I Guess Enough is Just... Enough

Spouse Exchange

 

 

 

As soon as I reached home, I went upstairs to my room and started packing. It was moments later that I heard Si Won come in and rush up the stairs. He burst into our room and was still for a moment as he saw me pack up.

  He came closer and demanded, “What are you doing?”

  “I’m leaving,” was all I said.

  “Stop,” he said at first. Seeing I didn’t stop, he said again in a more firm voice, “Stop!”

  I was still adamant on leaving. There was nothing that was going to make me change my mind. As I close my suitcase, I hauled it by my side and tried to make my way out of the room if only Si Won wasn’t in the way.

  “Get out of my way, Si Won.” I told him without looking up to him.

  “No, I am not letting you go.” Si Won said.

  ‘Oh, so now he wants to hold on to me?’ I thought and just swerved by him but he grabbed my arm. I tried pulling my hand out of his grip but his grip was tight and firm. I guess he too was adamant on making me stay.

  “Let me go.” I said as I struggled to get his hand off of me.

  I was surprised he suddenly pulled me in for an embrace. I tried pushing him away, telling him to get away from me. As I fought with him, the tears fell and I cried harder when I was glued to him. My hands kept hitting him in the chest but they eventually stopped as his arms tightened around me. He repeatedly whispered in my ear, ‘I’m sorry’ and because it sounded so sincere, I just melted.

  I continued to cry into his chest and gripped his shoulders. I would hit him once or twice when he started to pull away but he still didn’t leave my side. Si Won carried me onto the bed and lay me there on my side. He even lay beside me and held me close until I stopped crying.

  I had calmed down and felt like this Si Won with me now, seemed to be the Si Won I’d been yearning for. He was the old Si Won who just knew what to do to lighten up my day. After being quiet for so long, I eventually fell asleep.

  When I woke up, Si Won was no more by my side. I saw my suitcase was by the bed. I sat up and got off of bed. I carried the suitcase and it felt lighter. I lay it down and went to my cupboard where all my clothes had been hung and folded nicely. He had unpacked my clothes for me. I heard the sound of clanking from the kitchen and thought I should check it out.

  I was surprised to find Si Won in an apron, trying to do something with a pan. He was struggling on how to switch the stove on. He then picked up a matchbox and took out a matchstick. I leaned against the wall on my side and watched him as he tried to cook. I couldn’t stand watch anymore as the stove suddenly erupted in flames due to the exceeding amount of gas.

  I pushed Si Won aside and turned the gas low until the flame was a small blue one. I decided to just switch it off completely and crossed my arms at the sight of the stove. When I turned around, Si Won smiled and shrugged.

  I just walked past by him and didn’t even bother to reply his smile. As I poured some coffee for myself, Si Won asked me, “So, how’s cereal for breakfast?”

  I took a sip of my coffee and said in a flat tone, “Why don’t you order Chinese like always?”

  I could tell, judging from his silence, he didn’t see that coming. As I sat on one of the chairs at the dining table, Si Won leaned forward against the kitchen counter and said aloud, “Well Chinese isn’t really a good meal to eat in the morning.”

  “Then I guess cereal’s more like it,” I said while giving him a look that says, ‘I am bored to death’.

  Si Won raked his fingers through his hair and then took off his apron. He threw it onto the counter and made way towards me. He placed his hands onto the back of the chair opposite of me and just looked at me like I had done something unnoticeably.

  “What more do you want from me, Min Young?” he asked me with his eyebrows furrowed. “I’ve confessed. What more?” he asked me again.

  I pushed my mug of coffee away and looked up to him. “What more?” I repeated his question and answered in a yell, “A sorry would do just fine!”

  “I already said sorry!!” he yelled back.

  “Well the fact that you cheated on me, of course I can’t forgive you!!” I retorted.

  He looked away from me and let out a rough sigh. He flailed his arms and then turned back to me to say with his forefinger pointed at me, “Just because I’m seeing someone doesn’t mean we’re doing anything.”

  “Oh, so you guys just talk with your lips only millimetres apart. Is that it?” I said before crossing my arms and lean back into my chair.

  Si Won wanted to agree but realized what I had said. “That’s not it! We were just colleagues. We just talked about work and then she asked me out for dinner. It was late and I was starving. How would you be if you were in my shoes?”

  “Being alone with her at twelve midnight doesn’t really call for midnight snacks by the stall, Si Won!” I stated factually. “Stop lying and making up excuses; if you don’t want me anymore just . . . just leave me!”

  I stood up from my seat and went straight up to my room. This time, I locked the door and just cried. I sat cross legged on the bed and buried my face in my palms as I let my tears fall. I couldn’t believe what was happening to me. I didn’t do anything wrong. Why must this happen to me?

  I heard the knob of the door being turned but of course it was constricted due to the lock. Si Won vigorously tried to turn the knob but of course it was to no avail. He then started banging on the door. “Min Young, Min Young! I know you can hear me.” Si Won said from the other side. “Min Young!! Open this door!” he yelled. He banged on the door again and said, “Look if you won’t open this door I am going to kick it down, I swear!!”

  “Then just do it why don’t you.” I mumbled as I hugged my knees.

  “Min Young!! Open this door, Min Young! Sweetheart!! Open up, please!!” Si Won continued to plead. “Look, I’m sorry! I know I shouldn’t have cheated on you. We did see each other a couple of times and . . . and a few nights. But that’s all going to end now. I was going to end it anyway! Please, just open the door, Min Young-ah!”

  ‘Lies, just more and more lies,’ I thought as I rephrased the words he had said.

  After a few more minutes of banging on the door, Si Won must’ve had enough. He must’ve punched the door before yelling in outburst, “If you don’t want to open the door, fine!! If you don’t want to accept my apologies, fine!! But don’t regret it once I leave this house tomorrow!!”

  “Good riddance!!” I yelled back to him.

  “AAAAHH!!” he yelled in frustration and gave the door one more punch before stomping down the stairs.