The Catastrophe

The Third Favor. 2Jae edition

Sunrays shine, brightly and warmly across the endless blue sky, reaching out every tiny gap of the awaking city. Reflecting themselves on crystal clear windowpanes of fancy tall buildings sunlight sparks strongly, hotter, and wonderful shades of yellow and orange tint white, pure walls over a tenth floor’s department. Through one single open window summer breeze blows along with the light of new day, impregnating a small living room with the nice scent of early morning. Goosebumps appears in smooth, warm skin as the breeze uncovered arms and legs thanks to the light clothing of fresh season; shivers spreading slowly along with the mild draft of cool air. The hushed noise of black curtains swaying is all which can be hear in the tense silence around the room; though Jaebum could also hear the loud and nervous beating of his uneasy heart echoing in his ears as if a catastrophe was about to strike. And Good Lord, he knows it will be awful.
 

This uncomfortable scenario had begun ten minutes ago, or maybe less, Jaebum isn’t exactly sure. Time has been running slow since Jackson ordered them to follow him to the living room, where Mark and Bambam were waiting for them already seat in one of the large leather couches. Jackson joined them as soon as they arrived to the silent room, and Jaebum nervously followed his blonde demon and sat down on a smaller couch, right in front of his three best friends. With his head hanging low and hands gripping the rough fabric of his short jeans Jaebum hasn’t make eye contact with any of them yet –and he fervently pray to not make it either- but the hard and stern gaze of Jackson is impossible to ignore, let alone to bare one more awkward moment. No one has spoken a word in these endless minutes, it feels like anyone won’t speak any time soon neither, and Jaebum anxiously wish to disappear right now because this situation is making him insane with shame and fear. Such pressure and desperation are pretty much suffocating.
 

But there’s a sigh, a heavy and long sigh which makes Jaebum tense and wish harder to disappear. 
 

-Jaebum hyung, could you introduce us your friend?- Bambam nice and caring tone is like a small rush of calmness to him, though he still want to walk away from such awkward situation.
 

-Well…- Jaebum quietly says, head lifting slow to meet with the black eyes of the boy sitting beside him; head working quick to make up a good story about the two of them. –Follow whatever I say, please.- he whispers to the King, having just his emotionless gaze looking back at him as the only respond.
 

-He is Jae, a friend of mine.- Jaebum answers then, fast and as composed as he can manage to be in this moment; nervous brown eyes shifting to his friends on the other side of the coffee table.   
 

-Hi, Jae. Nice to meet you. You might know who we are already, so let’s skip the presentations.- Mark jokingly comments, trying to ease the air around them and Jaebum mentally thanks him for that.
 

-Nice to meet you too.- the King answers simply, his calm tone echoing strong but nice in the room.
 

-He is from Finland, we met at school.- Jaebum awkwardly explains then, a blush creeping through his cheeks.
 

-That’s cool! But you should have told us he was coming with you, JB.- Mark comments then, making Jaebum tense up again.
 

-Yeah, we could’ve prepared a room for him and all. Why didn’t you tell us?- Bambam asks honestly puzzled, and Jaebum almost forgot how to breathe for the slight fraction of a second.
 

-Umm, well, we planned it b-but then… we… kinda… we had a fight a-and I thought he wasn’t coming so… yeah…- Jaebum nervously tells, being so bad at lying that he is sure none of his friends believe that; the blush on his face getting furiously redder in shame.
 

-Oh, then, Jae came just to make up with you?- Mark wonders, playing along maybe to not make Jaebum feel too bad about it. –That’s really nice, there are not much people who could do that for a friend.- he comments, a comforting smile curving in his lips as his eyes fall on Jaebum; making him a tiny bit less uneasy.
 

-”For a friend”? What the , Mark!? You saw them kissing last night!- but Jackson exclaims suddenly, abruptly, loud and angry and unbelieving; gaze shifting from the oldest of them to the King demon, staring harsh at him. -Why were you kissing Jaebum last night?- he questions him, tone low and so serious that any person could have tremble intimidated.
 

But he was no person, and he was most certainly not intimidated. At all.
 

-Why do you want to know?- the demon wonders, his soft and calm voice ringing with mild amusement; onyx eyes staring directly at those foreign furious ones.
 

-Because he is my friend and you were about to ing ravish him last night, that’s why.- Jackson answers, strong and cold; eyebrows frowned and knuckles cracking impatiently.
 

