Family Dinner's Hidden Motive

I (Adore) Despise You

Author’s POV

A few days after SooJi's angry outburst, she was still cold and mad towards WooHyun. Since they were never really friendly towards each other, no one really took any notice of that. But two people did: WooHyun and SooJin. 

WooHyun was also confused about why he was so pissed and annoyed by the memory of SooJi being so cuddly with that male model. He didn't know that he actually liked her for real. He only thought that he liked her since she was interesting and hard-to-get. He noticed that SooJi always shot him glares and when he looked away, she would usually be sending imaginary daggers his way. More than usual, anyway. 

SooJin, however, noticed the silent war between the two. She could see that SooJi was really mad about something yet she doesn't know why she's so mad. WooHyun was also clueless about why SooJi was angry at him. SooJin always thought that the two were naive and thick. 

Yet, she was so determined to bring the two closer together. So she used some of her matchmaking skills and prepared a plan to make them at least friends. She called Mrs. Nam and arranged a dinner with both families. She also told Mrs. Nam about her plan to leave the two to have some time together. Mrs. Nam happily agreed.

2 months before the wedding, SooJin called both families to the hotel. She had made reservations and arranged that they have dinner in a private room. Everyone from the Nam and Han family came knowing about the plan, except SooJi and WooHyun. As soon as everyone got settled down, Mr. Han and Mr. Nam immediately started talking about politics while the wives talked about business and shopping. SooJin striked up a conversation with BooHyun. She asked him about his fiancee and other random stuff.

SooJi and WooHyun were left sitting in silence. They couldn't really do anything else since the food wasn't ready yet and they both had no one else to talk to. Being the determined one, WooHyun tried to engage SooJi in conversation. 

"SooJi-ah, how are you?" He asked with a smile.

SooJi didn't even look at him and just replied coldly, "Fine."

"How is work?" He asked.

"Good." she replied thinly.

"Are you ready for the wedding?" He inquired, silently praying in his head that she answer with more than one syllable. His face fell when she replied, "Yes."

He finally snapped and asked her, "Why are you so cold to me?"

This time she answered with more than one syllable, "Who knows."

WooHyun was already rejoicing since she answered with two words. But he kept on pestering her about why she was so cold towards him. SooJi glared at him and said, "You should try to protect your image more. Try not to go to bars so often."

WooHyun looked taken aback. Thankfully, the food came and his attention was diverted. During the meal, everyone could feel the cold atmosphere between the two. SooJin gave them the signal and everyone started talking loudly again. 

WooHyun didn't try to talk to SooJi this time, though. They both ate in silence and just concentrated on eating their food. SooJin noticed this and panicked. When she was sure that the two couldn't see her, she got the attention of the adults and BooHyun and she mimed eating faster and leaving using her hands. Thankfully, they all understood and started eating, no, inhaling their food. Soon everyone except SooJi and WooHyun had finished. SooJin had eaten so fast that she choked quite a number of times. BooHyun was close to having indigestion. 

Mr. Han cleared his throat and everyone looked up, including SooJi and WooHyun. The two seemed surprised to see everyone finished eating. Mr. Han looked at Mr. Nam and said, "Let's go for a walk and talk about our future Senate meeting." The latter nodded and they both left.

"YoonHa, let's go shopping," Mrs. Nam invited Mrs. Han. "I have some new pieces that came from U.S. this morning." Mrs. Han agreed and she winked at SooJin before leaving.

"Since you two aren't done eating yet, we'll go," BooHyun said casually.

"BooHyun oppa is going to introduce me to his fiancee!" SooJin said excitedly.

"I'll go with you," WooHyun and SooJi said at the same time. They looked at each other.

"No!" SooJin said loudly. They looked at her surprised. She cleared , turning red and said, "You should finish your meal."

BooHyun and SooJin hurriedly left. WooHyun glanced at SooJi as they both sat in silence. She stood up and said,"I'm done. I'm going home. Please finish your food and don't worry about the bill."

She headed towards the door and was about to turn the knob when a hand closed on her wrist. She looked at WooHyun coldly who burst out, "Why do you hate me so much?!"

"I'd rather you realize it by yourself," SooJi said, glaring daggers at him.

"What? Why can't you explain? What have I done wrong?" WooHyun asked angrily. "Is it about me going to bars? How'd you even know about that?!"

He took a deep breath and shot her a look. "What about you, huh? Cuddling with models when you're engaged?!"

SooJi pulled her wrist away and yelled sarcastically, "Well, I'm sorry for doing my job! At least, I don't flirt with random guys who come up to me in a bar! I don't even go to bars!"

 "WHAT?!" WooHyun yelped, his eyes threatening to pop out of their sockets. SooJi shot him one last glare and stomped out of the room, banging the door behind her. WooHyun stood their looking dumbfounded. What just happened?! he asked himself.