Crazy, Creepy Love

Bewitched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter Twenty-three


Seohyun thought Luhan would confess to Myungsoo that there was something going on between the two of them. She felt relieved at such thought, not wanting to undergo that drama of telling Myungsoo that she was having feelings for his best friend – not that he would ask. But Myungsoo had to know; after all, he used to date Seohyun, even if he was just pretending. Shifting to his best friend without letting him know made her feel like a cheater.
However, Luhan and Myungsoo entered the room, laughing and teasing each other like they used to. It was as if nothing had changed between them and the fact that they almost ended their friendship because of her seemed like a dream. Had Luhan decided not to hurt his best friend and dismissed the kiss he shared with Seohyun? Was she just imagining the feelings he had for her? Did he comfort her because he felt responsible for the revenge on her and he pitied her?
Seohyun felt stupid and she hated it when people made a fool out of her. But she felt something beyond anger – she was hurt. She could not concentrate with their classes. She was busy watching Myungsoo and Luhan joke once in a while. She fretted on her seat and looked to Yoona, wondering if her friend had noticed the sudden change between the two boys. But Yoona was busy stealing glances at Kris, and when the tower would catch her, she would blush and bow her head in embarrassment. Without anyone to ask for a theory, Seohyun felt the urge to punch someone.
Clenching her fists on the hem of her blouse until her knuckles paled, she impatiently waited for their two subjects to end and for lunch break to come.
“Miss Nixon? Did you hear me?” Mrs. Dee’s low, clear voice brought Seohyun back to reality.
She heard the English professor’s voice but it took time for her brain to register that ‘Miss Nixon’ was actually her and not Yoona. Every eye in the room watched her, wondering what has gotten to her. Seohyun usually answers precisely as soon as the teacher throws a question at her. It was odd for her to stop and look dumbly at the professor.
Yoona nudged Seohyun who forced her feet up. Seohyun looked around and stopped at Luhan’s face. He was smiling at her, and he winked when he realized she was looking directly at him. Seohyun felt her face starting to heat up and she glowered at him to keep herself from blushing.
“Stupid deer.” She whispered, annoyed.
Yoona sensed her distress and knew she was not listening. “Why do you think did Emily Grierson keep Homer’s corpse with her for many years?” She repeated the teacher’s question.
Emily Grierson. Right. She’s the protagonist in ‘A Rose For Emily’. Seohyun hurriedly racked her brain for Emily Grierson’s story.
‘A Rose For Emily’ was the literary piece they were taking. It was about a woman, Emily, who kept her lover’s corpse on her bed in her room and slept with the body for so many years. He was all she had left and she could not accept his homouality. Refusing to let him leave her, she poisoned him and kept his dead body hidden inside her room.
“She was crazy.” Seohyun answered the question.
The teacher frowned at her blatant answer. Majority of her classmates did not agree with her, including Luhan. He knew that the protagonist’s love was creepy but he expected Seohyun to dig deeper into the probable emotions of Emily and give a reason as to why the character did such morbidity.
“Emily must have loved him very much that she was willing to do anything, even the most ridicule thing, just to be with him. She was crazy, yes, but can’t you say that she was crazy because of her love for him?” Yoona loudly argued, staring up at her friend.
“It’s not love, it’s madness.” Seohyun looked back at her friend and explained. “She was obsessed with him and she was selfish. If he does not like her, she should just let him go.” Then she turned back in front to the professor. “And analyzing the technicalities of the text, Emily’s great aunt had gone crazy. It could be that her condition was hereditary and Emily inherited it. After all, nobody would sleep with a corpse except for someone who’s crazy.”
“Actually, that’s the precise answer. Emily’s crazy.” Mrs. Dee nodded her head.
Seohyun sat back down and the other students buzzed with apprehension.
“What? That’s it? Isn’t the story supposed to be dramatic?” Yookyung loudly asked the teacher.
“Being crazy is dramatic enough.” Kris pointed out.
“But there must have been something else aside from being crazy! I mean don’t you realize that her action just meant she really must have wanted him very much!” Luhan insisted.
“No matter how much I want someone, I would never sleep with a cadaver.” Seohyun rolled her eyes, making Luhan gape at her.
“Miss Nixon has a point.” Mrs. Dee sighed, finding it impossible to integrate something good from the story after Seohyun ruined the analysis. “Though you could have added something positive to it or you could have sugar-coated the morbidity. It is pointless to proceed from here. Class dismissed.”
“Really? But we still have thirty minutes!” Kris asked the teacher and quickly added after sensing the icy stares from his classmates. “Not that I’m complaining but I just want to be sure.”
“Oh shut up, Kris!” Myungsoo shook his head at his cousin’s stupidity.
“I don’t know how you survive with a moron for a cousin. And a huge moron at that.” Luhan chuckled at his friend.
“I don’t know either.” Myungsoo laughed with his friend and the two of them picked their bags up and headed for the door, just like the rest of their classmates.
Seohyun had not anticipated that. She did not expect Luhan to eat lunch with her but she thought he would at least walk with her to the café while chatting or something. Anything but laughing and eating with Myungsoo. They used to do that as best friends but how did things get back to normal that fast?
“Correct me if I’m wrong but a few days ago, Luhan and Myungsoo were sharing glares and punches.” Yoona came up behind Seohyun who had stood in a daze while watching the two boys.
“And you finally notice.” Seohyun sighed as she picked up her bag.
“What is there to notice?”
“That Luhan and Myungsoo had come to class laughing like they did not fight. They joked together since the first period class like they used to.”
“They did? How come I did not see?”
“You were too busy drooling over Kris Janus.” Seohyun scowled at her.
“I did not!”
“You did so. Stop denying. I had to endure all my questions and my curiosity by myself because you were busy staring at Kris and blushing like a stupid teenager in love! It’s disgusting!”
“I hate to agree with Seohyun but I do.” Kris appeared beside the two girls wearing a big, triumphant grin, showing his gums to them. “But I’m not complaining. You’re welcome to stare at me all you want, Yoona. And don’t worry, I don’t agree with your friend when she said it’s disgusting. It’s actually cute.” He lovingly stared down at Yoona.
Yoona cast her head down to hide her face but Seohyun caught sight of her red cheeks.
“Like I said, disgusting.” Seohyun shook her head.
“How can you judge me so easily when all you did was watch Luhan for the past three hours!” Yoona snapped her head up upon hearing Seohyun’s comment. “You were not even listening to the teacher because you’re drowned in your own thoughts about Luhan, Luhan, and LUHAN!” She exploded.
“You were watching Luhan?” Kris’s eyes widened as he stared at Seohyun.
“Yes! And she was watching him like a creepy teenager in love!” Yoona was the one who answered.
“I am not in love!” Seohyun defensively snapped. “I’m just curious…” She trailed off as she looked away, trying to convince herself that she was telling the truth.
“Say whatever you wanna say. Nobody will believe you, not even yourself.” – Yoona
“Yeah, whatever.” Seohyun sighed, not wanting to deny anything anymore. “Go and have lunch with Kris, I understand. I’ll just go and look for Sooyoung-unnie.”
“Hey, are you sure?” Yoona asked her friend, feeling guilty about abandoning her for Kris. He was not even her boyfriend... yet.
“You can always join us.” Kris tried to say, although he wanted to be alone with Yoona. How could he advance on her when Seohyun’s with them? But he could not let Yoona feel burdened about having to choose between him and Seohyun.

“You don’t mean that, Kris. And besides, I bet Sooyoung-unnie already misses me.”

 

» » »

 

“Okay, what the hell?” Sooyoung gave Seohyun a long, hard stare as the latter stood in front of her, wearing a small smile. “Why are you suddenly sticking to me like a leech?”
“First, I’m too cool to be a leech. And we’re best friends! We’re supposed to be stuck together like glue.” Seohyun almost puked at her own words.
“T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter