A Typical Day Before I Met You

I (Adore) Despise You

 

BoA – Ordinary Day [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXM2O4teTc0&feature=related]

Author’s POV

Han SooJi and Nam WooHyun… They are children of senators and they are both seen as perfect people and are both ideal types of citizens all over Korea. Here is how they lived their lives before the strings of their lives became entangled with one another…

----------

SooJi’s POV

“Omo, it’s Han SooJi!” “She’s so pretty, as usual.” “She’s so perfect.”

Whispers filled the air as I headed to the location of our photo shoot. I walked with my bodyguard (hired by my dad), my manager and the stylists surrounding me. Although some people might think that I’m used to the whispers and stares, the truth is, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get used to that. All the attention made me feel awkward and out of place. I walked towards the elevator and stood in line to wait. However, when the elevator doors opened, no one walked towards it or even spared it a glance. My bodyguard led me towards the elevator. It’s always like this. There is always special treatment. They don’t even know whether I want it or not.

I entered the studio and greeted all the photographers and the staff. I then got ready for our photo shoot. To be honest, this modeling job is rather tiring. Having 3-4 photo shoots a day doesn’t give me that much freedom. Thankfully, I only have this one photo shoot today.

-After a few hours-

“Okay! Smile a bit! Move a bit to this side! Good!” the photographer exclaimed.

“Okay, that’s enough for the advertisements in this month’s edition of Elle Girl Korea!” the editor yelled.

I got up and started bowing to the staff. “Thank you for your hard work! Thank you!” I said loudly.

I headed to my dressing room to get dressed into more comfortable clothes. I got dressed into a floral dress and headed out with my bodyguard to meet my parents for dinner. “Manager-oppa, I’ll see tomorrow! Bye, unnies!” I yelled at my manager and stylists.

“Bye!” they yelled back.

During the car ride to "Puccini", I tried to get some sleep but I couldn’t fall asleep. I played some games on my iPad instead. Once we arrived there, I felt the fatigue settling in but I brushed it off. I entered the restaurant amidst all the flashes of the cameras and the whispers of “It’s her!” and “She’s here!” With all the cameras and reporters, people would think that this is a political meeting, not a family dinner.

I approached my parent’s table and greeted them. “Umma, appa, I’m here.”

“Oh, SooJi-ah, sit down!” my umma exclaimed.

“Where’s SooJin?” I asked, wondering where in the world my sister was.

“She has an exam so she couldn’t come,” my dad said, placing his napkin on his lap.

“Oh, okay.” was all I said.

Our family isn’t what you could exactly call “close”. I’m only warm towards my mom and my sister is more of a daddy’s girl. Our sister relationship isn’t the best, either. We would usually act cold when we meet or if we’re both in a bad mood, we bicker and fight. I try my best to improve our relationship but SooJin never tries. Instead, she distances herself even more.

“The food is here!” my mom exclaimed. My mom had always been the bubbly and cheerful type. She means the world to me. Even though I’m not a daddy’s girl, I love my dad a lot. I always do my best to satisfy my parents and to maintain my perfect daughter image. If not, my cover might get blown.

Throughout the lunch, my parents would just ask me about work. I would keep my answers short and I tried to show that I was having fun. But I was too tired to be able to keep up appearances. Soon after, I excused myself to go home.

“Ahjusshi, let’s go home.” I told the driver. He nodded and brought me home as quickly as he could.

I walked up the stairs to my room and bumped into SooJin. “SooJin-ah, how was your exam?” I asked her in an attempt to be a good unnie.

“It was fine.” she said in a clipped voice.

“Oh, was it hard?” I tried again.

“No.” she replied. “I’m going out.”

“Bye.” I said. She didn’t even bother to reply and just headed to who knows where.

I sighed. We were hopeless. I walked towards my room. I entered it and changed into more comfortable clothes. I jumped onto my king size bed and rolled under the covers. Suddenly the door opened and my mom entered.

“Umma!” I yelped. “Why don’t you ever knock?”

“Sorry about that,” she grinned apologetically. “How’s my baby angel doing?”

“Umma, stop calling me that! I’m already 19 years old!” I whined. “I’m already working and I’m earning money by myself too.”

“Aigoo… Our baby SooJi is trying to grow up so fast…” she cooed, pinching my cheeks.

I groaned and pushed her hand away. “Umma, don’t! It’s embarrassing!”

“Arasso. I’ll stop. Go to sleep now,” she told me.

“Ne~” I answered.

“You have work tomorrow, so rest,” she said. “Good night, my angel.” She kissed my forehead and left the room. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

------

*A/N: This is how WooHyun spends his days.

------

WooHyun’s POV

I woke up on a Saturday morning feeling lonely again. I lived alone in a penthouse, away from my parents and brother. No one was supposed to know that I’m the youngest son of the Nam family. For what reason, I don’t know. I felt so abandoned and unwanted. A lonesome and gloomy aura was always in the house. I ran my hand through my hair and dragged myself to the bathroom.

After washing up, I remembered while eating breakfast that I was supposed to meet up with my brother. I got dressed and ran out of the house, deciding to kill time by roaming around the streets later.

I headed to the usual place where Hyung and I would always meet: Starbucks. I ordered an Americano and waited patiently for my older brother to arrive. I sipped my Americano while looking outside the window and random things. The bell jingled as the door opened. I looked up and saw my older brother walking towards me. “Hyung!” I said, holding up my hand to receive a high-five.

He high-fived me and said, “WooHyun-ah! What’s up? How are you doing?”

“I’m fine. How are Aunt and Uncle?” I choked out the words. My brother looked at me with sadness and pain. “They’re good. Mom’s been asking how you’re doing.”

“Tell Aunt I’m doing fine,” I said.

“I will,” he said. “Why don’t you ever come to visit? Mom misses you.”

“Hyung… You know Uncle doesn’t want me to be there. He doesn’t want anything revealed and he hates me,” I said bitterly. “He only sees you. He doesn’t need me there.”

My brother opened his mouth to contradict me but at that moment, his phone rang. He looked at me apologetically. “Wait a minute, dongsaeng. I have to answer this call.”

I nodded. “Go ahead.”

“Hello?” he said into the phone. I heard a female voice reply. It’s his fiancée. He talked on the phone for a few minutes and then hung up.

“WooHyun-ah, I’m sorry but I have to go now,” he told me. “I have an appointment.”

“It’s your fiancée, isn’t it?” I guessed.

“How did you know?” he asked, surprised.

“Yeah, well, she’s the only person apart from appa who can make you this anxious to leave,” I joked.

“Mianhae,” he said. “Do you want to come?”

I never know my hyung was this naïve. He was actually inviting me to come with him to his date with his fiancée. Is he crazy? Who wants to be a third-wheel?

“It’s fine. Just go.” I told him.

He quickly left and I decided to go too. I quickly finished my drink and left. I went to my car and I was thinking on where to go. I had been driving around randomly when I saw a beautiful girl pass by. The first word I thought of to describe her was beautiful. But then, I decided to brush that off.

Although it was still early, I decided to go to my haven: the bar. I ordered beer and started drinking. I tried to fill up the empty space in my heart by flirting with random girls. I tried to forget my situation and my longing for my mom by gulping down liquor. After a few hours, I came home a bit drunk.

As I slumped onto my bed, I asked myself, “Why do I have to live like this? Why can’t I be like BooHyun hyung? Why can’t I be happy no matter what I do?”

Tears started to flow. “I don’t want this. I don’t want to live like this anymore.”

I prayed to God, “Please give me someone who can change me and can bring happiness to my life. I’m begging you.”