Chapter 35 (Waking Up)

Soulmates

  Nightmares. 
  They continuously plagued him after that day. Incessantly, night after night, Sungjong would startle awake, tears streaming down his face. Many a times he would do as he did the first time; look for his blade. In his frantic state, the thought of waking Myungsoo up was the last thing he wanted to do. Because, after waking up from all those horrible words, was he actually going to prove that he was a nuisance to Myungsoo?
  But it always ended the same way, with Myungsoo fingers gently wrapping themselves around his wrists, tugging him forward into an embrace until his sobs died down. 
  Today was no different, in the sense that the nightmares still startled him awake. 
  But it was definitely different. 
  Because this time, the feeling of desperation, uselessness, everything welled up in him with a greater force than it normally would. It had him laying there, on his back, eyes lifeless as he stared up at the ceiling. He barely registered the arms around his waist, Myungsoo's attempt in making sure Sungjong wouldn't go away without waking him up. 
  In that moment though, Sungjong was done. The feeling of cutting just disappeared. The feeling of getting out of bed seemed of too much effort. The will to live just wasn't there. 
  It had been a long time, since Sungjong felt like this. He felt like how he felt back before he started cutting. 
  He felt empty. 
  And in his mind, he himself couldn't comprehend why. The past week since the first nightmare had gone so well. 
  Myungsoo treated Sungjong with utmost care, as if he was a skill fully and carefully structured glass piece. He brought Sungjong out on dates and gifted him a teddy bear. He and Myungsoo made many batches of ice cream and ordered large amounts of chicken and- All of those moments, he had smiled genuinely. 
  He had felt happy, content, being with Myungsoo. All his thoughts from before about how Soulmates destroyed people had vanished from his mind in the past week as Myungsoo enveloped him in the warm embrace of his love, gently protecting him during the times he needed it the most. 
  Sungjong was happy, Sungjong was content. 
  So why did he feel so lifeless...? Why did he feel the way he did whenever he woke up on the floor, bruised and battered after a beating from his mother.? Why did he feel so... Weak?
  Slowly and carefully, he detached Myungsoo's hands, shifting the older's body in what he hoped was a comfortable position. He grabbed a piece of paper and wrote something down, leaving it on the dining table. And with that, he grabbed his phone, his wallet, and walked out. 

  It felt weird. 
  That was the first thought that came to Myungsoo's mind when he first woke up, adjusting himself into a more comfortable position on the bed. He yawned, burying his face into his pillow and blindly reaching his arms out to hug Sungjong. 
  Only he felt nothing. 
  Sleepily, Myungsoo opened his eyes and blinked, making a sound when he realised that Sungjong was missing. Seating up slowly, he sighed as he leaned back against the wall of Sungjong's bed. 
  He and Moonsoo had practically moved into the Lee residence. It was convenient, especially since he had wanted to make sure Sungjong was alright after his first nightmare. 
  He dragged his heavy body out of bed, the name of his soulmate rolling off his lips as he rubbed his eyes. He ended up in the living room, making a confused sound when he realised it was quiet, besides the faint snores of their younger brothers from the other room. 
  He noticed a piece of paper on the table and walked forward. He picked it up, brows furrowing as he read it. 
  'I went out, will be back in a bit. -Sungjong' it said. Worried, Myungsoo took out his phone and dialled Sungjong's number, frowning when it went straight to voicemail. 
  He calmed himself down, willing himself to believe that Sungjong was alright. He might be his soulmate but there must be a limit to how intrusive he can get on the younger's life. 
  So he waited. He cleaned the house, fed Seonkyu and Moonsoo, did the laundry, until it was late in the evening. 
  And that was then Myungsoo realised that he hadn't woken up at night, which means that Sungjong either didn't have a nightmare, or didn't wake Myungsoo up. 
  Myungsoo's guess was the latter, and he dropped the plate in his hands. 

A/N: I promised an update during the weekends! My my I can see the story ending in a few chapters it makes me excited but sad at the same time. Do let me know what you think of the chapter and COMMENT! COMMENT AND I WRITE FASTER!