Chap 16: Similarities

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wha-wha..." Her eyes widened in shock as I pinned her up against the empty white wall in her room. With her hands outstretched on my shoulders, she stopped me from moving any closer to her face. "Wha-what a-are you do-doing now?"

It's the same... Exactly the same... The same feeling as her... The same feeling as Wheein... 

"H-hye-ji-jin-ah..." Stuttering, she struggled to talk me out of my actions without hurting my feelings.  "You're standing way too close... We shouldn't be like this... I have a girlfriend and she's your bestfriend..."

Why are you the same as her? Why do I want to see you happy too?

Of everyone why must it have to be you?

"Why?" I stopped myself from advancing towards her and removed her hands resting on my shoulders. Turning away from her, I headed towards the bunk bed to take a seat as I continued mumbling under my breath. "Why is this happening? Why is it you?"

"Hmm?" She questioned as she took a seat beside me on Wheein's bed. I must have been too soft for her to catch my words.

"Why of all people it had to be you?" Raising my voice slightly, I threw her a question that even I myself had no answer to. Tears welled up in my eyes as I stared intently at Byulyi unnie. At this moment, I hated myself for not controlling the feelings in my heart well enough. "Everything is breaking apart because of you... Everything will crumble because of you..."

"Hyejin-ah, what are you talking about? What happened? Oh my! Don't cry! Tell me what happened..." Flustered, Byulyi unnie pulled out pieces of tissues and stuffed them right into my face. Her eyes were filled with concern, reflecting the anxiousness within her to be seeing me cry like this. "What did I do wrong this time? Unnie will make the everything okay for you!"

I can't do this to Wheein...

I can't do this to you...

I can't... I can't... I can't...

But I'm hurting...

What can I do? What should I do? What am I supposed to do?

One month before the confrontation...

Picking up the remote lying on the coffee table, I sunk into the couch as I busied myself with the programmes shown on TV just like how I have been for the past twelve hours. Our last goodbye stage for 아훕 (Ahh Oop) was almost a month ago but our schedules were packed with festivals and events to attend. Finally, we had a day off and I decided to laze around the house for my well deserved rest. On the other hand, Byulyi unnie and Wheein are out on a 'romantic' date by themselves after shoving me away... And Yongsun unnie... Erm... I actually have no idea where she is at this time...

I glanced towards the clock, trying to recall what else is screened on TV at this time of the day. 

11PM...

Just when I was about to switch the channel, my phone started to vibrate on the coffee table.

Who would call me this late?

--Snoop Yong--

Why would she call me at this hour? Did something happen?

"Hello?" Worried, I answered the call.

A long silence ensued.

"Unnie? Why aren't you replying? Are you okay?" My head was filled with endless possibilities of what might happen in the middle of the night. Compounded by the eerie silence on the other end of the call, my panic meter was rising quickly.

"Byul-ah... Wheein-ah..." Eventually, she answered though her words seems to be directed to someone else. "Why do you two have to make it so hard for me?"

"Unnie, I'm Hyejin..." Heaving a sigh of relief, I turned off the TV so that I could hear Yongsun unnie's muffled voice better. "Are you perhaps... Drunk?"

"Hyejin? Oh our cutie baby maknae Hyejin-ie~" If I hadn't knew her drunk habits, I would have dialled for an ambulance to send her down the Mental Institution right away.

"Unnie... I think you're drunk... No, I mean you are indeed drunk..." I shook my head and started to walk towards my wardrobe.

How silly of me to think that you will be back home safely by yourself...

"Hyejin-ah... It didn't work... It still hurts... Even though I tried what you told me to... It still hurts so much... Why doesn't it work for me?" Her happy tone was turned into a crying one in a split second. As I picked out my clothes at the speed of light, her rants continued. "Why is everything so painful?"

"Unnie you're really drunk..." Putting the call on loudspeaker mode, I changed into the new set of clothing while shouting in our empty room. "Where are you at? I'll go pick you up."

