Hot Coffee

Bewitched
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Seohyun slid her bedroom windows open, letting in the cool morning breeze of Toronto, Ontario Canada. The temperature was way cooler in Seoul but she preferred Canada a lot better. She was glad they moved there when her cousin, Jessica, got a job at a Korean University in Toronto. Coincidentally, their small business in Seoul was about to go bankrupt. Their family decided to just move to Canada and start over. Hopefully, Jessica’s salary could feed all four mouths and if they were luckier, Seohyun could find a job and work after school hours.


Her sentimental moment was disturbed when Jessica came in without warning and dragged her out of the room, down the stairs, and almost out of the house.


“Ladies! You’re not going anywhere without breakfast.” Jessica’s mom, Fiona, called to them when she saw them bolting for the door.


“Mom, we’re late!” Jessica reasoned.


“Late?! You’re not fooling anybody, young lady. It’s six in the morning!” Fiona pointed out.


Smirking, Seohyun broke free from Jessica’s grip and went after Fiona to the kitchen.


“What do we have for breakfast?” Seohyun asked, sitting down on a chair.


“Hams and eggs.” Seohyun’s mom, Flora, was the one who answered as she emerged from behind the kitchen counter to place a tray of milk, bread, hams, and eggs on the dining table.


Fiona and Flora were twins.


“Why were you both in a hurry?” Flora asked the two ladies.


“Correction: Shica-unni’s in a hurry; I am not.” Seohyun started. “We just happen to research about a bunch of cute guys hanging at the cafeteria every morning. Unnie says she wanted to look for a guy for me, but I know what she was planning exactly―”


Jessica covered Seohyun’s mouth with her palm before she could finish her sentence.


“I must come to school earlier than most students if I wanted to become a responsible Secretary to the Dean. And I do not wish to be fired on my first day of work. AND BESIDES, you should not be sharing our boy-talks with our moms, Seohyun! Are you not disgusted?” Jessica exclaimed in exaggeration, finding her cousin’s attitude unbelieving.


Laughing, Seohyun removed her cousin’s hand from and shrugged. “No, I’m not.”


“Oh, I shouldn’t have asked you!” Jessica sighed in defeat. “Do you know why you never had a boyfriend, ever?”


“Yes, I do. Because I’m too smart for boys.” ― Seohyun


“Yes, You’re too smart, but no, you’re not too smart for boys. Because you’re too smart and intelligent that you turned into a boring, blunt, know-it-all snob!”


“I have no regrets. Boys are rubbish.”


“Just because our dads left us doesn’t mean all boys are like them!” Jessica exploded, unable to stop the words from escaping her tongue.


Fiona and Flora gasped at Jessica’s harsh words. Seohyun did not even flinch. She was so used to it that she simply did not anymore care.


An English businessman in Seoul got Fiona pregnant and as soon as he learned about the pregnancy, he left Korea without any trace. Jessica came into the world without a father. Two years later, Flora had Seohyun because of an affair with a married man whom Seohyun knew nothing about.


Jessica and Seohyun grew up with only their moms as parents. They were a family like that – two moms and two daughters. It never bothered Seohyun, It was actually cool living without a strict father who would forbid her from going out with boys and staying up all night for parties. Neither Fiona nor Flora forbade the girls from these. Seohyun just did not need forbidding because she had never been interested in those stuffs anyway. Simply put, Seohyun was cool about not having a father because she thought a father’s purpose in a family is to be the disciplinarian, and she did not need one.


Perhaps, her cousin was right. Seohyun thought that she probably was a boring, blunt, know-it-all snob. She was mature for her age and she was happy with that. At least she was assured that she will not end up like her mom and aunt. She was assured that she will never cry because of a stupid boy.
Seohyun also never asked about her father. She was doing fine without him; however, she had always felt this emptiness, like she was missing half of herself.


“You should try dating. Find your other half, your soul mate.”  Jessica had suggested when Seohyun opened up to her.


Still, Seohyun stood firm on her grounds and refused to believe that she was missing a love life. She still thought she did not need a boy. What she really wondered was if she had siblings.

 

 

 

 

The cousins arrived in school at seven in the morning.


“Hurry up!” Jessica urged the younger girl.


They ran to the cafeteria and found it crowded with students.


“He’s not here anymore.” Jessica sighed, her enthusiasm deflating.


The actual reason why she was in a hurry to go to school was to stalk her new prospective, Lay Nixon, a Korean-Canadian college sophomore at the same institution where she was working, Sooman University. According to their source, Oh Sehun, a Canadian immigrant who knew Jessica and Seohyun long ago back in Seoul, Lay Nixon was one of the wealthiest kids in school - gorgeous, talented, smart, and popular. Jessica knew that life for them would not be easy in Canada and she did not mind if she used a medieval strategy of surviving: gold digging. It seemed like dirty work but she did not plan on getting serious with the whole gold-digging-affair anyway. She just thought she might as well do something fun.


Lay Nixon often drank coffee at the school cafeteria at six in the morning and Sehun advised Jessica to be there on the first day and promised to facilitate their meeting.


“I told you we should’ve come earlier.” Jessica whined.


“A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter