Comforting A Stranger

I (Adore) Despise You

News Alert: Senator Han has been rushed to the hospital this afternoon after having a heart attack. Hospital officials released a statement saying that he is still in a critical condition and it might be hard for him to recover.

SooJi’s POV

I ran like crazy to the hospital. Tears started forming in my eyes and blurred my sight. I ignored the fact that I was wearing 3 inch stilettos and just ran as fast as I could. I ran into the hospital and went straight to the reception.

“Senator. Han.” I panted.

“He’s still in the operating room, miss. Are you a relative?” the nurse asked.

I nodded and looked at her. She gasped and stammered, “H-Han S-SooJi.”

She led the way to the operating room. I bowed and ran to my mother’s side. SooJin was nowhere in sight. I was angered by the fact that she wasn’t here. She was probably shopping without any idea of what had happened. My mom sobbed and I tried to comfort her but I could tell I wasn’t doing a good job.

My own tears sped down my face, not giving me any chance to dry them. I gulped down my sobs as the doctor exited from the operating room. “Where are the relatives of Mr. Han?”

I stood up and told my mom to stay sitting down. She only nodded. I approached the doctor and started bombarding him with my anxious questions.

“Is my appa okay? Does he need a heart transplant? Is recovery possible? When will he wake up? May I see him?”

“Miss Han, I’m very sorry. We cannot let you visit him right now. He has been stressed lately and he has been fatigued due to his work. We still need to conduct some tests on him, to check if he has any illnesses we haven’t detected. About the heart transplant…” he trailed off.

“Does he need one? Please… Please take mine. I’m the cause of his heart attack. I’m going to take all the blame. Let me be the one to heal him…” I begged him.

“We still don’t know, Miss Han. We have to wait a few more days. I’m so sorry.” he bowed and left.

At that moment, SooJin came running in. Tears running down her face. “What happened? What happened to my appa?” she asked. “Umma. Answer me. What happened to appa?”

“SooJin-ah, stay here for a while. I… I need to go…” I whispered. I left my family there and started walking out.

Appa, andwae. You can’t leave me. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean all those words I said back then. I was just really tired and frustrated lately that I ended up yelling at you. I… I blame myself for getting you into that state. I’m never going to forgive myself if you die. It hurts my heart, knowing that you’re in that condition. I’m so sorry, I thought. Oh, please, God… Don’t let my appa die. He doesn’t deserve to be like this. Please don’t take him away from me. I’m begging you.

 

WooHyun’s POV

My family and I ran towards the Operating Room where the Han family would be waiting for Mr. Han to come out. I passed by a crying girl but stopped in my tracks when I saw that it was SooJi. Her eyes were red and her makeup was smeared. She looked extremely vulnerable. She was walking blindly, not even bothering to check where she was heading.

“SooJi …” I whispered.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. BooHyun hyung was looking at me with these knowing eyes. “Knowing SooJi, she probably needs someone to comfort her right now. I may be her childhood friend but, you’ll be her husband soon. So, go.”

“But, hyung, I don’t even know her,” I protested.

“At this point, SooJi won’t even notice that you’re a stranger. She needs someone to help her.” he told me. “Just go, WooHyun-ah.”

“Okay. I’ll do my best, hyung.”

I ran after SooJi. When I finally found her, she was standing in the middle of the pedestrian crossing. The green light was blinking. I ran towards her and grabbed her arm. I pulled her to the other side of the street. She collapsed onto the asphalt while I placed my hands on my knees, panting.

“Yah! Are you crazy?” I yelled. “Are you trying to kill yourself?!”

She looked up at me with her eyes, which were filled with pain and guilt. “Appa…” she whispered. She suddenly started to sob.

I didn’t know what to do. So I just put my arms around her and patted her back. “It’s gonna be okay. He’s going to be fine,” I whispered.

She cried onto my chest. I just waited for her to let it all out. After a few minutes, she stopped crying and pulled away. She wiped her tears with her hand. I grabbed her wrist and handed her my white handkerchief.

“Here, use this.” I told her. She looked at it before taking it and saying, “Thank you.”

I helped her up and said, “We should go back to your dad.”

She looked at me and her eyes widened. “Who are you?!”

“I’m Nam WooHyun, your fiancée.”

 

---------

A/N: Hello, everyone!! I want to introduce the person who started it all: astarisky!! She is our best friend who actually dreamt of this story. This all started with a dream!! With a bit of tweaking and editing (and a lot of new ideas), we decided to make this a fanfic.

Thank you to all the readers and subscribers!! You have no idea how happy it makes us when we get more views or subscribers!! Kamshamnida!!!

~krystalline14