Promise

Death Brought Me You


I had fallen asleep in the treehouse that day. I woke up to the sound of someone's footsteps. Their footsteps became louder with every step they took. I opened my eyes, only to be greeted with by my brother and his idiotic smile.

"What are you doing here, Oppa? Shouldn't you be at school right now?" I asked sleepily.

My brother frowned and pouted playfully. "That's the first thing you say to your brother who skipped school for you?"

I closed my eyes again and grinned, "I bet you just didn't want to go to school today." Then I faked a sigh. "Now who will teach me today's lessons?"

"Don't worry because this beloved brother of yours is a genius," he smirked back in reply, "you won't be missing out on much."

I was wide awake by then and laughed. My brother was being quite cocky this morning, it was unusual, yet amusing all at the same time. "Is that so?"

"It is," he replied as he took a seat next to me.

A moment of silence passed by before my brother started talking again.

"Yah, Ma Ri," he started, "Do you know what today is?"

I hummed thoughtfully. I didn't remember anything special happening that day so I shook my head.

"Then close your eyes and don't open them until I say so, got that?"

I hummed again in reply. My brother was planning something, he had been for a while now. He came home later than usual and seemed more tired lately. Unfortunately, I only knew that much since I wasn't allowed to go into the city. (Oh, and if I forgot to tell you guys, my family and I lived in the country side of the kingdom.)

I felt something cold go around my neck, but I kept my eyes closed. I trusted my brother's words. 

"Okay, open your eyes now."

I followed my brother's orders and opened my eyes. My brother was holding a mirror in front me. 

It was a necklace. A really pretty, expensive looking necklace. It was silver with a small piece of a heart hanging in the middle. I'm not going to lie, my jaw did drop when I saw it. Too other people, it might have looked cheap and plain, but to me, it meant the world and more. 

My brother put the mirror in his other hand and went behind me. "I have the other piece of the heart to complete yours." In his hands was the exact same necklace but with the other heart piece.

I could feel tears b my eyes as I covered my mouth. My brother was honestly too much (and maybe a tad cheesy, but that's for another time). I didn't even know the occasion, but it must have meant a lot to my brother for him to do something like this.

"Do you like it?" He asked.

I nodded my head, tears running down my cheeks. I was speechless, unable to say anything to him.

My brother bit his lip as he smiled. "Happy 10th birthday Ma Ri!"

That was when my eyes widened. I had completely forgotten about my birthday. I was too busy studying to even remember my birthday. I was dumbfounded. 

My brother and I have never really celebrated our birthdays because they cost money that we just don't have. Especially my birthday since it was on December 24, Christmas Eve. Heck, we don't even celebrate Christmas! 

"I bet you forgot huh?" interrupted my brother. "Do you like it?"

I nodded my head for both questions before asking mine. "Where did you even get the money? How much did this cost? And why didn't you just give it to me tomorrow? Tomorrow is Christmas!"

My brother simply laughed. His eyes seemed to be smiling. "Slow down with the questions!" 

I blushed, embarrassed that I asked so many questions at one time.

"I got a part-time job in the city to help me pay for the necklace. The necklace itself was kinda pricey, but you know, anything for my little sister! Plus, today is your tenth birthday. You are finally entering the double-digits so I wanted to make sure that you are especially happy today," he answered proudly. "So are you happy?"

I hugged my brother tightly, "I'm more than happy. Thank you so much, Oppa!"

My brother pat my head. "I'm only eleven right now, but in a few years, I'll take you away from this place. I'll protect you from everything. Trust this oppa of yours, okay? We'll be forever together like it says on the necklace. Never lose that necklace of yours, it's proof of our promise."

I buried my head in your chest and listened to your words. My brother was only eleven, but he worked harder than anyone. He was more responsible than anyone. He was more caring than anyone. He was my older brother, my oppa, and my hero. I was proud of him.

 


But did you know, Oppa? I was really happy that you gave me that necklace and made me that promise. I was happier than I had ever been in my entire life.

Maybe my happiness was what blinded me.

Maybe I had put too much faith in you.

I was so happy that day.

Why did you have to ruin it?

Did you know, Oppa? 

Did you figure out that I was doing things behind your back?

Is that why you rushed?

Is that why you made me so happy that day?

 


Because the next day, you disappeared.

You, my oppa, my brother, my hero, disappeared from my sight.

And did you know? The you disappeared Christmas Day.