Chapter 27

FATED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mark’s POV

“What is taking Ye In so long?” I am pacing back and forth, feeling tensed. My whole heart is beating quickly, as if it can jump out at any moment now.

“She will come soon. Patience is a virtue, remember?” I flinch when Jin Young suddenly pats me on the back. My mind is so preoccupied about the surprise that I have totally forgotten about his presence in the room.

A small smile is form be before I resume back to my pacing. I sigh loudly that it is audible for Jin Young to hear.

“Nervous?”

“You think?” Jin Young looks at me in a teasing manner after catching my answer.

“Why though?” Jin Young simply asks.

“I have no idea either,” I reply without any humour behind it.

“I think Ye In and I are supposed to be more nervous than you. We are the ones that lead her to you so if things do not go as plan, well…” Jin Young laughs it off before he abruptly stops.

Each minute passes by slowly yet Ye In has not shown herself. Jin Young and I are beginning to be restless after some time. Both of us are probably thinking about the same thing.

Where is Ye In?

Noises can be heard outside not long after. There are shuffling of footsteps and muffled voices approaching to the room. Jin Young and I are alert now. Ye In should be coming into the room at any moment now.

“No, do not go inside!”

The doorknob clicks open and two figures appear. I stop breathing when I see her. I try to speak but it comes out raspy and barely audible.

“Oh boy,” Jin Young mutters under his breath.

“Mark? What are you doing here?” Mi Joo asks, pleasantly surprise. I can hear Ye In sighs deeply who is next to Mi Joo.

“I tried to divert her attention but I failed. I am sorry, I ruined the surprise,” Ye In says with her head down.

“You did your best, do not be apologetic,” I finally speak. Ye In smiles weakly though there is still remorse written all over her face.

“What are you talking about?” Mi Joo looks like a lost puppy. Confusion can be seen through her eyes.

“Ye In and I will leave you two alone,” Jin Young says, sensing the need of privacy between Mi Joo and I.

I give Jin Young a slight nod, expressing my gratitude towards his thoughtfulness.

“So… Surprise?” I say with a tinge of excitement in my voice after Ye In and Jin Young left the room.

“For?...” Mi Joo asks with uncertainty. She is using her fingers to count, probably figuring out what special occasion it is today. She scratches her head, still unsure.

“Oh… Mark, I do not know,” Mi Joo says, her face flushed.

“Baby, it is okay.” I gently pull her towards me. her hair, I quickly give her a small peck on the temple.

“Remember February fourteenth?” I suggest while placing a loose strand behind her ear.

“It is valentine’s day… Oh!” Mi Joo has her eyes widen in pure realisation. I grin, planting another chaste kiss on her temple.

“I recall you giving me a surprise already though,” Mi Joo says.

The box of chocolate, that is what Mi Joo meant. On the day itself, I sent a box of Mi Joo’s favourite sweets to her. It was special in a way as I personally designed the chocolates, shaping it into a “M” and inside it was filled with rich salty caramel that gave the chocolate a balanced taste.

“How are they?”

“They are like little drops of heaven,” Mi Joo replies.

“One is enough, there is no need for you to give me another surprise. As long as we are with each other, it has make me happy already,” Mi Joo adds on.

“And I am sorry for ruining it, I did not mean it, really,” Mi Joo says.

“It does not matter anyways, it is not that grand at all.”

Mi Joo seems to be skeptical about my statement.

“It is true!”

I explain the whole plan to her; how Ye In is supposed to lead her to a corridor where she will meet Jin Young. Jin Young will bring her to me while playing Lovelyz’s ‘Hug Me’. As the song is reaching towards the end, Jin Young will open the door to where I am in which I will be in a position to hug her with my arms wide open.

“See? The surprise is not that grand at all.”

“It is the thought that counts. Thank you for it anyway even though I ruin it,” Mi Joo says, sheepishly.

“I am so embarrassed to have this thought that once you see me, you will run towards me and cry your eyes out since we never see each other for weeks,” I admit.

“Maybe I will but I was really shock to see you here. Do you not have practice today?”

My comeback is in a month’s time so my schedule is fully packed to prepare for the upcoming comeback. However, the boss has decided to give us a one day break for us to rest at home or do some personal work.

“When the album is release, listen to a song carefully,” I hint.

She agrees to it without hesitating. This will be the real surprise.

 

“Hi, can I have two lattes please. Thank you.” I hand my credit card to the cashier and wait for it to be return back to me.

Mi Joo and I have decided to spend the rest of the time at her company’s café for a simple date.

Not seeing each other for a couple of weeks, certainly there is a need for catch up. We cannot text or have frequent calls either as she does not have her phone back yet. It is a dull sight to see but we still have to deal with the circumstances.

“Here is your order, sir. Enjoy your drinks!” the cashier says in a delighted tone.

I take hold of the tray and walk back to where Mi Joo is sitting. She is at the very corner of the café, staring into blank space as if there is something troubling her. She does not notice my presence as I stand in front of her.

“A penny for your thoughts?” I ask, snapping her back into reality.

“… Oh, nothing…” Mi Joo says. She sounds lethargic as she answers my question.

“I am not buying your lie, love.” I settle myself down as I pass the drink to her.

“Tired, probably.” She is sipping her drink quietly, eyes avoiding me. Something must be up, I sense it. This is not how Mi Joo will normally act, I know her as if I know her since forever. All the specific details that she does, I know what it meant. And this is definitely one of the things she will do when she is worried, afraid, terrified.

Woo Hyun is the first thing that comes to my mind. Woo Hyun, that darn bastard, who hurt her, used her, threatened her.

I am on the verge of asking her about him but I stop myself from doing so.

She needs reassurance, Mark, I remind myself.

I place my hand over hers, my thumb rubbing against her soft skin. This action startles her but she soon has a smile casting on her beautiful face.

“I love you, Mi Joo.”

A spread of pink can be seen across her face due to my sudden confession.

“I love you too.” Mi Joo now holds my hand tightly.

“And I want to tell you I am always going to be by your side be it raining or shining.”

“I know,” Mi Joo replies.

My eyes dart to the side as loud chattering can be heard. I harden the hold of the cup as if I can break it into a million pieces any sooner.

The moment he catches sight of me, a smirk is immediately form on his face. Seeing him irks the hell out of me. A clenched knuckled fist, an angry scowl, these actions come naturally to me whenever I see him. I swear my face is as red as lava or steam is coming out of my ears.

“We should go,” I say.

“Hm, why? We are only here for less than twenty minutes and we have not finish our drinks yet,” Mi Joo asks.

Since her back is facing him, she cannot see him. She turns her head around to see what is the big deal about. I can hear her mumbling “Oh…” as her focus is still on him.

“Do you want to go?” I question with uncertainty.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter