Chapter 26 (Forgive, not Forget)

Soulmates

  Haphephobia. 
  When the word first left the doctor's mouth, it had left Myungsoo confused, not knowing what it meant. But when the doctor explained the term, it would be an understatement to say that Myungsoo's heart broke. 
  It shattered. 
  Haphephobia; a rare phobia of being touched. Triggered by being once again, the doctor said it was only normal for Sungjong to go through some withdrawal, but she never expected him to develop Haphephobia, simply because she had never witnessed a patient with it before. 
  Myungsoo had asked her if there was any way to cure it, and the words 'It depends on the situation' ringed in his head. 
  Now, Myungsoo was sitting beside Sungjong's bed, contemplating if he should leave. He was quite sure the last person Sungjong wanted to see would be him, especially with what Myungsoo put him through.
  Especially since the reason he met Howon was because of his parents, ultimately him. He groaned, putting his head in his hands as he leaned his elbows against his thighs in distress. 
  God, how he wanted to just stay where he was until Sungjong woke up and then they could talk; really talk about why Myungsoo did things the way he did. And of course, where this out them. 
  But he was such a coward. He didn't want to be here when Sungjong was mad at him, didn't want to Sungjong to step on the shattered pieces of his heart. 
  That's why when he heard a small sigh, he froze, peeking from behind his fingers as Sungjong yawned - very cutely - and rubbed his eyes. He blinked slowly, before he caught sight of Myungsoo. 
  "Myungsoo?" Sungjong voiced, and Myungsoo breathed deeply as he sat up straight, sending a small to the younger's way. 
  "Hi, are you feeling better?" Myungsoo asked. Sungjong nodded his head as he sat up, movements cautious under Myungsoo's intense gaze. 
  "W-why are you here? D-don't you h-hate me?" Sungjong stuttered out, fingers playing with the blanket covering his arms. Myungsoo pursed his lips, running a hand through his hair as he tried to calm his heart. 
  "Sungjong I don't hate you. I never will. I just- How do I even begin to explain?" Myungsoo distressed, rubbing his hand against his face. Sungjong narrowed his eyes. 
  "What? You feel too ashamed of yourself? Well you can go out and feel sorry for yourself then, don't do it in my presence." Sungjong told him coldly, causing Myungsoo to freeze. Never, ever had he heard Sungjong speak in such a tone. He didn't even know Sungjong was capable of it. 
  "No! Please, listen to me." Myungsoo pleaded, reaching forward to take Sungjong's hand on instinct when he stopped, hand hovering above Sungjong's as the younger stared back at him with a flicker of fear in his eyes. Immediately, Myungsoo pulled back his hand and sighed. 
  "It was arranged, my supposed marriage with Howon. My father wanted me to marry someone of the same status as us, and also thought that Moonsoo and us having Soulmates from the same family was disgusting; weird. I didn't want to, God knows how many times I wanted to just stop and apologise to you. But I couldn't. Not when they threatened to kill you. At the time I thought: As long as Sungjong was alive, I will be okay with whatever happens. But no, I couldn't. Not when I saw you laying on the floor, surrounded by a pool of your own blood. I hate myself for what I did to you. It's even because of me that you are in this state now. If only I had seen through Howon. If only..." Myungsoo choked off, tears falling from his face as he hicupped. 
  Sungjong blinked, fingers running up and down his scars under the blanket. So Myungsoo had seen them, huh?
  "So, what do you suggest we do? I have Haphephobia again, don't I?" Sungjong asked. Myungsoo stopped. 
  "Again?" He asked. Sungjong nodded his head, staring up at the ceiling. 
  "I got it when Howon first started me when we were younger. But I got used to it after a while and it faded after a while. Now though... This is different. I felt it before." Sungjong murmured. 
  Myungsoo's mind blanked for a moment. Howon and Sungjong knew each other... And Howon had-! 
  "I'm going to ing kill him!" Myungsoo growled, thoughts already having escalated to him strangling Howon. When Sungjong flinched though, he calmed himself down. 
  "Sungjong, can we start over?" Myungsoo asked timidly. Sungjong looked up at him, eyes wary and Myungsoo's heart beat quickened as images of rejection ran through his mind. 
  "P-please! I know I hurt you but God, I love you so much it's unreal. I want to take you on dates, make you smile and make you laugh and just be your soulmate. Your Haphephobia may restrict me from kissing and hugging and touching you but honestly as long as I can be near you I'm alright. So please, Sungjong, I won't hurt you agai-"
  "Okay." The response was so quiet that Myungsoo barely heard it. But when Myungsoo finally processed the word, he paused, heart skipping a beat. 
  "O-okay?" He asked. 
  "Okay," Sungjong said, more confident despite the faint flush on his cheeks, "I'm not saying that I will ever forget what you did to me but I guess I can forgive you and... Let you woo me again."
  The shy, crooked smile Sungjong sent Myungsoo made him feel lighter than he did for what seemed like forever. 
  Despite Sungjong having sent him a smile earlier, it was the wrong time and wrong place. 
  Now though, Myungsoo would happily consider it a smile. 
  The first Sungjong has ever produced in the time he has known the younger. 

A/N: Sorry for the long wait! I thought I would be able to post chapters at a normal rate but NOOOOO I have a band performance coming up and I'm dying from the stress *dies* Anyway, hope you guys liked this written on a spur chapter! Comments are loved😜