"I'm not drunk! I'm going to get angry if you say I am!" Even when she is drunk, Yongsun unnie's talkativeness never disappears. She only rambled on without answering my question. "Am I a little kid in your eyes? I can get home by myself. I'm perfectly fine... Perfectly fine... Fine..."

"Okay okay~ You're not drunk... I just want to accompany you, so tell me where you are." I grabbed my phone and went out of our room while attempting to coax the unnie who had a drop too much. By the time I finished my sentence, I was already at the doorstep and putting on my white sneakers in standing. 

"I'm at..." Hearing that a hint of her location was about to be dropped, I immediately picked up the phone lying beside me and switched back to handheld mode.

However all that followed was silence. Not exactly pin-drop silence as I could hear soft snores coming from the other end.

Don't tell me that she fell asleep again...

"Unnie?" My mouth dropped in disbelief even though I did not want to believe the situation cooked up in my head. Exasperated, I slumped onto the floor and screamed into the phone while demanding a reply from her. "Unnie, are you there? Hello? Yongsun unnie! Kim Yongsun! How can you fall asleep just anywhere?! Reply me Kim Yongsun! I swear if you're not going to reply soon..."

"Hello?" An unfamiliar male voice came from the other end and cut off my words after what seemed like eternity. "The owner of this phone seems to have fallen asleep..."

"Oh hello..." I could hear the embarrassment coming from my own voice. "I'm sorry for shouting... May I know where you are currently at? You see, I'm about to pick her up but she fell asleep before telling me where she's at..."

"Here?" It seems like the man took awhile to look into his surroundings before replying. "Namsan park, near the stairs with the goldfish mural. Thank goodness I took the effort to make my rounds around the park or she would probably be left in this state till tomorrow morning."

"Ahh okay! I'll be heading down! Could you perhaps stay with her before I get there? It's pretty late and I don't want to leave her alone in this state right now..." Locking the door behind me, I headed towards the lift that was coming up at the same time.

"Sure." The man replied almost instantly as though he had been anticipating my request.

"I'll be there in less than 30 minutes!" Once again, I pressed for the lift that was moving at snail speed anxiously. "Let's keep the line engaged in case I can't find you. Thank you so..."

BEEP

I looked towards my phone realising that the call had ended before I even finished my sentence, "Much."

And her phone goes dead at this time of the day.

Yongsun unnie, I'll be sure to get you a new phone with a battery that does not die.

The lift door open and I recognised its occupants almost instantly. With their fingers interlocked with each other's, Wheein was standing right infront of Byulyi unnie. Their faces were only inches apart as they stared right into each other's eyes, smiling so widely their eyes were grinning as well. Unknowingly, I felt my lips arched upwards at the sight of these two.

"Oh Hyejin-ie!" Wheein asked as she stepped out of the lift, fingers still interlocked with Byulyi unnie's. "Where are you heading this late?"

You will always smile the brightest when you're in love... And this two, just from the look of their eyes you can see that they are really in love with each other.

But if they knew how much their happiness is bringing pain to others... Will these two still be able to laugh so happily?

Probably not...

It's probably best to not say a thing at this moment...

"I'm meeting Yongsun unnie for a run!" Walking into the lift, I replied in a hurry for I knew that the attire I was in-- ripped jeans and sneakers, was definitely not an attire fitted for a run.

I'm sorry Wheein-ie, I'll have to lie to you this once... Forgive me...

I need to make an escape... But before that, I need to divert their attention.

"I'll leave the dorm to you guys for awhile... Don't do anything R-rated because that's breaking the new dorm rules and you won't know when Yongsun unnie and I will be back." A smirk appeared on my face as I thought of the perfect plan to keep Wheein's sharp eyes away from my attire.

"YAH~! Ahn Hyejin! Byulie and I won't!" Wheein's free hand by her side shook instinctively.

"We won't?" Byulyi unnie turned to look at Wheein with her lips forming a pout. "It's kinda a once in a lifetime chance where we get the dorm to ourselves~ Should I really leave my beautiful princess untou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter