The Past

Death Brought Me You

Special thanks to SHINee_lover092391 for her supportive comment! 


Chapter 1 The Past

My brother and I didn't have a lot. It wasn't that we were poor, it was the fact that our parents were the kingdom's leading scientists. They were so obsessed with science that they ended up neglecting us. 

My brother practically raised me as his own child at the age of 8. It's ridiculous to have to think how responsible my brother had to be. My brother wasn't only responsible, oh no, he was a genius, too. 

He could do anything he set his mind to. Anything except convince our parents to let me go to school. I didn't know why at the time, but my brother was scared when they said that they wouldn't let me go. He would always make me stay in a treehouse that he had built. It was actually pretty big for an 8-year-old to have built, but it was also far away from our parents' lab. My brother would teach me everything his teacher said and wrote in an easy way to understand. 

My brother was ideal. He was the kind of brother everyone wished they had. He was kind, caring, patient, smart, and the list goes on and on. My brother did a lot for me. Too much actually. We were only two years apart, yet he had done so much more for me than I could ever do for him. Even though I knew that he had done it out of love and didn't expect anything back, I couldn't help but feel indebted to him. I knew he wanted to write songs and preform for people, but didn't spend too much time on his dream. It was hard for my brother, but I was unable to do anything for him. I could only watch.

A Year Later...

I don't know when it started, but I began staying up late. I would leave my room and spy on my brother. It was wrong, I know, especially when he worked so hard. But I felt that I was required to do it. I wanted, no needed, to see what he did when I wasn't looking.

Then it finally happened, I saw a different side of my brother that he never wanted me to see. He was sitting at his desk with a bunch of crumpled pieces of paper around him. His black hair was a completely disheveled, unlike his usual neatly combed style. Under the light of the lamp, his eye bags made him look like a panda. That wasn't even the worst part, oh no, the worst part was that he had cuts and bruises all over his arms and legs. I never noticed them before since he wore long sleeves and pants as part of his school uniform. 

This was the complete opposite of what I was used to. I could feel something inside me just . . . break. I don't remember what broke inside of me, but it may have been the image of my perfect brother that I had always held. 

I thought we were close, closer than even the most trusting couple. I guess I was wrong, but don't get me wrong, I knew he was just concerned about my well being. But you know, I would have felt better if he had just told me he was having a hard time. God, I must sound so conceited and cliché right now huh?

Then I thought, what would it change? 

Even our neglecting parents would pay attention and stop us if I tried to attend school, so he would still be burdened with teaching me. Plus, I can't ask him to stop working on his dream, and knowing him, he couldn't just stop taking care of me. He would be brought down with guilt if I fell ill or died. His life was hard either way, so what would it change if he told me?

Nothing.

It would change nothing, and maybe that's what hurt the most. Either way, I could only watch him suffer. 

My heart hurt.

So then I thought to myself, since it didn't matter, I should just act.

Maybe this is where I got my acting skills from. Acting like an innocent younger sister that was oblivious to whatever was happening around her every day after that incident. But I didn't just act, I also continued to spy on my brother and whatever he did. 

God, I sound like a stalker, but I did have good intentions, I swear. 

I also studied began studying everything in my brother's text books that he brought home. I forced myself to learn all the lessons, no matter how difficult it was. I learned different languages like English, Mandarin Chinese, etc. 

My brother never found out about my personal study lessons since he had to attend school, but if he ever found out, he would definitely get mad with me. Funny thing actually, I was excited to see my brother get upset. He never raised his voice against me, so it would be a new side to discover. 

Another Year Later . . .

By the age of 10, I was almost a perfect secret agent. My acting had no flaws, I knew more languages than I could count, I could crack codes, I could hack into even the most difficult places, and even my own brother didn't know anything about this. I was almost there. Almost. 

I had a weak heart and frail body. I can't even run. I have to walk. It was one of the reasons why my brother took such good care of me. Even a fever could have killed me. My heart and body were the only things I couldn't train that my brother wouldn't notice. 

I did everything I possibly could to lighten the burden on my brother. It worked too. He didn't have to spend so much time correcting my work and answering my questions. I saw him working on songs at night with a smile on his face and felt like, slowly but surely, I was repaying my debt towards him.


 

Thanks you to those who read this chapter. I did not proofread this so if there are any mistakes please tell me. Also please tell me if you guys want longer or shorter chapters!

~Moozie