-He wish I was…- Youngjae murmurs teasingly, just loud enough for Jaebum to hear; feeling his human blushing in embarrassment. –We were just kissing. Nothing forced at all.- He says then, composed; as a smirk playfully paints upon his lips.
 

-Don’t give me that ! You were taking advantage of Jaebum when he was drunk as .- Jackson hisses, eyes digging holes in the insufferable boy in front of him. His patience running thin.
 

-But I did not do such thing.- the King argues, his golden head moving calmly to emphasize his words; eyebrows rising so falsely innocent. –And you know it.- He adds with confidence, hiding behind a nice tone of voice his despicable teasing intention.
 

-Don’t dare to ing play dumb with me, I know you were trying to take advantage of him.- Jackson angrily tells, his dark eyes becoming uncommonly cold and harsh.
 

-Oh but you do know I’m saying the truth. You said it to Mark moments ago, didn’t you? ‘You saw them kissing last night’- Youngjae repeats, the exact same words said with a mocking tone which has his counterparty gripping his hands furiously; and the smirk on his face gets impishly wider.
 

-That was just a way of speaking.- Jackson answers low, and too calm for his friend’s like. Because Jackson is like a storm, like the sea… just as unpredictable and feared.
 

-Oh, was it just now?- the blonde demon sarcastically asks, yet the grin on his face does not fades way.

–I think you said it like that because you do know what’s in between us, you just can’t stand it.- he explains, reading the shorter boy as if he was an open book.
 

-Of course I can’t stand you. He is my friend and that’s ing disgusting.- Jackson stress the word between his teeth, biting on it, hating the only idea that comes with it; eyes looking more frightening than Jaebum have ever seen.
 

-Disgusting?- Youngjae wonders, faking confusion. -Because it is me or because I’m a male?- He inquires, so perfectly aware of the answer.
 

-Both.- but the short boy responds does surprised the King a little, just slightly. But enough to make his eyebrows rise and lips part amuse and amazed.
 

-Oh, how interesting. You, of all people, saying it is disgusting... - he softly comments, nose breathing in deeply the cool air in the room. –How interesting, indeed.- He sighs, calm and mockingly, sharp fangs poking at the end of his grinning face.
 

Yet his eyes, his penetrant and clear dark eyes are fixed on Jackson's, staring right into them, right into him. And Jackson does not get it at first, he is concentrated in what the blonde boy is saying, in how he wish he could smash his fist right in the middle of that stupid smirk. But then he feels it, the odd sensation of being caught up, the chills creeping down his spine, the tremble of his shoulders and the emptiness inside… and Jackson sees it too, the horrible imagine of his dreadful secret painted in the cruel darkness of those unfamiliar eyes. Jackson wishes he was just imagining things, just dreaming, hallucinating; too drunk or too high, or everything at once. But the feeling of fragile vulnerability is unmistakable, extraordinarily unique and impossibly hurtful. It digs under his skin, it breaks something inside, it torns his complete world apart. Jackson thinks this could never be any more catastrophic, and then those eyes turn for a moment, placing themselves shamelessly on the man besides Jackson, on his tall best friend who is oblivious to everything –who must be oblivious forever- and those heartless irises go back to him, stabbing him with one single glance, silently, cruelly. Jackson's heart shakes uneasy, shatters a little, bleeds through the one wound which had took long years to heal.     
 

The one truth no one must know, the one truth he swore to drag to the grave, he knows it now. He knows it…
 

Jackson couldn’t stand it any longer, with his disconnected mind his body quickly moves on his own, putting him on his feet and walking him out the apartment; leaving behind his three confused friends and him. The wooden door closes at his back with a loud and harsh slam and Jackson could still feel in that living room as he goes down the dully illuminated aisle, like if he hasn’t moved at all and was still looking at those emotionless orbs. His breathing becomes shallow suddenly, heavier, and Jackson leans against a wall hearing the deafening sound of the elevator going slowly up floor by floor. Taking deep and slow breathes Jackson tries to calm down, tries to stop trembling but it is not working. Because Jackson could still feel it, the pressure on his chest, those eyes on the back of his neck… the haunting sensation that he knows everything


Hey guys! Sorry for the late update, I forgot I had to ^^' Also sorry for the short chap, next one is a lot better I promise ;)

As usual, thank you all for reading and commenting!!~