My Dad’s Reasons

I (Adore) Despise You

 

SooJi’s POV

My mother glared at my dad before towing me out of the study. She led me to my room. “Get dressed for bed, SooJi-ah,” my mom told me.

I got dressed out of my dress into my comfy pajamas. I removed all the makeup and washed my face. When I got out of the bathroom, my mom was sitting on my bed, holding a brush. She smiled at me and beckoned to me as if to say ‘Come here.’

I sat on my bed, in front of my umma. She started brushing my hair. “I’m sorry about your appa. He had betrothed you to his best friend’s nephew. They were still in college at that time. They were like brothers and so he promised you to his best friend.”

“So now I have to get married to BooHyun oppa’s cousin?” I asked, turning back to look at my mom. She nodded and said, “Don’t worry, WooHyun is a really good person. He has a history of being a playboy but that will go away when you get married. Hopefully.”

I turned around and snorted. “Once a playboy, always a playboy,” I muttered.

“Aigoo. This girl. Why do you hate WooHyun so much? I know he likes you.” My mom told me.

“But, I don’t even know him that well. I’ve never even met him!” I grumbled.

“You have met him. When you were both kids,” my mom said in an attempt to get out of this subject. “You’ll get to know him better.”

“When? After we get married? That’s absurd, umma. Just absolutely ridiculous.”

My mom sighed and put down the brush. I lied down and placed my head on her lap. “Listen to me, SooJi-ah.” she began my hair.

“I was also in an arranged marriage with your dad. At first, I hated his guts and wanted to get a divorce with him as soon as I receive my inheritance. That was my plan. But during the time we spent together before we got married, I began to think that maybe, he wasn’t such a bad person. I tried to see everything in the best possible light. After we got married, I fell in love with your appa. I’ve loved him since then and I still do.”

She paused then continued. “But your appa is still bitter. He never wanted to marry me, I guess. Because of the arranged marriage, he had to break up with his girlfriend. Your appa had big dreams. To achieve those dreams, he had to marry me. But whenever he sees you girls, I’m sure he thinks of what it could have been if he married his girlfriend.”

“If he hated being in an arranged marriage so much and wants to go back to his true love so much, why is he forcing this on me?” I asked. I saw the look on my mom’s face. It was pure sadness. It was the look of someone who knows that they’ll never be loved by the one they love the most.

“I… I think it’s because of the promise he made with his best friend. You can’t get engaged with BooHyun because he’s already engaged. WooHyun is the only person left who is still eligible to get married,” my umma explained.

I grabbed a pillow and covered my face with it. “Argh. I hate this.”

“I know it seems like such a horrible idea but think it through,” my mom said. “But for now, you should get some sleep.”

She stood up and I sat up and got under my covers. “Aigoo, our 19 year old daughter is still a baby.” She cooed. She kissed my forehead and left.

“Good night, umma!” I yelled.

After ten minutes, I opened my eyes. Ugh, I can’t sleep. I need to get up and move around. I need to let out what I feel, I thought.

I sat up and grabbed my phone from my bedside. I punched in a number and held it to my ear.

“Hello, boss?”A voice answered.

“HyunShik-ah, call the others. I’m feeling riled up right now. Let’s go out.” I said into the phone.

“Okay, SooJi-nim. We’ll meet you in the usual place.” He replied.

“Okay then. See you.” I said and closed my phone. I got out of my bed and locked my bedroom doors. No one would be coming in at night but just in case.