Chapter 39 (Final)

Soulmates

  Warm. 
  The kind of comforting warmth you feel when someone you love smiles at you, when they embrace you in their arms. 
  It was the kind of warmth that seeped through your skin and straight to your heart, making you unsteady on your feet as you blushed. 
  It was the warmth of the sun as you sit in an open field, the clouds rolling by as the sun washed over you. 
  It had been warm, the past few weeks. But it wasn't easy.
  For Sungjong, it wasn't easy to open up his heart. Every time he tried there always seemed to be this voice, taunting him, driving him back into his makeshift hell of insecurities and fear. It wasn't easy, breaking out of the claws that held him in place and into Myungsoo's wings. It wasn't easy, constantly battling with his mind and going against what his told him to do and following his heart that yearned for Myungsoo's love. It wasn't easy at all. 
  For Myungsoo, it wasn't easy being unable to do anything. Always waking up to Sungjong sobbing in his arms, not being able to do anything except hold and comfort the younger boy. It wasn't easy, wanting to take away the pain but being powerless to do so. It wasn't easy, loving someone so broken. It wasn't easy at all. 
  But Sungjong, he grabbed onto the faint ray of hope as he scrambled through the darkness that suffocated him, until the light grew brighter and brighter until all Sungjong could feel were the unspoken words between the two of them. Words of comfort, words of hope, words of love. 
  And Myungsoo? He bestowed Sungjong with the gentlest of love, and held him together until the thoughts of his past became like his scars; fading thin lines he barely remembered. 
  Their love was beautiful, fragile, precious. 
  Like any others. 

  "Myungsoo, come over here!" Sungjong yelled excitedly, beckoning the older boy from across the shop. Myungsoo blinked once, straightening his back from where he was leaning forward and walked over. 
  "Yes?" Myungsoo asked, letting out a sound of surprise as Sungjong grabbed his arm, pulling him forward. 
  "Do you think Seonkyu will like this?" Sungjong asked, pointing at a small ship in a bottle snow globe. Myungsoo shrugged. 
  "I don't know, he's your brother," Myungsoo said, attempting to walk off to find something for Moonsoo when the hand around his arm pulled him back. He felt a small slap to his shoulder and winced, pouting at Sungjong as he rubbed his shoulder. 
  "What was that for?" He whined, moving to backhug Sungjong in an attempt to appease him. Sungjong snorted, though the sparkle in his eyes told Myungsoo that he wasn't angry. 
  "You're supposed to help me! Besides, hasn't Seonkyu been your neighbour for like, ages?" Sungjong asked, grabbing the bottle and inspecting it closely. Myungsoo sighed. 
  "It was so much nicer when you kept your sassy side to yourself," he teased. Although it was meant as a joke, the way fear flickered in Sungjong's eyes had Myungsoo's heart beating fast. 
  "Is that so?" Sungjong asked, voice guarded as he walked towards the counter, paying and leaving without a glance in Myungsoo's direction. 
  Myungsoo knew he had messed up. 

  It was awkward. 
  Living in the same house, sharing the same room; even sleeping on the same bed and yet not saying a word to each other. The only times they conversed, it was mostly filled with Myungsoo attempting to speak and Sungjong cutting him off with a grunt. 
  It was getting to the point that even their normally clueless brothers were starting to notice. 
  "Honestly, what did you do to make Sungjong-hyung look like he's going to kill you all the time?" Moonsoo asked as Sungjong left the room, Myungsoo having only just entered. The latter only sighed, shaking his head as he sat down on the couch. 
  Telling his brother would only earn him disappointed gazes, and he was feeling plenty of that towards himself already. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked towards Moonsoo, who wore an encouraging smile. 
  "I hope it gets resolved soon. Besides, Sungjong-hyung is such an angel it's a miracle he's stayed so mad at you." Moonsoo teased. Myungsoo let a small smile grace his face. 
  An angel. Yes, that fit Sungjong perfectly. 

