Chap 12: Trust

Memories of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A lady in her mid twenties ran across the road, risking her life to catch up on the bus that was about to drive away. Fortunately, the bus driver was kind enough to wait a few seconds for her, though the passengers were likely to be annoyed at the few seconds they just wasted today.

She's lucky she got on the bus or she would probably have to wait another thirty minutes. The previous 170 that arrived was thirty minutes ago... That's pretty long...

But not as long as the time I've spent here...

"This is not productive at all unnie." Exasperated, I tried to knock some sense into the young lady sitting right beside me. "You dragged me out of the dorm just to sit here at the bus stop, watching people past by the whole morning. Oh I should probably add on to it; 'watching buses pass by the whole morning too'. For goodness sake! You and I could be doing some other things that may be more meaningful for the society."

A long silence ensued as I stared at her.

She used to be really confident of herself around us, cracking greasy jokes and spouting cheesy nonsense... Just how great is love that she became like this for Wheein? Even I wasn't like that...

After what seemed like eternity, she finally broke the silence.

"I once tried to protect Wheein from getting hurt by lying to her, but I only ended up hurting her more..." She stared into the space before her, zoning out completely. I was sure that her words were not directed to me. "When I tried to tell Wheein the truth now so that she would not be hurt, she doesn't believe me..."

"Oh please. If you loved her that much why would you guys break up?" I snorted at her comments.

"I wasn't the one who initiated it. She was." Her eyes started to well up with tears as she recalled all the events led up to the situation today. "I didn't even agree to it. She just woke up... Woke up forgetting about me. She woke up, believing that it was over between us. I had no choice but to... But to accept what she believed."

"It takes two hands to clap." I took a sip of the americano that I bought when we were walking aimlessly before arriving at the bus stop. The americano with all its ice melted tasted even more bitter. Frowning at the pungent and sharp taste, I continued explaining. "If you didn't give off that vibe that you two were over, she wouldn't wake up forgetting about you two."

"Okay maybe I did agree to it in a fit of anger." She sighed, a single tear rolled down her cheeks and left a visible mark on her deep blue jeans. "But it was because she didn't trust me at all."

"Or maybe you should have told her the truth there and then." Biting on the straw, I pondered over the decision to leave this cup of americano at the bin. "Honestly, I'm curious about what made you two quarrel that day as well. I mean... Both of you are that gone for each other that you will be willing to date in secret. What would make you guys break the faith?"

Since Wheein would have headaches when I ask her, I shall ask you instead.

"I wonder what went through your mind that day too..." Zoning out once again, her eyes looked empty as she stared afar.

"Wouldn't you be able to at least tell me from what you know?" I glanced towards the direction she was looking at, even though I was sure that there was nothing interesting.

What made Wheein hurt so badly?

"Hyejin-ah, I'm in pain. If you're not going to help me, at least don't put salt on my wounds." Her hoarse voice reflected her exhaustion.

Well...Wheein is afraid of you hurting her again... I can't let you hurt my bestie ever again. How can I even bring myself to help you?!

Finally she stood up and we headed back towards the dorm. "Do you think they left?"

"They probably did if they had plan to spend the whole day out..." I know that my reply is going to prick at her, but I had to lay the truth before her. "Wheein-ie says they are going to the beach cafe to play today, but the summer is not even full blast back yet... I just hope they don't catch a cold right before our comeback next week."

The walk back to the dorm was silent. If anyone had saw us, they would probably think that we were strangers who knew nothing of each other.

"Avoiding them doesn't heal those wounds unnie. Maybe you should stop hiding." No longer able to stand seeing her in this state, I stood infront of her, blocking her from moving another step forward. "When I was with Wheein, you hid beside Yongsun unnie telling yourself that you will forget. Now that Wheein is dating Yongsun unnie, you seek cover once again to dwell on how much you're hurting, instead of taking action to get her back. You tell me that you love Wheein. If you really do, why are you doing nothing?"

"How can I ask her to stay by my side if she doesn't... Doesn't love me?" Pushing me aside, Byulyi unnie continued on the path. 

"From the way I look at it, you're the one who would hurt Wheein more than Yongsun unnie." My words made her stop and turn towards me, looking extremely puzz

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter