Accepting Ahjusshi (er, WooHyun)

I (Adore) Despise You

My eyes widened when I saw the stranger’s face clearly for the first time.

Drunken ahjusshi?!I thought.

“Who are you?!” I asked, warily.

He smiled and told me, “I’m Nam WooHyun, your fiancé.”

My eyes bulged out and I nearly got up to run away from him. This guy is my fiancé?! The drunk ahjusshi from before is my fiancé?! No way…

“You’re my fiancé?!” I asked, refusing to accept the truth. He nodded and said, “Yup. That would be me.”

He straightened up and offered me a hand. I looked at it as if it was some sort of object from outer space. I looked back and forth from his hand and at his face.

“Come on, take it,” he said. “I won’t bite.”

I was shocked enough to take his outstretched hand. He helped me up and I dusted my clothes. I glanced at him and he approached me and put his arms around me. He hugged me tightly and whispered, “Are you okay now?”

My eyes widened and I froze. Why is this guy giving me a hug?! Doesn’t he know who I am? Oh, right. I was wearing my disguise. I just nodded as an answer to his sudden question. He pulled away and studied my face. “We should go back now. Everyone is waiting for us.” he reminded me.

He looked at me and asked, “Is it okay if I talk comfortably? I’m an oppa, after all.”

I just nodded. Why didn’t I realize it earlier? Appa showed me a picture too… That was when I snapped at appa. That’s the reason why he’s in the hospital now. Tears welled up in my eyes as the events flashed through my mind.

“Don’t cry, SooJi-ah,” WooHyun-sshi said gently. He wiped the tears away and grabbed my hand. “Let’s go.”

He pulled me across the street and I wondered why this guy is so kind. Is this how he makes girls fall in love with him? I can’t fall for this act. I shook my head and followed him into the hospital.

 

Author’s POV

The two headed towards the room the nurse had directed them to. WooHyun knocked gently and opened the door. SooJi pulled away from him and ran to her father’s bedside. She placed an arm around her mother’s shoulder and patted her sister’s back. WooHyun could see her trying to hold her tears back. He knew she was trying to be strong for her family's sake.

That’s when WooHyun felt something tug in his heart. He watched the family comforting each other and went to stand beside his older brother. “Hyung.” he said as he approached his family.

BooHyun looked at WooHyun and whispered, “They will be your family soon, WooHyun-ah. Take care of them well.” WooHyun nodded and went to give their mother a hug.

“Auntie,” WooHyun whispered. Although it had been a long time since he started calling his parents ‘Aunt’ and ‘Uncle’ instead of ‘Mom’ and ‘Dad’, it still pained him.

It hurt him having to call his own parents ‘Aunt’ and ‘Uncle’. He wanted to say the words ‘Umma’ and ‘Appa’ but he knew he wasn’t supposed to call them that.

He gave his own mother a hug who held him tightly in her arms. “I missed you, WooHyun-ah,” she whispered, sadness in her voice.

“I missed you too,” he whispered back.

He pulled away and told his family, “I’ll go get some drinks.”

“You want me to accompany you?” BooHyun offered. WooHyun shook his head and left. Once outside, however, he sat down on a bench and put his head in hands. He let out his tears. He had missed his family and he couldn’t deny that fact. He envied most people who were accepted into their own families. He felt pity for the Han family and for his future wife. He knew that SooJi was feeling guilty about her father’s condition. He thought that it was probably because of the arranged marriage.

He decided that he wouldn’t force it on SooJi. If she doesn’t want to get married to him, then he would tell his parents that he wasn’t going to be a part of it. He was willing to let SooJi go. He got up and headed to the vending machine and got a couple of drinks.

WooHyun headed back into the room. When he opened the door, he heard a plaintive voice say, “I accept my father’s offer. I will marry Nam WooHyun.”