Arranged Marriage

I (Adore) Despise You

 

SooJi’s POV

I was eating dinner at home with my parents. SooJin had somewhere to go and was once again absent for family dinner. It was quiet and only the sounds of the utensils could be heard. All of a sudden, my dad cleared his throat and spoke.

“SooJi-ah, I need to discuss something with you.” my dad asked, making me look up. “Are you finished eating?”

I looked at my steak, which was only half-eaten. But hearing my father’s solemn voice and the urgency in it made me say “Yes. I’m finished.”

“Let’s go to my study.” He headed towards his study.

I stood up and placed my napkin on the desk. I dusted of my dress and walked towards my dad’s study. He had left the door open and had sat down on his chair. “Close the door when you come in,” he said.

I closed the door gently and stood in front of his desk. I stayed quiet, waiting for him to start speaking.

“SooJi-ah. You’re 19 years old now. You need to get married.” my appa began. I kept silent and waited for him to get to the point. “You should get married to WooHyun as soon as possible.”

“Ne?!” I asked, looking shocked. Is he joking? I thought.

“You heard me.”

“But, appa! Why do I need to marry this guy?! I don’t even know him that well!” I told him. I inwardly groaned. So typical of my appa. Making decisions without even consulting the people involved.

“Don’t worry. You’ll have enough time to get to know him better after you get married.” he replied as if that solved everything.

I stood there shell-shocked. This cannot be happening. No!! How can I get married so early? I’m only 19!! And if I get married, my secret might be exposed and my gang might have to disband. Urgh!!! I tried to think of a way to gently turn down his order. I mean, offer.

“But, appa, I don’t really want to get married yet,” I said, carefully choosing my words. “I’m perfectly fine being single for now, appa.”

I saw his stony face and changed tactics. I tried using the guilt trip on him.

“And, appa, how can you expect me to fall in love with someone so suddenly? And to fall in love just because I’m forced to marry him? That’s something rather impossible you’re trying to ask from me.” I said.

My appa exploded. He slammed his fist on his table with all his strength and yelled, “Yah! Han SooJi! You listen to me! I want you to get married to WooHyun, instead of ending up like your aunt who chose to listen to her heart instead of her brain. Now look what happened to her. She’s living like a rat, penniless and lonely. That guy ran away after he found out she gave up her inheritance to be with him. He only needed her for her money. He never really loved her. Don’t be fooled and don’t fall in love with some random guy, especially if you don’t know anything about their background. There’s no such thing as true love. There’s only fame, money and power in this world. Tsk tsk. True love… It doesn’t exist at all.”

“Yeobo!”The door opened and my umma came in and rushed to my side. She placed her hands on my shoulders, trying to placate me.

I clenched my fist, trying to endure my father’s speech. I wanted so badly to go berserk, go on a rampage and ruin his office but I can’t. I had to just stand there silently and wait for him to let it all out. That’s how a filial child is supposed to act.

“So, do you agree now or not?” He asked me.

“I… I need more time to think,” I told him.

He glared at me but his gaze softened. “SooJi-ah, I know it’s all so sudden and shocking but I’m doing this for you, for your future and for our family’s reputation.”

I didn’t bother replying but I knew that when my dad says ‘for our family’s reputation’ he means his reputation.

“I’m letting you go this time. I’ll give you time to think but you better say ‘yes’ the next time I ask you. Or you’ll end up like your hopeless aunt and you’ll regret it if you say no. I’m giving you only one chance so don’t let it go.”

“I’ll think about it…” I whispered.