I'm guilty of using her to escape from my fears as well. "I know... I know the pain is torturing you... It's okay, unnie... It's okay..." I patted on her back like how a mother would comfort her lost child. Once again, our roles reversed where I felt like the older of the two.

"Go back to Byul." After fixing her gaze on the floor for the past 20 minutes, Yongsun unnie finally looked up at me. Tear stains were still visible on her face and she tried to wipe them away with her small hands. "I know we did not exactly start with true feelings for each other, but... But... We're over."

We're over...

We're over...

We're over...

Those words are so familiar... I have heard it somewhere...

The headache that has disappeared for a long while returned, threatening to break my head apart. Everything before me started to turn hazy.

Shaking my head, I squinted my eyes to look at what was before me. Scenes started to flash before me like a slide show. The only difference is that each scene is flashing by so quickly I could not identify a thing... I could not identify anything... Except...

Except her...

The person that appeared in each and every scene...

It's her...

Moon Byulyi.

Finally, the broken projector stopped. I was standing before a chestnut-brown painted door, hand placed on the doorknob

Without even looking back, I was sure that the person standing behind me was her, Moon Byulyi. Turning the doorknob, I felt my heart bleeding as each word left my mouth. "I get it. We're over. It's over between us."

"Fine! If you want this relationship to end then walk out of that door." She replied, sounding as though she is really exhausted. "Don't turn back asking for me ever again."

 "Moon Byulyi... I hate you." Listening to her reply, fire raged on within me. Her words stung at my heart like swords. Slowly, my heart was turning cold.

It's hollow... It's empty... This hollow feeling... This feeling of emptiness... They are growing within me... Little by little, they are engulfing me...

I stood up from the bench, trying to walk away from the pain that is hurting me... But I couldn't... The stabbing pain continues to tear my heart into shreds and the contents are also constantly being poured out forcefully.

I was the one who initiated the break up... It was me... It was me who hurt her heart...

"Wheein-ah, where are you going? Byul is going to be here for you soon..." Yongsun unnie's words are drowned out by my inner voice that was increasing in volume as each second passes.

Moon Byulyi... My Moon Byulyi... My Byulyi... My Byulie...

Byulie... Byulie... Byulie...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter