Chapter 13

Selfish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I havent reviewed it so pls excuse mistakes... :{

_____________________________________________________________________________________

“What if, instead of thinking about solving your whole life, you just think about adding additional good things? One at a time. Just let the pile of good things grow” – Attachments, Rainbow Rowell.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WOOYOUNG

I waited outside Nichkhun’s hotel in my car. It was 4:30 in the afternoon. I had visited Junho earlier in the hospital. Chansung was with him. I was so glad Chansung was there. It would’ve been hard for me if he wasn’t there.

I turned to see the hotel entrance and saw Nichkhun coming out. He had that smile…There was something in that smile he gave. It just flushes me with a wave of serenity. And it was something beautiful.

Was I being a creep?

As he entered the car and put on his seatbelt, he asked “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah…You don’t have to worry” I said giving him a small smile.

 

We sat on a rooftop restaurant. I honestly was scared for this moment. This was supposed to be my interview. It didn’t even feel like an interview. But more than scared for the interview, I was nervous. Not for the interview but his presence made me nervous. In a good way. I could feel my heart beat.

“How long have you been doing photography?” he asked sipping his coffee.

“Since I was 14”

“Woah. What do you do now?”

“Interiors photography”

“Why? You can do so much better in travel and landscape stuff”

“Yeah…I know”

“Then why?”

“I just didn’t get many opportunities here”

“But how? I mean, the pictures you sent me…they’re amazing”

I just looked down and smiled.

“There has to be a reason” he said leaning forward and resting elbows on the table.

“Is it…very important to know the reason?” I asked.

“It can affect my choice of working with you”

Could I tell him? I never told anyone except Minjun. There wasn’t anything so secretive about it anyway.

“Umm…all the good companies here…were asked to not recruit me”

“By whom? And why?” he asked. I could see how absurd he found this.

“By my parents. They didn’t want me to do photography…and since they have a lot of power, they just asked the companies to not let me pursue it”

He stared at me. I could see a very small, almost negligible smile on his face. I don’t even know what that meant.

“I want to give you the job” he said.

“Is it because…of what I told just now? I don’t want a job out of sympathy” I said.

“What you told me right now is not the complete story. I know it” he said.

Yeah, a lot of other happened, but how did he know that?

“But that’s how much I need to know, I guess. I understand and respect that” he said.

Okay.

“Whenever I go on a venture like this, I spend an outing with the person in a hill station or something to check their skills. In my business I can’t really afford any losses” he said after a pause.

I nodded.

“So can we go somewhere? I’d like to see your skills”

“Sure” I said.

“Alright. You choose the place and date”

“Can you not ask me to choose the place and time all the time?”

“Why?” he asked smirking.

“Because…” Because? There wasn’t really any reason. Could I say it was awkward because it felt like we were dating whenever he asked to me set the place and date…No I couldn’t.

His raised his eyebrows.

“Okay. I choose the place. You choose the date” I suggested.

“Fair” he said.

“Okay. I’d like to research a little” I said.

“Are you sure? I mean…your friend is in the hospital”

“No it’s okay. There are others to take care of him. And…I don’t think I’d want to let this opportunity go”

He smiled widely. I had to look away.

 

MINJUN

I kept stealing glances at the clock. It was getting late and I really wanted to go to the hospital to see Junho. But the guy at the meeting just wouldn’t stop talking.

“Coming to the last point of the meeting…”

I smiled as I heard that.

Generally in meetings I stay till everyone leaves, but this time as soon as he finished talking I stood up and left after saying a goodbye.

 

At the hospital, I saw Chansung in the doctor’s room. Taecyeon was explaining something to him. I walked over to Junho’s room. It was a little disappointing to see him lying in the same position as I left him. I wasn’t expecting him to sit up and play around but, I was expecting some sort of improvement.

And then I saw the improvement, his face wasn’t as pale as it was before. He didn’t look so sick. He just looked like a normal person sleeping.

I sat next to him and held his delicate fingers in mine. It felt like he had become thin now.

I frowned as I remembered how harsh I had been that day in the meeting. I wondered how he got rid of his monster parents. If I ever saw them in my life, I’d not even hesitate to kill them. I squeezed his hand gently and placed a kiss on his warm forehead.

I was startled as Chansung barged inside the room shouting “Good news!”

“Yah, you scared me” I said.

“According to Taecyeon’s reports and guesses, he should probably wake up tomorrow”

“That’s a relief” I said unknowingly shaking Chansung’s hand.

“Where’s Wooyoung?” I asked.

“He came in between. He said he had some meeting”

“Oh okay” He had told me. How could I forget? I hope it went well though.

“But the problem here is that, he’ll be really upset when he wakes up”

I nodded my head.

 “Even if you say you love him, his mindset will be such that he’d feel like anything good is a lie”

“Then what do I say?”

“Just pretend like nothing ever happened. Shower him with love and affection but don’t try to be obvious that he’s been through a lot that’s why you’re caring for him. I know it’s not like that but this is what he’ll think”

“Okay”

“Also…he’ll try to push you away. Just don’t take all that to heart. The reason he’ll do that is because he thinks he’s not good enough for you”

“He’s so precious…” I said kissing Junho’s fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter