Chap 3: Perhaps I Forgot?

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Wheein-ie~" Hyejin called my nickname lovingly from the other side of the phone call. "Don't be angry, please! I'm so sorry I forgot that I had dinner plans with Hyuna tonight to celebrate for her solo album relaunch..."

"Uh huh... I get it, now that you think I'm yours, you no longer have to accompany me when we finally get some free time after our debut... And your new friends are more important than me~" I replied teasingly, as I know that Hyejin would never be someone like that.

"Wheein ya~" Hyejin started again, "you know that I'm not someone like that! I am someone who have already started to miss that dimple of yours though I just saw you at the company 10 minutes ago~ Forgive me this once! I'll definitely find a replacement to watch that horror movie with you!"

I could already visualise Hyejin's desperate calls for help to everyone, just to find someone to accompany me to watch the movie: Insidious 2. With that thought, I burst out laughing.

"Is everything alright, wheein-ie?" Genuine concern can be heard from Hyejin's voice, she's probably worried that I have gone nuts.

"Don't worry!" I managed to squeeze out a reply in between my laughs. "It's just that the thought of you going around begging people made me laughed hehehe! I swear you worry about me too much sometimes, you worry wart! I'm a big girl now, though with some deficits in my memory~ But I still function very well on my own okay AHN HYEJIN!"

After reassuring Hyejin that I'll be fine on my own for the hundredth time, she finally let me off by ending the call.

Sometimes it's really tough dating Ahn Hyejin... Because she worries too much and is too naggy~ All our dates are more often than not spent with her drowning me with her words... Though I always complain about it, I can never deny how much joy Hyejin has brought to my life. It's weird because I kind of enjoy her being like this, and loves that our relationship stays this way...At times just like friends while other times we're more like sisters supporting each other.

With those thoughts stuck in my head, I can't help but smile. Just at that moment, the movie player inbuilt in my brain started to play by itself again. Right before my eyes, the memory of the dream that I had exactly 3 months ago returned...

'That person' hasn't appeared in my thoughts for nearly 3 months. Because of that, I'm not surprised that within these 3 months that we were busy promoting Mr. 애매모호 (Mr. Ambiguous), there wasn't any throbbing headache either. Yet today, as though seeking for a playmate, she appeared infront of me, through a replay of that dream which I had completely forgotten 3 months ago...

That person is not Hyejin-ie... Hyejin-ie can never be her... 

I clearly know that because Hyejin is not the type who listens. She is the type who worries and doesn't just stay at that. She would nag to make sure that I was safe. 'That person', even though I'm still unable to make out her face, she worries over me too but shows her concern in a different way. I know that. I could sense that. 

The difference is that I can find my heart and mind at ease just by being with 'that person'. Even the silence spent with her gives me comfort... I don't have to tell her everything, but she just knows... She knows just from the looks of my eyes, my smile and my little actions.

Stinging sensation concentrated at my eyes as though someone squirted lemon juice right at them. Once again, the tears welled up and threatened to flow anytime.

As though having thousands of swords piercing through my heart, this time it was no longer my head that hurts, but rather my heart that is in pain. I struggled to hold back on my tears. But it was too late, as tears had already started falling from my eyes. This time, I'm certain that the tears fell not because of that mysterious person. Tears are falling because of Hyejin... Because I realised that Hyejin is not 'that person'... Because I'm going to hurt Hyejin's feelings... Because I know that I am a sinner for making use of Hyejin's love for me as a disguise to hide my loneliness...

Sorry Hyejin-ie, it was selfish of me to think that you can replace her in my heart... It is my fault for thinking that I was done with her... Sorry for thinking that time could wash away all my past memories of her, only to find that I can't forget about her... 

I had tried to keep 'that person' away from both my brain and heart, but 3 months have passed yet she still remains in my memory. Why can't I forget about her, whose face I don't even remember? Why am I so weak for her, 'that person' whom I can't even picture her features?

Tears streamed down my face as I sat by the bunker bed in the room I share with Byulyi unnie, totally forgetting that I was about to catch a movie. The movie that filled me with excitement before all these things crashed onto me.

"Wheein-ah, Hyejin told me to accompany you to the movies..." Yongsun unnie opened the bedroom door without knocking, as usual. However, she could no longer continue her sentence when she saw the state that the older maknae is in. Sniffling and sobbing on the floor, I know that I am unable to hide my tears from Yongsun unnie who is facing me directly. So instead, I turned my back towards her.

"Look at me!" She forcefully turned me around to look at her in her eyes. "What happened Wheein-ah? Don't tell me that just because Hyejin is too busy to accompany you to the movies you cried?" I could see Yongsun unnie trying to regain her calm composure after discovering me in my current state.

It is all my fault. I am the one to blame. I'm sorry Hyejin-ie. Those words repeated in my head just like a broken voice recorder.

I shook my head at Yongsun unnie's question. The look in her eyes shows that she knows that I'm in pain.

"It is not what you think unnie..." At that moment, Yongsun unnie pulled me into her embrace, and I, just like a child who needed some comfort, welcomed her warmth without words. I could feel the genuine concern unnie has for me. The concern that she usually don't show easily. She is clearly worried about the older maknae who cried all by herself in the bedroom.

"It's okay. If you don't feel like talking about it, you don't have to." Yongsun unnie patted my back with her small but warm hands. "I'll be here for you Wheein-ah... I'll be always be your supporter to give you energy to fight on, I'll always be your teddy whom you can seek out a comforting hug, and I'll always be your Yongsun unnie whom you can speak all your worries to! So don't cry okay!" She said, with the wide reassuring smile spreading across her face. Then, her long thin fingers reached forward towards my face, tucked the stray hair behind my ears and wiped away the tears on my cheeks. That was her attempt at trying to make me smile again, though I wouldn't say that it is a success, I can feel her overflowing sincerity.

"I'm a bad person... To Hyejin-ie" I said it so softly, I wondered if yongsun unnie caught my words. "I realised today that I'll never be able to look at Hyejin as the love of my life... because our relationship has always been that of bestfriends. Or at the very most, sisters... I will always treat her that way, never beyond that." Wiping my tears away, Yongsun unnie signalled me to continue with a nod. "This is going to hurt her so bad, because I know how much...I know just how much she loves me. What should I do unnie?"

"Tell her." Yongsun unnie replied firmly. I looked up at her speechless at how she could say that so easily, when she clearly knows how much all of this is going to hurt Hyejin. "She will understand. In fact, I'm sure she's prepared for it because you weren't hers to begin with."

What..? What did I just hear? I wasn't Hyejin's to begin with... Shouldn't I be the only one who knows that? How can Yongsun unnie know that too? In fact, how can Yongsun unnie be so sure of it? Does Yongsun unnie know about 'that person' whom I belong to? Or is Yongsun unnie... 'that person'? 

"Let's forget about that and catch the movie that you were so excited about!" Yongsun unnie stood up and pulled me along. "You will tell Hyejin about it tonight. And because you are only going to do that tonight, leave that worrying until then as well. Now I want to see that smile of yours! Understand?" Her happiness was reflected through her eyes. Those eyes of hers seemed to have magic in them, because looking at them makes me forget about the worries that was just on my mind moments ago.

Just 2 hours later... 

The next thing I know, I was standing infront of the ticket kiosk, holding two movie tickets on hand while hugging a bucket of popcorn. Walking towards me, is Yongsun unnie who is holding the drinks in her bare hands.

"Aren't those cold?" I asked, amazed at how Yongsun unnie's small hands could handle the drinks, one in each hand without screaming at the cold temperature.

"Yeeeeessssssssssssssssss~" Yongsun unnie dragged her words like a child wanting a favor granted, pouting as she replies. Suddenly, I felt that our roles reversed where she seemed more like the five year old maknae of the group. "Please come help me please~ That pretty unnie over there, please~"

"Since you called me pretty, I'll do you a favor for once" Hugging the bucket of popcorn with one hand, I said as I tucked my hair behind my right ear, remembering to charm Yongsun unnie with a wink before walking towards her.

Why does this seems so familiar? It seemed like I have done the exact same thing with her befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter