Chapter 37 (Flames)

Soulmates

  Worry, panic, anger, those were some of the many emotions Myungsoo felt as he walked away from the police station, Seonkyu and Moonsoo right behind him. 
  They had made their way to the nearest police station in hopes of filing for a missing person report, only to find out that since Sungjong was 16 and haven't been gone for more than 24 hours, they are not able to count it as a missing person.  
  Myungsoo stopped, raising a hand to bang it against the side lamp, gaining many judgemental eyes but he didn't care. Sungjong had left and he- he couldn't do anything about it. 
  "Hyung..." Moonsoo whimpered as he wrapped his arms around his brother, in an attempt to comfort him. Myungsoo bit his lip, trying not to let the tears flow freely and make him appear weak. He was the oldest among the three of them, he had to stay strong. 
  But he couldn't. That's why when the first tear rolled down his cheek, the second one followed right after until Myungsoo was a sobbing mess on the ground. 
  "I- I just don't understand...! Normally I wake up whenever he has a nightmare, but this time why didn't I?! I'm so- I'm so useless...!" He sobbed, fist repeatedly hitting the ground. Fingers wrapped around his hand, stopping him from continuing. Looking up with tearful eyes, he stared straight into Seonkyu's wavering ones. 
  "I- I think I know where he went. It's a long stretch th-" Seonkyu couldn't even finish his sentence before hands were on his shoulders, shaking him. 
  "Where?! Where is he?!" Myungsoo asked, eyes wild as he shook Seonkyu. Seonkyu sighed. 
  "It's a long stretch but..." 

'Help me check where Sungjong used to live.'

  'Message sent'

  Myungsoo walked off the train, taking in the surroundings. It was a somewhat quiet place, or maybe that was because it was late. Checking his phone, he hailed a cab and read aloud the address to the driver. He slumped back into the seat and looked out the window, observing. 
  'So this is where he grew up...' Myungsoo thought. It seemed like a cozy place, much unlike Seoul. 
  He payed the driver and stepped out of the car, staring at the dark house. According to his uncle, nobody had bought over the house, so Sungjong technically still had rights over it. Grabbing the gate, he was relieved to find it open and pushed it. 
  Using his phone as a flashlight, he walked around, calling Sungjong's name until he found him, standing in the backyard of the house. 
  "Sungjong." He called, and the mentioned seemed to startle out of his thoughts. He turned his head, and Myungsoo was shocked when he realised how empty, how lifeless Sungjong seemed. 
  With hesitant steps, Myungsoo walked until he was right beside Sungjong, both their shoulders brushing. 
  "You have me the scars of my life, you know?" Myungsoo tried, intending for it to be a joke. Sungjong shuffled his feet, sighing. 
  "I'm sorry, I meant to get back by afternoon but... I can't seem to." Sungjong admitted, staring up at the building in front of them. Lacing his fingers with Sungjong, Myungsoo puffed his cheeks. 
  "You want to tell me what's wrong?" He probed, fingers crossed as a few silent seconds passed between them. Myungsoo had lost almost all hope of Sungjong opening up to him when the younger nodded his head, gently pulling him down until both sat on the floor. 
  "Where should I start?" Sungjong asked seriously, fingers playing with the ends of his night clothes. 
  "Anywhere you want to," Myungsoo answered, thumb rubbing the back of Sungjong's Palm soothingly. 
  "I came here because... I wanted to remind myself." Sungjong started. Myungsoo frowned at this. 
  "Remind yourself about what?" He asked gently. Sungjong took a deep breath. 
  "When I woke up last night... The urge to cut wasn't there. What was there, was the urge to just take my own life. I was so tired of the nightmares, so tired of life that I couldn't even cry if I wanted to. I felt that broken." Sungjong looked up now, closing his eyes. 
  "But- why didn't you-?!"
  "I didn't wake you up because I didn't want you to see me in that state," Sungjong cut him off, stunning Myungsoo, "I didn't want you to see me with no life in me and no will to live. It would hurt, wouldn't it, especially since I'm your soulmate." 
  Myungsoo clenched his hand and looked away, because as much as he would like to deny Sungjong's accusation, it was true. Myungsoo didn't want to see Sungjong like that, the mere thought of it made him sick.  
  "When I first left the house, my intention was to kill myself. To fully, without fail, erase my existence in this world. But for some reason I brought my wallet, and inside it was the key to this house. It was ironic, how in what I thought would be my final moments, I was consumed by the need to visit the place in which most of my horrible memories occurred." Sungjong chuckled sadly to himself. At this point, all Myungsoo was doing was gripping Sungjong's hand tightly in his. 
  "And when I reached here, I just sat on the ground and thought about everything. My parents, my mother, the beatings, everything I went through. How it seemed as if the world I was living in, my world with you, was nothing but a dream. I feared that I was going to wake up on the floor of this house again without you to hold me until my tears subsided. And it was then I realised. I didn't want to live in a world without you. I didn't want to live in a world where I wouldn't be able to eat your ice cream, a world where your hugs don't exist. I realised I didn't want to die if you weren't there for me when I do." Sungjong's voice was quivering, unshed tears in his eyes. 
  "But at the same time, I'm so, so scared. Being alone, I started relating our relationship to everything that has happened to me. And as crazy as it would seem, I related it to the fire incident the most. I told you before that I had been glad to see the house go. But if it were our relationship, I really don't think I will be happy. I'm afraid that our relationship will end up like that, in flames. That I won't be able to escape from the flames of your embrace. I'm so scared of relying on you, of you becoming my everything. I'm just so, so scared...!" Sungjong chocked, tears falling from his cheeks as he sobbed. Quickly, Myungsoo wrapped his arms around the younger, fighting back tears of his own. 
  "Please, I'm sorry. I won't run away again but please don't give up on me. Please..." Sungjong cried, and Myungsoo cooed softly in his ear.   
  "It's alright, it's alright. Let's get you home."

A/N: PHEW! There were like ten comments so here you guys go! Do let me know what you think of the chapter. Will try to update soon, until next time! (Yay comment comment!)