Chapter 19

Selfish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“It’s pointless to believe what you see, if you only see what you believe” – The Young Elites, Marie Lu.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

 

JUNHO

Chansung and I sat in the office for a pretty long time. I asked Chansung to leave if he wanted but he refused. And honestly I’m glad he didn’t go because I don’t know what I would have done. I kept myself busy doing some sketches or re-arranging files. None of them were important. It had been over an hour since my subordinates left work. There were people still in the office. But my work was done.

We were going to start the interiors tomorrow. So we had to go directly to the building site from tomorrow.

I didn’t know what was happening. I was clueless. And so was Chansung. I was forcing myself not to panic because Chansung wasn’t panicking at all.

“Relax. Don’t worry” he said.

“I’m not worrying” I lied.

“Minjun is a businessman. He’ll obviously have sudden meetings and stuff to attend to right” he said convincingly.

“Yeah”

“Did something progress between you two?” he asked.

“Umm…” I tried to hide the pink rising on my cheeks as I remembered the kiss we were just going to have in the morning.

“Not really” I said.

He nodded his head and said, “I’ve asked for an extended leave. For your sessions”

“I don’t think you should do that”

“Why?”

“You have other patients as well”

“That’s okay. There are other therapists. And you are my only long term patient”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes”

“But do I really need therapy? I feel fine”

“Really?” he asked narrowing his eyes.

“Maybe not” I said, the doubts arising in me again.

Just then I felt a vibration in my pocket. I fished out my phone and stared at the screen hoping it was Minjun.

It was.

-Hey-

Is he kidding me? Hey?

-All well?- I asked.

-Yeah. Can u come down with Chansung? Too tired to come up-

What had he done that he was so tired?

-Okay- I messaged back and took all my belongings and left with Chansung.

I didn’t have to look twice to know which car was Minjun’s. We hopped in and the driver accelerated. Minjun was sitting in the front seat, beside the driver. He had pulled down his window and his arm rested on the window. The breeze pushed his hair at the back revealing his forehead.

He looked drained. It didn’t stop me from worrying.

“You guys didn’t have any trouble right?” he asked turning back.

“No” I said shaking my head. It felt like anything against his wish would break him apart at the moment.

 

It felt like an eternity by the time we dropped off Chansung at the hotel and entered Minjun’s apartment. He slumped on the sofa as we entered and flexed his neck while lying down.

“What happened?” I asked as I sat next to him, on the edge of the sofa.

He turned to his side to face me and absent mindedly rested his hand on my stomach. Just that simple action made my heart flutter.

“There was a board meeting today” he said. His voice was heavy.

“And?”

“They said they want the hotel to be ready within two months”

“What? But that’s ahead of schedule by a month”

“Exactly”

“Why would they make such a demand?”

“I guess they’re testing me. To see if I am capable enough to handle the Japan project”

“That’s dumb. And what if you can’t do it?”

“I don’t get the Japan project and they’ll invest somewhere else”

“Oh no”

‘’Yeah…”

I wasn’t sure as to how to comfort him. I placed my hand on his cheek and brushed his cheek. He closed his eyes at my touch. Like it actually comforted him.

I bent down and pecked him on his closed eye.

“You should eat. You probably might not have had lunch” I said moving back.

“I don’t want to eat”

“But you should”

I got up from the sofa and walked to the kitchen, hating the moment of separation. I opened the top cabinet to see what was there to make and I felt his hands slowly wrapping around my waist. He pressed my body tightly to his and buried his face in my neck. I held my breath as we stood like that for some time.

“Can we just have Ramen?” he spoke against my skin which sent chills down my spine.

I smiled and raised my hand to get the packet from the shelf. All the while I heated the stove, poured water, placed the Ramen and put spices in it, he didn’t let me go. He kept his face buried in my neck and his hands around my waist. He kept pace with me as I moved in the kitchen. With every move I made, I realized he was releasing his stress. As I put the vessel on the table, I slightly nudged him.

He slowly let go and lazily went around the table to sit opposite to me. I gave him a smile as I sat down and handed him chopsticks. He said he didn’t want to eat but he was pouncing on the Ramen already.

I didn’t know what to say. Maybe our silence was also comforting. And then he asked me something which made my face go white.

 

“Where are your foster parents?”

I stopped chewing my food and looked up at him. Did he really want to know?

I pressed my lips together wondering how to say.

“What happened to your foster parents?” he repeated.

“They passed away” I said.

His eyes widened. “How?” he asked.

“Accident”

I looked down and continued eating. I hope he didn’t see through my lie. Why was he asking this now? I didn’t want him to know anything about them. Not for their sake but for my sake. I wouldn’t want to see them again.  

“I’m sorry for asking you that. I shouldn’t have” he said.

“No it’s fine. You deserve to know anyway” I said. I hated lying to him.

“I’m sorry Junho” he said.

“For what?”

“For treating you so bad when you came back to Seoul. I hadn’t even listened to you”

“You’re making me feel guiltier”

“No. I really mean it”

“Can this be the last time we talk about this?” I asked.

He nodded his head and a smile appeared on his face. And just like that, all the tension between us vanished. I gave him a smile and we continued eating.

 

WOOYOUNG

Today was my main test. The National Park. I hope I won’t screw it up. There is no way I would screw up. I just had to take pictures, what could possibly go wrong in that?

But deep inside I knew that’s not what made me nervous. It was Nichkhun.

I took a deep breath before I opened my door. My heartbeat stopped as I saw him standing outside, leaning against the wall. His first button ed. Sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His hair was on point.

Could he look more handsome?

It took everything in me to keep a normal face. I gave a small smile as we walked through the empty corridor.

 

The first thing I saw when we reached the national park was that girl who was on the bus. She had taken pictures of us and handed them to N

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter