Wedding Dress

I (Adore) Despise You

SooJi’s POV

“That’s pretty too. But I don’t think that’s the one,” SooJin told umma. Umma nodded. Mrs. Nam nodded in agreement as well.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Do I have to try on another one?” SooJin and Umma nodded. I groaned and turned around to go try another dress. I had been trying on dresses since 9 A.M. It was already 11:30 A.M. I was starving and tired. This day has been horrible since it started. It all began when SooJin woke me up by splashing my face with water.

-Flashback-

“Unnie, wake up. Wake up!” SooJin shook me roughly. She had just sprinkled my face with water using a water gun.

I opened my eyes and glared at her. She glared right back. “What? It’s Saturday. I have all the rights to sleep in.” I complained.

“You do. But today’s a special day!” SooJin announced. “You can’t sleep in.” She wagged a finger.

“Why is today a special day? What’s happening today?” I asked, curiously. SooJin grabbed all the covers off of me before answering happily, “We’re going to be planning and shopping for your wedding!” She raised her hands and jumped around the room.

“I thought it was going to be a small, private event!” I complained.

“It is. However, you’re still the eldest daughter of Senator Han. Your wedding should still be planned carefully,” she said while pushing me off the bed. I started walking towards the bathroom but stopped in my tracks.

“Wait. Who’s going to be planning it?” I asked warily. I thought about my mom’s connections. “Vera Wang?”

“Nope!” SooJin said innocently. “It will be three people. Umma,  Mrs. Nam and me.”

I made a face. “That’s even worse!” I pointed an accusatory finger towards her and said, “You traitor! I asked you to be my bridesmaid to lessen my suffering! Not to make it worse!”

“Sorry! I couldn’t refuse umma’s offer!” she admitted guiltily. “She told me that I could shop for the wedding!”

I groaned and stomped towards the bathroom, slamming the door behind me.

“We could ask Vera Wang to help if you want!” she yelled after me.

“No thanks!” I yelled back.

-End of Flashback-

The two of them dragged me towards the bridal gown shop to meet Mrs. Nam there. Those three joined are a bride’s nightmare. They weren’t making this wedding thing easier either.

The stylists helped me into my next gown. I prayed with all my heart that this would be the last dress. I wanted to go home, eat lunch and go back to sleep. I turned towards the curtains and took a deep breath. I stepped out and looked at their faces. SooJin looked absolutely delighted. I guess this is it then.

I heard the door open and I turned my head. “Sorry I’m late! I’m really sorry!”

The groom has arrived.

- A couple of hours ago-

WooHyun’s POV

I woke up to my ringing phone. I grabbed it from my side table sleepily and checked the caller ID. Auntie.

“Hello?” I said sleepily. “Auntie, it’s still 7 in the morning.”

“WooHyun-ah,” umma said, a bit too excitedly. “Hurry up and come out. I’ll meet you at the wedding dress shop at 9 A.M., okay?”

“Why?” I muttered. “It’s the bride’s dress, not mine. The ladies should choose it, not the men.”

“Tsk tsk.” my mom said, disapprovingly. “You shouldn’t have this attitude. It’s still you’re wedding.”

I groaned. “But-“

“WooHyun-ah, you should just make yourself useful and help with the wedding preparations,” she told me. “No ‘ifs’, ‘ands’ or ‘buts’. I’ll see you later.” With that, she turned off the call.

I my bed. I placed a pillow on my face. Just a few more minutes, I thought.

~~~~

I woke up a few hours later. I jumped straight out of bed after I realized that I was already 45 minutes late for my appointment with my mom. I checked my phone on my way out. I saw that there were 9 missed calls. All from my mom.

I tried to go straight to the wedding dress shop but in my hurry, I completely forgot to ask where it was actually located. I called my mom to ask her for directions. This time, she isn’t picking up. I sighed.

When she did pick up, I was already lost and stuck in traffic. “Auntie! Where is that bridal shop you were talking about?” I asked frantically.

She gave me the address and told me to hurry. She even scolded me for being late on the first day of wedding preparations. Then she hung up.

I rushed to the address she gave me and hurriedly parked my car. I dashed in, yelling apologies to anyone who would listen. I looked around for SooJi and when I finally saw her, I couldn’t take my eyes off of her.

She looked so beautiful, just like how a goddess would look. She was wearing minimal make-up and her hair was down. The flowing white gown she was wearing looked perfect on her. I tried to speak but my tongue seemed to have disappeared.

I realized I was staring and averted my eyes. I cleared my throat to avoid embarrassment but I couldn’t get the image of her wearing that gown out of my head.

“WooHyun-ah! You came!” Mrs. Han exclaimed.

“Annyeonghaseyo.” I greeted and bowed.

SooJi’s younger sister, SooJin, stood up and approached me. “Oppa, what do you think of this dress? Is it good enough for your wedding?”

“Um, shouldn’t you be asking your sister that?” I said. But in my head, a voice was already screaming at me to say ‘Yes’.

“I want your opinion.” she said simply. “You’re the manager of one of the branches of Elite, aren’t you?”

“Okay. I am the manager but I don’t know-” I looked again at SooJi, who was standing at the raised platform with her eyebrows raised. I cleared my throat and said, “It’s a beautiful dress. It looks good on your sister too.”

I glanced at SooJi out of the corner of my eye. She was blushing. I felt proud of myself. I could make a cold person like Han SooJi blush!

“Okay. We’re taking that dress then.” SooJin said to the employees. They nodded and led SooJi towards the dressing rooms again. I stared after her, trying to get a last look of SooJi wearing the dress. She would be wearing that dress on the day that would change our lives.