A Distraction

Bewitched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter Five


Chanyeol was eating graham cake at the living room when the front door swung open and Yoona ran straight for the stairs and to her room as she got home.


“Ya, noona! Let’s have a snack. I baked grahams.” Chanyeol called to her as she sped past him.


“I’ll join you later.” She called back.


Usually, Yoona would run straight to her younger half-brother whenever he mentioned grahams, or any other dessert he loved baking. It was weird that she ran straight to her room. Chanyeol watched his sister disappearing to the second floor of their manor with an open mouth. But then he quickly closed it and shrugged, remembering that being weird was part of Yoona’s diverse personality. She was half funny and playful, a quarter grumpy, and the other quarter weird. Though she had this unpredictable character added to the fact that she was his father’s child from an affair, she was well accepted by their family.


Chanyeol was not sure if their elder brother, Lay, knew about Yoona’s biological mother; but Chanyeol was sure that he himself did not know. He was not yet existent when his dad had an affair and Yoona came out of the world, noisy and naughty.


The front door banged open again, shocking Chnayeol out of his deep thoughts and making him think crossly, is everybody trying to destroy our front door? He turned to the direction of the door wearing a big scowl which slowly dissipated when he saw Yoona’s best friend, Sooyoung, the gorgeous product of perfect figure – tall, supermodel-thin legs, small waist, and alluring tan complexion. Chanyeol’s famous toothy grin appeared instantly.


“Hi, noona!” He enthusiastically greeted.


“Hi, handsome.” Sooyoung greeted back as she sat on the sofa next to him. She had to add the compliment when she saw the food he had. After all, Sooyoung’s true love was food.


“Want some?” Sure enough, Chanyeol offered the graham cake to her.


“Who wouldn’t?!” Her eyes lit up as she gobbled the first piece.


“Well, Yoona-noona refused them. Do you know why my noona’s acting strangely again?”


“She finally met a guy whom she thinks was the guy who deserved her.” Sooyoung replied as she took another bite from her grahams.


That was the second time Yoona had a crush. The first was Kai Kim, but she eventually got over him when he moved to South Korea; besides, they were just kids when they claimed to have feelings for each other.


“Kai’s back, right?” ― Chanyeol


She nodded while chewing her grahams.


“Do you think they still have―” He began.


Sooyoung quickly swallowed her food and denied right away, stopping Chanyeol midsentence. “I don’t think so. Right now, they’re just friends.”


“Juice?” Chanyeol offered to her, as he handed her the glass of orange juice which was supposed to be his.


“Thanks.” She took it.


He watched her drink before she continued. “Kai says he lost interest in girls because he thinks even he is prettier than those who showed interest in him; that kid, really! Telling a girl that Kai Kim is prettier than her is the harshest way to say that she’s ugly! That guy is just like you, actually. He also preferred puppies more than ladies.”


Chanyeol did not know why he had never been in love or why love had never attracted him. He always guessed he would end up forever single. He did like a few girls, but not the romantic attraction; Sooyoung for instance. At this thought, Chanyeol heartily laughed, just like how he would whenever he hangs around with Sooyoung. Perhaps, it’s because he believed that they were very similar in so many ways.


Yoona had also never been in love after Kai left, saying that she could not find a guy who was deserving of her attention. Her standard was so high and Chanyeol was happy when he heard that somebody already qualified.


“So, who’s the guy?” Chanyeol asked Sooyoung.


“Your friend, Lu Han.”


“Seriously? But that would be awkward.”


“What’s awkward?”


“Well, Kai and Luhan are now friends. Myungsoo was their matchmaker.”


“Does that even matter? Kai and Yoona had moved on from their puppy love. They’re good friends now. Past is past.”


“You’re right. I should just be happy for my sister. But then, I have to say I would kill anyone who hurts her.”


Though Chanyeol was younger than Yoona, he was very protective of her. Between Lay and him, Yoona confided to Chanyeol more; maybe because the gap between their ages was closer compared to her with Lay. However, when it came to Yoona’s psycho stalkers who called themselves suitors, Lay always took care of them. They could not come near her when Lay was around.


The thing is: Yoona was the only girl and she was precious. Chanyeol never entrusted her to any guy or girl friends. Most of the girls who befriend her were after Lay’s attention, who was a heartthrob. The only one he trusted was Sooyoung. She had her ups and downs with Yoona but she stayed with her ‘til the end. And for that, Chanyeol was thankful.


And while Lay was one of the most sought after guys, Yoona was the prettiest in the University. Chanyeol didn’t know where that would put him. He was the weird tower, he guessed, always complemented by his silly twin tower, Kris. Almost all people think the same thing of Chanyeol and Kris – both were incredibly handsome, and who would not think that the two tallest boys is the school are the coolest? BUT, these two lacked gentleman attributes and sharp thinking skills.


“I’m gonna buy something at the grocery store.” Yoona said, emerging from the kitchen.


I never noticed her going to the kitchen. How’d she get there? Chanyeol wondered if he had been contemplating for such a long time already. He was afraid he might have bored Sooyoung who was still busy eating.


“I’m coming with you.” Sooyoung volunteered.


“No need. I didn’t want to disturb you. You seemed to be enjoying.” Yoona teased the two.


“We were just talking!” Sooyoung defended.


“You’re too defensive, Sooyoung-unnie. I meant you’re enjoying the grahams, not Chanyeol. Duh!” She said and was out of sight.


“You’re sister’s funny.” Sooyoung turned to Chanyeol and laughed awkwardly.

 

 

 

 

 

» » »

 

 

 

 

 

At the grocery, Yoona was supposed to ponder about which hair moisturizer to buy, but all she could ponder about was Luhan…


…and Park Chorong, apparently.


Yoona sighed. She had always been coined as the prettiest in Sooman University. People saw her prettier than Chorong. She did not know what Luhan saw in Chorong that he did not see in Yoona.


Wait a sec… is that Chorong? While Chorong had been running in Yoona’s head for many hours already, there stood the real-life Chorong in the grocery store with none other than Myungsoo Janus. Yoona quickly hid behind a shelf of bath soaps and peeped at the two.


Are they close? She wondered.


Before she could think of a logical reason as to why they were together, she heard a child’s voice. “Waaaahhhh…”


Yoona looked behind her and saw a young boy running to her direction while pushing a grocery cart. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter