The Bewilderment

The Third Favor. 2Jae edition

Days and nights have been dying too fast lately, in Jaebum's opinion. Two weeks had passed by since the game started officially and the ‘help’ the blonde demon gave him –quite contrary to its propose- hadn’t make anything easier. Jaebum is starting to feel restless, just seven days is all he has and it seems like tall, heavy walls closing slowly on him; suffocating him to death. He hadn’t guessed anything, not even the tiniest detail –besides the fact that he is a high-class demon-. Jaebum has nothing, not information or any new clue. BamBam didn’t find books about it and Mark had been too busy with that research of his that, according to the younger boy, he barely had time to sleep four hours. And even if his older friend would have time to call him, a sleepy genius is pretty much useless to figure out a twisted riddle.

“The spell of book it’s my only salvation” Jaebum thinks, packing up his things while the last bell of the day echoes in the old building.

It’s not that he hasn’t thought in the book before, it’s just that Jaebum rather not to run the risk to accidentally summon another creature; therefor he tried to found information through books and the vast ocean of internet. But that wasn’t effective, and so the book of spells it’s his last resource. Luckily, it will be his winning ticket as well… or perhaps his death sentence. Intense chills run playfully through his spine as Jaebum crosses the already empty hallways, forcing him to walk a little bit faster and get to the library as quick as he can. Jaebum rushes down the stairs and barely hears the echo of his own steps walking hurriedly through the open gallery, feeling his heart calming down when the doors of the library are just a few steps away. Yet Jaebum never noticed when did his heartbeats had started to accelerate.

Heavy doors closed behind his back as Jaebum reaches the place, blowing air calmly like a low sigh. A heartwarming sensation takes over him then, being here have always make the black haired boy feel pretty much at ease. It seems it has been ages since he put a feet in this place, his most favorite one in the Universe; yet a bittersweet taste slides down his throat because Jaebum remembers exactly why. After the blonde demon appeared, for multiples types of reasons he didn’t have time to come and let himself drowned in this mesmerizing ocean of knowledge. Wandering once again across the tall shelves Jaebum feels like being back at home, but that unpleasant taste in his mouth -which remembers him what he is looking for- is enough to turn his nostalgic sensations into something rather uncomfortable.

Turning around one familiar corner Jaebum sees that little table at the end of the hallway, the feelings of fresh déjà vu makes all his senses to be alert. He wants to take the damn book, go home and win this stupid game once and for all. His impatient eyes place on the bottom shelf while Jaebum crunches down, searching in the shadows that particular silver spark which, basically, bring him back to the actual situation. Just if he hadn’t seen that shine at that time everything could be completely different by now. Life is ironic, isn’t it? A soft chuckles slides off his lips at that thought, Jaebum can’t help but laugh a little at his ty luck. Yet the echo of that sadly amused chuckle slowly fades away in the small hallway, being replaced by the deafening silence of Jaebum's sealed lips.

“It’s not here…” he thinks, his incredulous brown eyes blinking like if his sight is the one thing wrong.

It doesn’t matter how many times or how quick he close and open his eyes, the book wasn’t in the place he found it. Standing up by a sudden rush of nervous concern Jaebum checks the top shelves, not finding the book there neither. Unnecessary shivers are already running down his back while he walks back down the hallway, reviewing the other History books but not finding the one which is making his heart beat unsettle. His hands are sweat by now and the dust glues to his fingertips as Jaebum searches even in the Literature section, obviously not having a better luck there. His breathing is slightly irregular, yet Jaebum can still manage to be compose because a book can’t disappear from the school library just like that. It’s either because it is somewhere else in this big room or because someone have took it home.

“Or did he took it?” the only thought makes his legs feels like jelly. “No, he wouldn’t play dirty… or would he?” Jaebum wonders doubtful, cold chills spreading slowly under his skin like some sort of unconscious answer.

The sound of the sneakers rubbing annoyingly noisy against the floor rumbles loud around the silent maze of shelves, mixing with the strong stomps of Jaebum's heart on his ears as he rush back to the reception. It’s highly improbable that the book of spell is somewhere else in this perfectly ordered library, so the only option left it’s that someone took it home and Jaebum knows –better than anyone in this school- the moves of these books are carefully controlled. None of them pass through those heavy doors without specifically detailing where it goes, for how long, and the fact which makes Jaebum's heart frustratingly impatient to know… with whom. Therefore, if he took it then the records must say the book it is still in the library. When Jaebum finally finds the way out that endless maze he sees the nice old lady typing something down on the computer, Jaebum slows down his hurry steps; taking a deep breath to act as natural as he can fake to be.

-Good afternoon…- Jaebum greets the woman behind the wooden desk, having a sweet smile responding him. –I’m searching a book but I don’t find it in its section, might be that someone took it home?- he wonders, using his most charming voice.

-Let’s check the database, my dear.- the lady tells with her worn out yet still gentle voice. –Please tell me the title of the book and its code.- she ask as her wrinkled fingers upon the keyboard waits for his answer.

-I don’t know the code but the title is… ‘Book of spells’- Jaebum responds calmly, trying to ignore the fact of how odd the situation is.

-Well with such peculiar title we don’t need the code, do we?- the old lady jokes, somewhat, chuckling amused while she types fast the name of the book.

-Yeah, I hope so.- Jaebum mumbles for himself, feeling his heartbeats a little unsettled.

-Here it is. Code: HB – 01, that means it is the first History book of our library.- the woman comments, her eyes shrinking behind her big glasses to read the information. –Title: ‘Book of spells’ Author: unknown. Editorial: unknown. Year: unknown. Volume: 2 out of Not Specified. Source: unknown. Last time borrowed: 1/05/2016. Returns: 22/05/2016-

-Wait, what? It’s borrowed for three weeks straight?- Jaebum wonders slightly shocked, his eyebrows frowning incredulous.  

-It seems it is, my darling.- the old lady nods, her warm brown eyes placing on him. –But May 22 it’s just next week. I’m sure you can wait till then.- she smiles, in a way to comfort him.

-I can’t wait that long. I need it for… a History project.- Jaebum lies, knowing that if even his shorty friend Jackson believe that then surely everyone will do as well.

-That’s so bad, sweetheart. I can search another book similar to that one.- the woman offers him nicely, true concern painting over her old but soft factions.

-No, it’s okay. What I need it’s just in that book.- Jaebum smiles weakly, suddenly feeling a little bit sick. –But, can you please tell me who borrowed it?- he asks, faking those ‘puppy’ eyes Bam always tell him no one could resist.

-Oh I’m so sorry, dear. I can’t give you that information.- the old lady shakes her head, pulling her hands away from the keyboard in the process.

Jaebum understands perfectly, the old lady won’t give him that information under any circumstances; his charm or the pity she might have for him are more than workless and that leaves him disarm. Mumbling a weak ‘thank you’ he simply bows to the receptionist, turning around then to rush out the room in a disappointed silence. The warm breeze of summer blowing through the open gallery receives him with a gentle touch as Jaebum crosses the school’s front door, having the immensity of the front yard yet still to walk on. A heavy sigh escapes his lips, feeling the yellow sun lights hitting right into his brown eyes and forcing him to look down at his walking feet. Each step Jaebum takes away from the library remind him about the book, the game and the short time he has till sand stop running in the demon’s clock. It could be a lie to say he is not afraid and quite stress about possibly dying the following week, but the fact that it wasn’t him who took the book encourages Jaebum to not give up just yet. He can’t explain it, but that’s who he feels.

“But who took it then?” Jaebum wonders while crossing the big gates of the school’s building, feeling the summer breeze blowing faster and tousling his brown locks.

-Jaebum! Finally!- someone exclaims, jumping right in front of him only God knows from where in this empty sidewalk.

-Oh, Suzy. Hi…- Jaebum smiles awkwardly, seeing his classmate smiling back at him with such a friendly grin. -Were you waiting for me?- he asks, noticing the odd ‘finally’ in her greeting.

-Yes, I was. I… want to ask you something.- Suzy says, her feminine cheeks suddenly taking a soft carmine color.

-What is it?- Jaebum wonders not really interested. But she waited for him, the last thing he can do is listen to her.

-Well, ‘Sherlock Holms’ last movie is out and you look like the type of boy who would enjoy a movie like that so… I was just thinking that maybe… you wanna… go to watch it with me this Saturday?- she tells, playing nervously with her slender fingers; barely looking at him in the eye.

