Denial

The Third Favor. 2Jae edition

Snow pours over him, silently in the calmness of the last instants of the night; leaving cold caresses along his pale skin. The warm breath as he exhales clashes with the freezing temperature of his vast kingdom, naturally conforming itself in a brief fog before the kind breeze blows it away, blending it with the mist of winter morning. Throughout the endlessly tall pines of dark green tree crowns the yellow sun rises from down below the horizon, slowly but surely lighting it all up. Weak rays of light brush sleepily across the King’s emotionless factions -feeling just as cold as snow does- while he just stands there in the middle of the mute, dark forest.

Closing his eyes for a moment Youngjae focus on sensing the faint trace those tiny little snowflakes draw on his flesh, concentrating in the way sun burns the coldness they leave behind, inhaling the fresh perfume of green grass soak in winter dew; trying to let himself fade away within the nature. Yet sunrays tickles warmly on his pale eyelids, having the King sighing annoyed while his onyx orbs open; greeting the bright new day with an exasperated gaze and knitted dark brows.

-Another day…- he grumbles lowly, dry lips pressing together with displeasure; as that very odd sensation inside his chest tightens a little bit stronger.

 It is strange, the way he feels; yet it’s even stranger how this curios sensation gets a little bit more unbearable at each passing day. If the King demon had –at least- a slightest knowledge about emotions he could, without a doubt, name it. Or he could think he has been spending far too much time on his human form and is actually turning into one now, that would be a very reasonable explanation. Yet this goes beyond reason, goes beyond any idea or conjecture his intellect could create, and that gets on Youngjae's nerves like no other ing thing. The weird sensation deep inside his chest is, by far, the most baffling thing the blonde demon had felt so far. Had ever felt, actually. Because demons don’t feel much, anyways, and Youngjae can count with half of his hand the only times he had, indeed, felt.

As absurd as it might sound, demons like Youngjae have some sort of light deep within them. Demons with animal spirit like him, to be precise, are vulnerable to the goodness of their animalistic essence. However, it is not quite easy for that vulnerability to take control over them. That natural goodness is prisoned under the domain of every demon vile soul, buried in the darkness, tamed almost to surrender. Almost, because there have been moments that light had shined; moments which Youngjae can count with half of his hand.

Again, as absurd as it might sound.

And the very few times Youngjae had felt, not tactfully but with his heart, have been nothing baffling and bloody nerve wracking like this damn thing he is feeling now. The sensations of those times are not even close to this suffocating emptiness inside his chest. Not even remotely alike to this coldness making him quiver violently inside even if he spends the whole day under the burning rays of yellow sun. Not even comparable to this constricting distress which tightens his chest at every low heartbeat… Youngjae cannot either remember when was the last time he felt this lonely and putting aside the death of his parents Youngjae have never had the urge to hold back the rush of tears begging to fall from his eyes, certainly.

Then what the hell is he feeling and why?

-Why?- Youngjae murmurs under his light breath, having unwanted flashbacks of five days ago.

The fact that these sensations started the same day –to not say the very same moment- his human yelled at him to disappear from his life has absolutely nothing to do with it. Because if it did, that would imply that idiotic boy has some sort of effect on him; and other than purely ual desire that light head does nothing to the King’s sensations. Because, giving to the fact that he is indeed an animal, it’s all strict instinct: he likes to kiss the boy just because he likes it, not because the human’s lips are the sweetest thing he tasted. He likes to be with him because the young boy is just nice and doesn’t really bother him, not because he wants to hear that very soft voice and see those charming smiles and with a little bit of luck feel his touch. He doesn’t hate him just because the human doesn’t hate him, not because he can’t hate him -it doesn’t matter if he tries- because that stupid boy does and says things which have the King feeling so disconcertingly nice inside.

It’s instinct, just instinct, that’s what Youngjae repeats himself.

-Just instinct…- He whispers, hearing the first singing of the birds; although his chest tightens once again and it’s difficult to swallow the knot of odd emotions in his throat.

Empty orbs fall to the white ground under his bare feet, as the King questions himself briefly if it’s honestly just instinct before suddenly strong arms wrap around his body, warm chest pressing nicely against his back and plump lips brushing gently against his freezing ear words which Youngjae does not catch right away and the werewolf repeats softly in the calmness of the morning.

-Why is it my King standing here?- Yugyeom says in a hurried murmur, denoting he must had either walked too fast or directly run searching for him.

-Just admiring my kingdom, Yugyeom.- the demon simply answers, feeling the wolf’s hold loosing just slightly.

-Oh… Isn’t a little bit too early for that?- Yugyeom asks, curiousness so loud in his soft voice.

-It is, indeed. I just couldn’t sleep any longer.- Youngjae lies, so slyly credible.

-Well, it isn’t as if my King got any sleep in the first place…- although the werewolf isn’t exactly easy to fool. Unfortunately.

-But that is something you and I know far too well.- the King mumbles nonchalantly, not wanting to hear the wolf’s pointless concern yet again. –The good question is, why are you awake so early, Yugyeom?- He wonders, noticing how not common it is for the werewolf to be awake at this hours.