  A nightmare. Sungjong was having a nightmare. The first after a long time. 
  The realisation hit Myungsoo like a truck and soon he was sitting up quickly, looking over at Sungjong's side of the bed. The younger was still asleep, curled in on himself as he whimpered in his sleep. Quickly, Myungsoo wrapped his arms around the smaller body and ran one hand up and down the back, the other tangled in hair. 
  "Sungjong, it's okay. Everything is okay..." Myungsoo whispered into Sungjong's ear. Though Sungjong had not roused from his sleep, he seemed to relax at Myungsoo's words and nuzzle his face into Myungsoo's chest, making the older boy blush. He closed his eyes, savouring the moment. 

  When he woke up, Sungjong was no longer in his arms. Sighing, he got out of bed, ready to face another day of attempting to win Sungjong back when the door opened, revealing a fully dressed Sungjong. 
  "Get ready, we're going out." Sungjong said quickly, turning around and walking away. Confused, Myungsoo pulled on his clothes as quickly as he could with all the layers he had to pull on. 
  It was unusual for Sungjong to suggest an outing, and it had Myungsoo excited and fearful of what the former had in mind. 
  So the last thing he expected was to find himself in the ramen shop Myungsoo had taken Sungjong to. He eyed Sungjong as he flipped through the menu indifferently, although he ordered the same thing he always did. 
  And that was when Myungsoo realised the younger had probably been trying to find an excuse to avoid talking to him. 
  They ate in silence and left in silence. 
  Still very much confused by -and admittedly a little tired of- Sungjong's behaviour, he frowned when he was stopped outside a clothing store. He was told to wait, and tapped his feet impatiently as he waited for Sungjong. 
  A week of silence did some damage to Myungsoo's otherwise endless patience. That's why when Sungjong stepped out, he snapped. 
  "Look, if you're going to continue giving me the silent treatment-" But Myungsoo cut himself off as Sungjong paid his words no heed, reaching into the bag and pulling out a red scarf. 
  Quietly, he wrapped the scarf around Myungsoo, eyes concentrated on his hands as Myungsoo looked at him, stunned. He stepped back to look at his handiwork, smiling a little before gently holding Myungsoo's hand. 
  "I'm sorry, about the way I've been treating you. I was just... So scared. I didn't know if you liked the person who I became, didn't know if you wanted the person I was before back. I was so scared I didn't want to talk to you. Just one look at you had me back to doubting your love for you. And- and even though I saw how much it was hurting you, I just couldn't bring myself to break free from the web of insecurities." Sungjong whispered, staring straight at Myungsoo's chest as tears rolled down his cheeks. Heart twisting, Myungsoo brought his hands up, thumbs rubbing the tears away. Sungjong tilted his head to look at him. 
  "But last night... Last night I dreamt that you left me, angered by my behaviour towards you. I was so lost. I felt as if my world was falling apart and like I was drowning." Suddenly, Sungjong's hands were grabbing at Myungsoo's, eyes suddenly shining with clarity. Myungsoo's breath hitched as Sungong took one step forward, eyes staring deep into his. 
  "I love you, Myungsoo." He breathed. Before Myungsoo even had time to react to the words, Sungjong was leaning forward, and Myungsoo felt lips against his. 
  Legends say that when two Soulmates fully accept one another into their hearts, both bracelets fall off, because they didn't need such an accessory to bind them together. 
  Both their bracelets fell. 

  In Gwangju, two Mages were having tea together when their clocks rang. They checked it, before smiling at each other. 
  "Your's has finally given up, I see. Must have given mine a ton of grief," the female one said, drinking from her cup. The male Mage laughed, still staring at his watch that showed Sungjong and Myungsoo kissing in the street, snow starting to fall around them on the Christmas Eve. 
  "He finally opened his heart." 
  
A/N: AND ITS DONE! HOW WAS THE STORY?!?! COMMENT COMMENT! I'm thinking of writing an epilogue after this, what do you think?
I'm honestly not ready to let go of this story yet.  ㅠㅠ How about you guys, do let me know what you thought of this story