Rejected

Spouse Exchange

 

 

 

I was doing some paperwork. I checked my wristwatch for the time. It was six. ‘I’ve been here that long already?’ I thought and quickly signed the paper before putting it aside with a few others.

  I took off my white lab coat and hung it on the coat rack before slipping on my dark green blazer. I grabbed my tote and headed out. I stopped by the counter to announce that I was leaving and made way to my car at the parking lot.

  It was parked on the 3rdfloor. My car stood out among the rest because it was a red convertible. An Audi to be exact but since it looked gloomy outside like it was about to rain, I had to put my hood up before driving out.

  As I drove, I unconsciously thought of what to cook for dinner. By now, my husband might already have reached home and ordered some take-out instead of heating up the leftovers from yesterday but I still think to cook for him.

  As expected, as I parked into the driveway, his silver Porsche stood glimmering in the sun. I sighed at the sight of how crooked his parking was and just shook my head before heading in. I sometimes wished he was an architect like Mr Jo Jae Hee in the drama ‘He Who Can’t Marry’ because he was meticulous and very clean. Unlike my husband – he’s the exact opposite.

  I dropped my keys into the bowl beside the door and said, “I’m home!”

  “Took you a while,” said Si Won as he came in with a box of Chinese take-out. It must’ve been the usual, Kung Pau Chicken. I checked the kitchen and as always, he only ordered for one. At times like this I just wish I had children but we hadn’t had any luck.

  “Didn’t you bother checking the fridge before you ordered?” I asked as I placed my tote on the counter.

  “There’s food in the fridge?” he asked as he sat on the couch before switching on the TV.

  I looked at him in half exasperation and frustration before pulling the refrigerator door open and looked into it. I took out the many Tupperware filled with yesterday’s dinner he hardly touched and warmed them so I could eat them.

  The food sizzled in my pan over the stove as I toss the vegetables. I even added more spices so they might taste better. Once served on the plates, I said with a smile and called over my husband, “Si Won-ssi.”

  When I looked up, he was already off of the couch with his box of take-out empty on the coffee table. He didn’t even bother to switch the TV off. I placed my hands on my hips and just rolled my eyes.

  I walked over to the living area which was just a few steps away and used the remote control to switch it off. I even took the empty box and threw it in the trash bin under the sink. Sadly, I took a seat at the dining table and ate my dinner – alone. Maybe I might have more luck tonight. Maybe that was exactly what he needed.

  After finishing dinner, I quickly washed up. I took a shower and prepped myself for the night. He had already changed into his boxers. He had pulled the covers over himself and switched the lamp to his side off. I peeked from the door and then looked into the mirror.

  I had brushed my teeth, soaped, applied lotion and wore the best lingerie I thought looked good on my figure. Once I was ready, ‘Show time’ I thought.

  I crept out of the bathroom and switched the lights off before silently closing the door. Only a faint click was produced. I then crawled onto the bed in my short night gown and dived under the covers as well as Si Won. I came closer and wrapped my arms around his waist.

  “So, how was work? Was it stressful?” I asked.

  He let out a sigh before answering in a bored tone, “A little.”

  “Say, how about I give you a massage to lessen the tension in these shoulders.” I offered as I slowly rubbed his shoulders.

  I was totally taken aback when he said, “I’m not in the mood.”

  “Excuse me?” I said.

  He then turned his head towards me and said sternly, “I said I’m not in the mood!”

  He pulled the covers over his shoulders and jerked away from me. Hesitantly, I pull my hands away from him and distanced myself from him. I turned my back to him and stole a glance over my shoulder to see if he was looking at me. He was unmoving.

  Before reaching over for the light switch, I let a tear fall and sulked silently in the night.