News

I (Adore) Despise You

WooHyun’s POV

As soon as I found our car, the rain stopped. Oh great. Now it stops. SooJi had fallen asleep on my back. I placed her on the passenger’s seat of my car, not caring whether it got wet. I took some warm blankets which were in my trunk and placed it over her.

“Yah, don’t get sick, okay?” I muttered to her sleeping figure.

I drove to the Han residence as quickly as I could. As soon as I arrived, I carried SooJi out of the car and rang the doorbell. The butler opened it and he gaped at SooJi sleeping (not to mention, wet) figure.

“Quickly prepare some dry clothes for Miss SooJi!” he yelled to the maids passing by. He glanced at me. “And some towels for Mr. WooHyun!” They rushed off to prepare the items while the butler led me to SooJi’s room. I gently dropped SooJi onto the bed and told the maids about her ankle injury. They assured me that they will take care of SooJi and asked me to leave. I thanked the maid for the towel she offered and quickly left the room to return downstairs.

SooJin ran towards me as soon as she saw me coming down the stairs. “Oppa! What happened? Why are you so wet? Is unnie okay? Did she faint from the cold or something?”

“We were stuck in the rain and I had to carry her to the car since she twisted her ankle. She didn’t faint. She fell asleep,” I told her. “I think.”

“Oh,” SooJin said quietly. She bowed and said, “Thank you for taking care of my unnie. Thank you so much!”

“Your welcome, SooJin-sshi,” I said. “She was my responsibility since I was the one who brought her to Hongdae.”

“You went to Hongdae?” she asked, sounding surprised.

“Yeah. Is there something wrong with that?” I asked curiously.

“No. It’s just that unnie always wanted to go to Hongdae with her boyfriend or her husband,” SooJin said, tapping her chin with her finger. My jaw dropped. Then why did that girl ask to go to Hongdae if it was just me? I wondered.

“But then again, you’re going to be her husband soon,” SooJin continued. “She probably wanted to go there before you guys get married.” Oh right. I suddenly remembered. I forgot that she was my fiancée. I felt as if she was an old friend during the time we spent together. I snapped out of my daze and quickly excused myself. I left the mansion and went home. It had been quite a fun day.

Author’s POV

Unknown to both WooHyun and SooJi, a man had been following them and taking shots of the two of them together. He quickly viewed the pictures through his professional camera: a photo of them having lunch, the two of them trying on the headbands, SooJi chasing WooHyun through Hongdae, WooHyun giving SooJi a backhug, SooJi sitting on a park bench, WooHyun buying dukbokki, the little kid pointing at the ‘beggar couple’, the two of them playing in the rain and WooHyun carrying SooJi to the car.

Pictures of WooHyun carrying SooJi to the mansion’s door, WooHyun entering the mansion and WooHyun leaving the the estate had also been shot. The mysterious man dialed a number on his phone and said to the person on the other line, “Reporter Kim, I have some news for you. They’ll make the headlines for tomorrow’s news. I’ll see you later.”

 

-The Next Day-

SooJi woke up feeling refreshed. She sat up and looked around. How did I get home? she thought. Oh yeah, WooHyun-sshi brought me home.

She took a shower and went down for breakfast. She immediately noticed the silence when she entered the dining hall. She took a seat and said, “Good morning, umma.”

Her umma had a stony expression on her face as she handed SooJi today’s newspapers. She took it and her eyes widened as she looked at the headlines of each newspaper.

Han SooJi’s fiancé is Nam WooHyun?

Nam WooHyun and Han SooJi: The Secret Couple?

Soon-to-be-married: Nam WooHyun and Han SooJi

Nam WooHyun and Han SooJi: A Date in Hongdae?

“How…” SooJi whispered, shocked.

“Now, the wedding isn’t secret anymore,” SooJin told her. “It’s been revealed to the public. We still don’t know who took these pictures but we’ll find out.”

“Can’t we say that the wedding will be private?” SooJi asked worriedly.

“No,” Mrs. Nam said quietly. Then her eyes brightened. “It’ll be better if it’s public. It’s means a much bigger wedding!” she said, excitedly. She clapped her hands together and walked out the room.

“Umma!” SooJi groaned.

SooJin shook her head. “Our umma is so unpredictable.”

The phone rang. The maid picked it up and said a few words. Then she approached the sisters. She bowed lightly before saying, “Miss SooJi, Miss SooJin, the hospital called. They said that your father is awake.”

The two immediately told their mother and they all hurriedly went to the hospital. The Nam family (+ WooHyun) were also informed and they promised to be there. SooJi nervously walked into her father’s suite after her mother and sister. He looked up and said, “SooJi-ah… I heard all about it.”

SooJi lowered her eyes, which were filled with tears, and SooJin patted her back comfortingly. “Dad, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for that day. Please forgive me.”

“There’s nothing to forgive, child,” he said affectionately. “It’s me who should apologize.”

SooJi looked up, surprised. “What?”

“I shouldn’t have forced you into that marriage,” Senator Han said. “But you have accepted something you did not want because of me too.”

“It was my decision, appa,” SooJi said, trying to lessen her father’s guilt. “It wasn’t your fault I just thought things through and I decided that maybe you were right.”

“But I was not right,” her appa told her. “It was the wrong decision on my behalf. I’m sorry.”

“No, appa,” SooJi said, remembering her time with WooHyun. “I’ll give this marriage thing a try. Maybe it won’t be so bad.”

She smiled and gave her father a hug. The father and daughter reconciled. “But, appa, you have to promise me something.”

“Anything. You can ask for anything,” he replied.

“You have to walk me down the aisle,” she told him. “Recover quickly, okay?”

“Arasso. I promise,” he told his daughter with a smile.

“Can I request something too?” SooJin cut in, raising her hand. The others raised their eyebrows.

“What is it, SooJin?” Mr. Han asked.

“Can I buy the new Jimmy Choo shoes?” SooJin asked, giving her puppy eyes. Someone whacked her on the head. She glared at her unnie, who glared back at her.

SooJi whacked SooJin’s flat stomach with every word. “Aigoo. Aigoo. Aigoo. Always a shopaholic. Think of other stuff too!”

"I have a request too!" Mrs. Han said excitedly. Everyone looked at her. "Let me make the wedding public! It will mean a bigger and better wedding!"

SooJi stared at her mothr, open. "Wha-" she began but her father cut her off.

"No need for a bigger wedding. It's better if it's just us," he said firmly. He looked at SooJi, "That's what you want, right?" He winked.

SooJi smiled and nodded.

SooJin frowned at her mother and glared at her sister. "You say I'm a shopaholic but mom's worse than me!" she said accusingly.

"You got all those genes from your mother," Mr. Han said jokingly.

The whole Han family laughed. It was a happy day for them

-----

Outside the door, a man was peeking in. Hearing the family’s laughter, WooHyun shut the door and chuckled to himself. But then, sadness took over.

I wish I could be like that with my family too…he thought sadly.