My Cruel Appa

Forgotten

Chapter 16: My Cruel Appa

Luhan swept the floor in the small cafe, a pile of wrappers and straws lay in a pile, ready to throw in the trash.

Luhan decided to work harder and longer than usual in attempts to save some money to go to Paris and enjoy the scenery with Ziyu and Haowen.

Luhan knelt down to scoop up the remnants of the trash on the floor, throwing them in the waste basket. 

He had yet to think about Ziyu and Haowen. As a child, Luhan had always thought that a child would only disturb one’s work. At least that was what his father told him; he believed it. Luhan loved the twins with all his heart and no one could change that, even if they tried. 

“Luhan!” yelled Baekhyun barging into the cafe just as Luhan was putting away his apron. He panted, hands on knees as he bent down, almost out of breath. 

Luhan cocked his head, eyes sleepy from the work. There was no one left in the cafe, for the manager left Luhan to sweep up and call it a day as the old man headed home to a warm dinner filled with beef and potatoes baked by his lover. 

The manager was a kind man who had once invited Luhan to his house. It was a beautiful and quaint place, beautifully decorated. 

“What’s wrong Baekhyun? You shouldn’t be running around like that while you are pregnant.” Luhan asked, shrugging on his light gray jacket, the edges frayed from usage.  

Baekhyun’s face was full of worry, he skipped over Luhan’s message and grasped Luhan by his shoulders. “You won’t believe me, Ziyu’s gone.”

Luhan frowned in confusion, allowing his friend to continue.

“I was with Ziyu and Haowen at the park, you know that big one with the large dolphin sculpture, waiting for Chanyeol to finish up his paperwork.” Baekhyun tugged at his black shirt, “They were fine, so I told Haowen to keep an eye on his younger brother so I could go to the restroom, but when I came back, Ziyu was gone.”

Luhan tightened his lips, “What about Haowen?”

The father of the two knew that Haowen was the more responsible of the two and would often have to keep his younger brother in check. 

“Haowen was simply sitting there, playing with the sand.” Baekhyun gripped his hands on the fabric even harder, “I didn’t know what to do, so I put Haowen in Chanyeol’s hands and ran over here.”

“Haowen isn’t the type to simply slack off.”

Baekhyun nodded in agreement, “That’s why I left Ziyu in his care.” He softly chuckled, “That boy really knows how to handle things that a small child needn’t worry about.”

“Baekhyun.” commanded Luhan, “Do go take a break from stressing yourself out, alright? I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to find Ziyu by myself, let’s go call a cab and pick Haowen up. You should go home and take a break, you’re pregnant.”

“But-”

“Don’t worry about anything, Baekie. It wasn’t your fault.”

“Luhan-”

“It’s about time I stop relying on you and Kyungsoo so much. I’ve become such a burden.”

Baekhyun shook his head, “You aren’t a burden at all, Lulu. Kyungsoo and I love the twins like family.”

-

“Drive safely!” called Haowen as soon as he saw Luhan and Baekhyun enter the room. He knew that his father was there to pick him up, knowing that Ziyu had gone missing.

Chanyeol worriedly left Ziyu’s side to take the side of his lover, “Call me.” called Baekhyun.

“Haowen. Where’s Ziyu?” asked Luhan quickly trying to get to the point, his annoyance and worry were heavy in the way he was speaking.

“Ziyu.. isn’t here.”

“Haowen, listen to me carefully, where is your younger brother?”

Haowen didn’t answer. Luhan sighed, his older child could be an idiotically stubborn one.

“Haowen. I’m being very serious right now. You run away first and now it’s Ziyu. Have you two been planning something?”

Haowen looked down.

“I’m sorry, Baba. I promised Ziyu I wouldn’t tell you. We planned this out for days.”

Luhan frowned and looked up at the stars, “Haowen.” Luhan rubbed his temples in frustration. “Your brother is lost. What if he gets kidnapped on the streets?”

The father pulled his son in for a hug, “Please, Haowen. You’re a smart boy especially for your age, but Ziyu is a baby compared to you. I love you both very much.”

Haowen shook his head, “I-I can’t, Baba.”

Luhan tightened his hug even harder.

“Ziyu made me promise. I can’t break pinky promises.”

Luhan smiled softly even in the dark situation. “I promise I won’t tell Ziyu. If you whisper it in my ear, Ziyu will never know.”

Haowen widened his eyes, then squinted them, “Are you sure, Baba? I don’t think that’s how pinky promises work.”

Luhan winked, “I’ve been making them since I was your age.”

Haowen sighed and raised his pinky, short and stubby. “Let’s make a pinky promise as well.”

Luhan gently smiled, raising his pinky as well. 

“Pinky promise to never tell Ziyu of what I am going to tell you.”

They shook on it.

“Ziyu is with Sehun... appa.”

Luhan visibly cringed. “Why.. Why is Ziyu with him?”

“Ziyu wanted to visit.. appa. After hearing what happened with appa and I, Ziyu wanted to see him.”

Luhan patted Haowen’s head, standing up from his formerly squatting position. 

“Let’s go get your brother.”

“Baba.. let him have his time.”

“What..?”

“It’s his appa.”

Authors Note: I hope you will enjoy this update. What do you think will happen with Ziyu and his appa?