The way Yugyeom trembles uneasy behind him is also quite not common, not to mention how odd is it to see the werewolf’s hands shaking and curiously quickly unwrapping from his body. That’s it if Youngjae does not count the step back Yugyeom takes, as if he were a scared wolf. 

-I’m… ummm… going to buy food early today.- Yugyeom says, as if it wasn’t the most ridiculous thing he could’ve come up with.

-Oh? Do humans wake up so early to open up their shops?- Youngjae asks quizzical, although he knows Yugyeom won’t take it like that.

-Yes, my King. They really do.- the werewolf answers totally convinced of his lie, having the demon turning around abruptly and staring with narrowed and doubtful eyes at him.

-This early, Yugyeom?- Youngjae inquires, eyebrows rising curious and lips curling mischievously.

-Y-yes, my King…- the wolf stumbles with his tongue, gaze dropping low to his feet and fingers moving restlessly against the blue fabric of his pants.

Yuggyeom cannot lie as well as the blonde demon, obviously. Not only because his physical responds are far too honest, but also because of the strong nervousness and anxiety oozing from every one of his sweaty pores. This isn’t really a surprise to Youngjae, though. What is certainly curious its why is Yugyeom lying now when he have never had a reason to do so before. Youngjae had spent a few long centuries living with the werewolf to know this much, therefor this strange situation awakes on the King demon a big and thirsty curiosity.

-Very well, then.- Youngjae simply mumbles, watching the soft way Yugyeom shivers at his words. –Shall we go back to the cottage?- he asks, walking pass the uneasy werewolf; heading to the little house they shared.

Hearing the soft steps of Yugyeom fallowing him closely the blonde demon cannot help but relate the werewolf’s strange behavior with his outburst almost a week ago. After the little inconvenient he had with his human Youngjae had no other choice than comeback to his kingdom. He thought Yugyeom was going to be still feeling moody -and he wasn’t really looking forward to deal with that- but to the King’s surprise the werewolf was respectful and nice as always. It was very odd –still is though- how quickly Yugyeom got over all those toxic emotions and welcomed the demon with opened arms and his always friendly smiles. There is no need to say Youngjae didn’t wonder about it, if Yugyeom had move on so easily then surely wasn’t something very important; though the King still believes the wolf’s attitude was –is- kinda fishy. That is why Youngjae told himself to keep an eye on him, though giving to what just happened he should probably keep both eyes on the young wolf from now on.

“As if I don’t have enough problems already” Youngjae grumbles in his thoughts, pushing open the cottage’s wooden door a little bit too harshly.

Act which Yugyeom did not ignore, of course.

-Is it my King alright?- he asks, with his always polite tone tinted with growing worry.

-Yes, Yugyeom. I am alright.- the King answers as a matter of fact, flopping down on his bed, turning his back towards the wolf, ending like that the conversation.

-Honestly? Because my King had been looking a little bit… down these past few days. My King have not checked on that human in a long while either.- but Yugyeom does not drop the conversation, quite contrary, only makes it worst.

 “Looking down, what the does he means?” Youngjae thinks annoyed, watching with a frowning face the graceful way snow falls outside. Completely ignoring the wolf’s remark.

-Maybe it is because of him that my King is like this?- Yugyeom wonders carefully, his tone soft and extremely polite. -Did… did something happened between you two?- He adds a little bit nervous, somehow sensing the demon displeasure about his questions.

-Don’t you have to go to buy food, Yugyeom?- the King asks, his low and stern tone daring him to make one more question.

Swallowing hard and catching right away the very direct indirect Yugyeom just puts on his coat and grabs the old shopping bag near the kitchen; dragging then his feet silently to the door. Sighing softly as his hand lies on the doorknob the wolf’s worry gaze falls on the blonde demon, seeing just barely his frowning reflection on the windowpane and the hurtful way his onyx eyes look emptier than ever. It is not like the King demon was the sweetest creature on Earth, Yugyeom had always known that, but what have made his heart beat for his King was the warm spark he always saw on those dark eyes, and it was that same shine what made him believe the demon isn't the cruelest creature in this world either.

If the spark is gone and the King haven’t seen his human since so long, then it is only logical to think like Yugyeom does.

-I am not saying anything happened… but if it did and my King wants to talk about it… I-I am here.- Yugyeom says with nervous honesty, taking one last glance over the annoyed reflection of the blonde demon before walking out the cottage.

 The mutely noise of the door closing behind the werewolf rumbles in the demon’s ears along with his last words, fingernails digging in the white sheets as hands grip them tightly because of the stupid things said. He is not looking down, because nothing happened and there is absolutely nothing to talk about, this is what Youngjae believes as he cuddles a little more on the bed, silently watching the snow falling outside and feeling the annoying sunlight tickling in his eyes…

…It is indeed what Youngjae believes, yet he vanishes from the bed and suddenly the very bright and artificial lights of this place blind him for a while, and he starts to wondering how in Hell is he going to find his human in this maze of dancing people.


Short chapter, sorry! But I think we got to know a bit more about Youngjae's feelings?? I think the next couple of chapters are way more revealing but you will have to wait for that~~