All In a Dentist's Day of Work

Spouse Exchange

 

 

 

A normal day in the office, with the sound of birds chirping in the air, the sun’s rays spills over my white tiled floor and lights up my office. Looking out into the nature my window opens to, I smile and let out a sigh at how calm and peaceful everything was.

  Until, a nurse comes in. “Doctor, we have a patient for you in Emergency Three.”

  Quickly, I got out of my chair and burst out into the hallways. My nurse in waiting handed me a file and we had a quick discussion about the patient.

  “Details,” was all I said and she shot me info like bullets.

  “He’s male, mid-thirties, he had an accident, fell from his apartment block from the third floor. His head received the most impact since he landed head first. He broke his jaw due to that fall.”

  “Alright, prep me for surgery.” I told her and before going in I turned to her and added, “Make sure all the equipment are ready. I’ll need those prostates right away, sterilized.”

  “Yes doctor, right away doctor.”

  I pushed the double doors open and there were three nurses waiting for me. One helped me take off my coat and the other helped me with my shrubs. I washed my hands and then the two nurses helped me with my mask and gloves.

  As I tied my ties in place, I burst into the Emergency Room and asked, “How’s he holding up?”

  “He’s stabilized for now,” answered my right hand doctor for the day. “His wife signed his papers, agreed to the surgery.”

  “Alright, let’s get cracking people.” I said and studied the break.

  His jaw was clearly broken – or smashed – and the surgery might just be what he needs right now. Ordering one of the nurses in charge of the tray of goods, I asked for a scalpel. I made an incision and my right-hand doctor helped me by clearing up the oozing blood.

  Bit by bit, I picked up bones that had shattered and used the drill to shape up the bone so the prostate would fit his jaw. After drilling and making a few more adjustments, I leave the stitching to my right-hand man.

  “He’s all yours,” I said and he took my place.

  I could’ve done the stitching but he was there so I made use of his presence. I walked out of the room and took off the gloves. I pulled down my mask and looked at the wall clock hanging above the mirror. The surgery took three hours. I broke my last record which was three hours and two minutes.

  Taking off my scrubs without the help of my nurses, I grab my coat and walked out of the preparation room. Outside, I saw my right-hand doctor talking to probably the patient’s wife. Her eyes were blotched and red from crying. I couldn’t imagine her state of worry.

  I felt like being there to hear him tell her the good news but something made me hold back and change my mind. I just stuffed my hands down the pockets of my coat and made my way back to my office.

  “Dr Jang,” I heard and turned around only to find my right-hand man jogging my way to catch up with me.

  “Dr Park,” I said as he was a few feet from me. “Is there anything I can help you with?” I asked him. He was still in his shrubs.

  “I just wanted to say good job on the surgery.” Dr Park said.

  “Oh I should be saying the same thing to you. You were phenomenal back there. That was some good stitching.” I praised him back. I swore I thought his cheeks turned pink.

  “Anyways, I just wanted to say I look forward to working with you again. You sure uphold your title as the best of the best.”

  “Thank you, I appreciate that. I hope to working with you soon too.” I said and asked, “Until next time?”

  Dr Park replied with a smile, “Until next time.”

  I turned my back to him and made my way to my office. As I pass by the counter, Miss Hye Ryung suddenly called to me, “Dr Jang.”

  I stopped in my tracks and turned to her, “Yes?”

  She came out from behind the counter and handed me a few files. “These are the appointments you’ll be having today. You start at 3.30.” she said.

  I checked my wristwatch and let out a sigh. It was 3.20. “To think I might not be that busy today.” The nurse smiled and I chuckled. “Alright, let them in as soon as it reaches 3.30.”

  Hye Ryung said as she bowed, “Yes, ma’am.” 

  I walked into my office and went behind my desk to pull out my top drawer. Inside, heed my cell phone. I pressed the button in the middle and saw my screensaver. I had no calls. I let out a sigh and just tossed it back inside my drawer before walking out with the files in my arms.

  Inside the examination room, there was an empty chair. Around it were equipment, stuff for cleaning, washing, buffing and more that would help clean your teeth. I flipped through the top file and in came the patient.

  He greeted me, “Good morning doctor.”

  I looked up and flashed the old man a smile. “Good morning Mr Kap Soo. Do you have any cavities for me today?” I asked as he settled in the big green chair.

  For an old man he was sturdy. The last time he came, he had a number of cavities that needed fixing. Hopefully after a few months, they stay clean.

  He said proudly, “I took care of my teeth. Not even once did I not brush.”

  I smiled wider and said, “Good to hear. Now let’s see if your efforts were worth it.”

  He lay back in the chair and I lowered it. I put on gloves and switched on the light. I told him to open his mouth and averted the light towards his wide open mouth. Using a small mirror, I check the insides of his teeth. I nodded in amazement.

  “Your teeth are impeccable, Mr Kap Soo. Your efforts were of no waste.” I said and he seemed content. “But,” I said and he looked surprised, “there are a few stains so I might have to scale them.”

  “But I brushed,” he said once the mirror was out of his mouth.

  “I know but I’m guessing you had wine with meat. I advise you lessen your meat intake and try to floss after every meal.” I told him and he nodded.

  I called in SoRi and prepared the utensils for the scaling. I noticed Kap Soo fidgeting with his clothes. He was nervous.

  “Don’t worry, Mr Kap Soo.” I told him. “This won’t hurt one bit. It will only be just a tickle.”

  “Oh, okay.” Kap Soo said uneasily and added, “What will I ever do? I am glad you’re my doctor, Dr Jang. There’s no one else I could trust.”

  I was touched by his words. I looked at him and smiled warmly at him. “It’s all in a Dentist’s day’s work, Mr Kap Soo. Now say ‘Ah’.” I told him before switching the device on.