For a moment Jaebum wanted to laugh. Must she acts like this for such a thing? Must she even wait for after school to ask him this? Maybe is rude –and cold- to think like that when the girl step up and asked him out directly, but why has she to do it like that? Is so cliché, acting cute and embarrassed to have the boy saying yes like an idiot. Obviously Jaebum isn’t one of those and he is really doing his best to not chuckle and make her cry. He wants to reject her offer -God knows he wants to- but those sensations the blonde demon made him feel long nights ago still make him twitch when he remembers about it. He hates it –Hell knows he hates it- but for some reason his body likes it, quite much, and Jaebum has chills just by the images his tormented mind forms when night comes and he is all alone in bed. It is awful to use Suzy and her probably nice feelings to ignore what it shouldn’t be happening to him, but Jaebum sees no other way. It will make her happy and it will help him, how much hurtful can it be?  Plus, going out with her would be pretty useful to fool Jackson as well.

-I really like Sherlock Holms' movies, it would be nice to go to see it with you, Suzy.- Jaebum smiles, in that charming way it makes women blush.

-R-really?- Suzy mumbles shyly, her big brown eyes shining hopefuls while the rosy color of her cheeks turns redder.

-Sure. What time should I pick you up?- he asks nicely, biting back a chuckle as how obvious this girl is. Does she likes him that much?

-¡-you don’t have to! Let’s meet up at 8:30 at the movies, yes? I-I have to go now, so see you!- Suzy speaks quick, barely letting him understand the time and the place before she was already running away.

“Well that was pretty much unexpected” Jaebum chuckles as he turns to the left, starting his short walk back at home.

Time pass quick, and the road isn’t really long per se, so soon enough he was already inside his mute house. The boring routine of each day doesn’t end just by crossing the door of this empty place. It goes on as Jaebm leaves his backpack upon he living room’s couch, takes a soda out the fridge without bothering in turning on the lights of the untouched kitchen. But once the door of his bedroom is closed behind his back is when Jaebum can enjoy the day as he pleases. The sweet liquid run downs his throat slowly, flooding his taste buds as Jaebum grabs the latest book he had bought. Leaving the still full can above the computer’s desk he flops down on the comfortable bed, opening the book where he was left with the reading; instantly feeling the stress fading away from his system… or so it was before the loud sound of an incoming call annoyed him.

Taking the buzzing phone and sitting straight upon the mattress Jaebum frowns confuse, seeing the ID of his nice and very busy friend Mark on the screen.

-Hey Mark!- Jaebum rushes to answer, his tone of voice probably too excited.

-Jaebum! How are you doing? It has been so long since we talked!- Mark exclaims, not having any problem with being overly happy.

-And whose fault is that, huh?- Jaebum smirks amused, imagining the older boy’s expression.

-College's fault, but well, that’s over now.- the boy says amused as well, surely smirking mischievously wide. –I call you because Bam told me to call you so… what’s up?- Mark asks, nice and cool as usual.

-I have to ask you a favor, can you help me out with a riddle?- Jaebum says calmly, knowing that his best friend could never say no in such a matter.

-Sure! Come on, shoot~- Mark answers enthusiastically, like it is so characteristic of him.

-Okay, it is like this: ‘I came from a place surrounded by immortal giants. Where time do not pass. There are rivers, but the water never runs. Birds sing, but you cannot hear them. The sun shine, but you rarely feel warm. ¿Where do I come from?’- Jaebum repeats the demon’s words, having them imprinted on his memory.

-Ummm…- the older boy on the other end of the line hums thoughtful, surprising Jaebum a little bit. –By ‘immortal giants’ I’m sure it talks about trees, so it must be a forest. But I don’t really have idea about the rest.- Mark comments sounding slightly dumbfounded.

-A forest? But in any kind of forest the water runs on rivers, the sun it’s warm and birds sings.- Jaebum says, feeling a little irritated. –Not to mention time never stops.- he adds, hating that stupid riddle.

-I know, Jaebum. It’s so twisted… I’m gonna think about it and try to figure it out, okay?- Mark tells nicely, completely decided to solve it.

-You don’t have to, Mark. It’s not really that important.- Jaebum lies, just to not let him know the riddle it is more than just important.

-You know how I love to solve these things, leave it to me!- Mark exclaims excited again, making the black haired boy feel at ease. –Bam wants to tell you something, so see you on Monday!- the boy greets, quickly giving the phone to his lover.

-Jaebum! You won’t believe what I got!- BamBam screams right into his ear, louder than usual.

-Hey Bam… I hope it’s something good because I would hate to have hearing loss for nothing.- Jaebum mocks, being highly serious.

-Uh, sorry about that~- the younger boy apologies, lowering his voice considerately. –I found a page online about a gothic store here in Boston and I went to check if they had something about what you asked me. It isn’t exactly gothic, it’s more like… those thing about magic and tarot girls like so much, but the thing is they did have a book about demons.- BamBam tells, his soft voice ringing loudly in Jaebum's head.

For a moment his mind couldn’t believe his ears… information? Is Bam really telling him he has a chance to win this sick game?! It sounds too good to be truth, and probably it is.

-I believe you did buy it, right?- Jaebum asks suspicious, having a funny chuckle from his younger friend which says BamBam indeed did buy it. –Read me the first page, then scan the rest and send it to me.- he asks, a winning smirk already painting on his lips.

-Page? Hyung, there’s just a paragraph about it in the whole book.- BamBam tells amused, erasing the smirk he can’t see from his friend’s features.

-What do you mean with just a paragraph? Are you sure?- Jaebum tries to not freak out, feeling his world slowly crushing down.

-I checked it, like four times. But there’s nothing much than a few lines… maybe on the other book there is something.- the younger boy comments, making Jaebum frown curios.

-There is another book?- he inquires, quite interested about it.

-The girl of the store told me this book is the first on of two volumes. This one talks about the history of magic, angels, demons, God, the Devil; everything is here. But the second one is more technical, it’s about spells. She said with that book you can actually summon a demon, but who could ever believe that, right?- Bam chuckles at his last phrase, which Jaebum barely heard.

Volume: 2 out of Not Specified” the soft voice of the old lady in the library echoes in his mind loudly, realizing the book of spells comes with the one Bam bought in Boston. But how did they ended so far away?

-Yeah, who could…?- Jaebum mumbles slightly sarcastic, knowing that no one could ever believe him if he told his story. –Anyways, what does the book says about demons?- he goes back to the main topic, hearing how his friend flipping pages.

-It doesn’t says much besides what everyone already knows: for who they work, how they are, how they look, their evil nature and stuff.- BamBam comments nonchalantly. –The interesting thing is demon are divide in high-class and low-class demons.- he adds, making Jaebum curiouser.

-Really? What it says about that?- he wonders, remembering what the blonde demon said the night the game started.

-‘Demons are divided in two only categories: high-class and low-class. The low-class demons are weak compare to the others, they are essentially evil and they only emerge to Earth to make their Lord’s will. High-class demons are the opposite. They are strong and more much smarter than other demons. They have especial powers, according to which area they rule; therefore they don’t have to obey their Lord. High-class demons oddly go down to the Underworld, since they live on Earth yet it’s impossible to know where exactly or why.- BamBam reads slowly, letting his friend listen carefully everything.

-That doesn’t really say much…- Jaebum mumbles disappointed, sighing pretty much annoyed.

-Well, it’s something… I guess.- BamBam says awkwardly, surely smiling like that as well. –I’m sorry, hyung. I couldn’t help you with your project.- he apologizes, his nice voice suddenly ringing darker.

-It’s okay, Bam. It isn’t a lot, but as you said at least it’s something. Thank you.- Jaebum smiles even if his friend can’t see it, trying to see the bright side. –I have to go now. I will see you on Monday, okay? Bye.-  he quickly ends the call, letting his heavy body falls on the bed once again.

-High-class demons live on Earth… the riddle talks about forest… so he lives in the forest?- Jaebum murmurs tiredly, looking the yellow sunlight reflecting in the white ceiling above his head.

His eyelids fall slowly while a low sight escapes from his lips, he feels just too exhausted and his mind seems to be too loaded to keep thinking in something so intricate. He just wants to sleep and wait till the blonde demon arrives anytime soon, and maybe found out if he is close to win the game or to lose his life. The only thought makes him feel uneasy and cold, but there’s an odd sensation running through his body. Jaebum can’t possibly know why, but he has the strong sensation he now knows something essential to have the victory.