How...?

Spouse Exchange

 

 

 

I took his hand into mine and gave it a light shake as I say, “Min Young.”

  “Yunho-ssi,” suddenly the annoying woman said, interrupting my moment with Yunho. She suddenly curls her arm around Yunho and pouts as if introducing himself to me was a bad thing. What about she then, she probably slept with my husband!

  Yunho turned to her and releases my hand. He then looks up to Si Won and me to say, “And this is my wife, Jung Su Yeon.”

  ‘So, he’s married,’ I thought. There goes my plan to payback Si Won with cheating on him with another man. I just looked down to my shoes as Si Won and Yunho discussed of the design of the place.

  Suddenly, Su Yeon says, “Uh Si Won-ssi, I was wondering if we could discuss something for a moment regarding the house.” Yunho was about to follow but she pushes him back and orders, “I’d like some of those finger foods now.”

  He seemed a little frustrated but quickly pushed it aside as he headed to the snacks. I somehow had a feeling he could sense his wife was cheating on him. Now that Si Won was alone with her, why not I have a little chat with him?

  I stood beside him and just tapped my fingers against my glass before asking, “How long have you guys been married?”

  “A few years now,” he answered simply and added, “Hard to believe we still don’t have kids.”

  “Tell me about it,” I said and told him my share, “Five years and we still have gone nowhere.”

  He looked up and asked me, “Seriously?”

  “I tried but,” I let out a sigh and twirled my drink in my glass before saying, “I guess he just, gave up.”

  “What I’d give to have a wife like you,” he said in exasperation. I was a little taken aback. When he realized what he said, “Sorry it’s just . . . Su Yeon doesn’t seem to like the idea of having kids.”

  “How many would you like?” I asked with a smile.

  Yunho said shyly, “If possible . . . twenty-five.”

  I let out a laugh the same time he did and said, “Wow! That’s a lot!”

  Once our laughter died down, he asked, “What about you? How many would you like?”

  “I don’t know,” I answered in a daze. “To actually be able to have one is already a miracle,” I told him and he nodded in agreement.

  “Well, I have to go give Su Yeon these,” he said as he showed the plate of snacks to me. “It’s a pleasure to talk to you,” he said and I smiled.

  I watched him as he walked towards the other room in search of his wife. It felt a little unfair to have a husband so – kind towards you. I turned my attention to the finger food and snatched a piece of grape before stuffing it into my mouth. I ended up scrunching my face up because the grape was too sour and I had to wash the taste away with my champagne.

  The remaining hours of the event was a little drab. I had asked Si Won if I could go but he insisted I stayed until the very end. I would notice Yunho and his wife talking but it had seemed they were pretty much mirroring many of Si Won and my moves. They didn’t seem to be getting along quite well. The tension between just builds and soon, Su Yeon walks away and leaves Yunho alone in frustration.

  I wanted to comfort him but I was a little busy. When Yunho and Su Yeon were close, I would end up staring at Yunho, lose myself in his sharp features, fall for his dashing smile and that laugh was just too adorable. Hard to believe a man so perfect had such a wife unsuited for him.

  I was suddenly pulled out of my daze when my arm was being tugged tighter. It had seemed Si Won had planned to not let me out of his sight. I wonder why. It wasn’t like I would go ahead, run off with another man and cheat on him. He was forgetting the fact that I wasn’t him.

  When the event finally ended, I walked straight to my car and never looked back. Si Won tried to shower me with praise as to how good I was with this event but I couldn’t face him, especially after meeting up with his ‘colleague’.  I was now sure she was the woman I heard on the other end that night. Her annoying nasal voice and how cosy she was with my husband, it all just seemed too visible to the eye. It was to the extent it made me sick.

  When I reached home, I just tossed everything onto the bed, got out of my dress and took a long bath in the tub. It was filled with warm water so it soothed me and washed away all of the tension in my bones. Sadly, it didn’t exactly wash away all of my worries, my feelings . . . my memories.

  It was so easy to remember them, the moment Si Won and I met, our first kiss, the times he told me he loved me and when he proposed. Those good memories stayed in my heart for a long time and now, they meant nothing to him. I was so hurt and sad, I just had to cry. I give everything to this man I loved and married and after five years of it, he just gets tired of it.

  What does a wife do to get her husband back? Especially since it’s too late . . .