Closer

A Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5.10 | Closer

 

 

 

 "Wait -- Let me continue my words first!" Seohyun got scared with the sudden outburst by Yoona. Her heart literally just jump in surprised. "Please?" 

 

Yoona however did not calm down. She's staring at the younger girl intensely. Her thoughts about her father making another family just seem true? Or what? Yet, she remained quiet, as she couldn't still get it. She just quietly ushered her to continue. She needs explanation badly.

 

"He did run away because of that. B-But... Doctor Im. He can't adopt me. It was his proposal at first, but I declined. But too late, my brother already run away... I-I don't want to change my surname you know. Just because I'm orphan now doesn't mean I have to be adopted. My surname has to remain, as this is the only thing I have from my parents. I can't replace them." Seohyun explained, hoping Yoona would now calm down. She can feel her growing mad over her. "We're not siblings in any files... in the first place." She added, lowly.

 

"Then, who is now taking care of your medication? If you're not adopted... then who?" Yoona breathed out in relief to hear the younger girl's explanation. But it still confuses her.

 

Seohyun looked away. "Your father." She's too shy to admit it to someone who is close to Doctor Im. 

 

"How can he..."

 

"Despite of my decision, he still remains to be like my father figure. I want to decline it first, but he insist. So I end up accepting his offer. I can't decline because all the savings I have and from my parents bank account have gone easily. It wasn't enough to continue my medication. But... the moment I will recover from this, I promise to him I will repay everything he had done for me. Everything that he spend for me. I'm sorry... I think I just made you feel like I've stolen your father. But, can you blame me? I have no one in my side now... I hope you don't feel like I've stolen him." Seohyun pause as she felt her heart heavy and eyes are hinting for tears. But she can't hold it back and let it drop. She trembles, wiping it off. "I'm so sorry. I shouldn't be crying - I shouldn't be..." she paused and looked at Yoona, who just sat at the edge of the bed. She's not saying anything. Thus, she can see she's also tearing up.

 

"I'm sorry... I almost judge you." Yoona whispered to herself. "You know to tell you the truth... I never really liked his job. Because... he has no more time for me... and to the family. I tried to understand, but I end up not. I hate him, don't you know that?"

 

Seohyun looked down to her lap. She felt more heavy in her chest, listening to Yoona's sadness. The bubbly kid she meet early this morning suddenly showing her sadness to her. It feels so... odd. But at the same time, she understands her point.

 

"I hate him that he loves his work than me." Yoona confessed her feelings, covering to suppress her sob. She tried to calm down, and continue. "He left us for two years and just came back without any explanation except for he left for work. But I don't think its because of that. I think it's because he has another family. I can totally feel it."

 

"I don't know about that. But... Where did he go when he was not in your side?" Asked Seohyun, carefully. She so wanted to reach for her comfort her at least. But she can't even move with her heavy emotions at the moment.

 

"London. Mom told me because of a work. During those 2 years, he missed my graduation. He missed the opening of my shop. And he missed spending important Holidays with us. He missed 2 years of my birthday. It would have been okay if he tried to contact us. But no, not even a miss call. I hate him so much that I sometimes don't like seeing him around. If you always like seeing him, then I hate to see him."

 

"2 years. 2 years of medication in London because of my stage 3 cancer. I almost thought I couldn't make it. But because of Doctor Im's dedication and the help of the Doctors there... I'm still surviving. I've never realize, Doctor Im have forgotten his daughter back in Seoul. I'm sorry to hear that. I'm so sorry, Yoong."

 

It took a little while before Yoona understood what Seohyun just told her. "Come again? What did you said?" She asked in a breathless voice.

 

Slowly looking up to meet Yoona's teary eyes again, Seohyun nodded slowly her head. She bit her bottom lip briefly and took a deep breath to gain another courage to continue. "He... He brought me to London. Be-Because... He wanted me to survive. He wanted me to continue my life like the way it is. I don't know where did you... Heard the news or where did it came from. But during those two years he's not in Seoul. He never see anyone except me and the Doctors. So I think, hate me instead of your father. It was because of me you mossed him for two years of your life." She ended it with a sigh, as she shamelessly looked down to her lap. She can expect for the worse already.

 

Yoona however stayed quiet, as she processed the information into her brain. Her eyes traveled down, she saw the clock changing to 11:11. She felt her heart more heavy when she was reminded by her first wish.

 

-

 

"Yoona!!"

 

6 years old Yoona tilt her head to the right, as soon as she heard her father's voice, calling out for her. "Appa?!" she brightly responded.

 

Mr Im crouch down in front of his daughter who was sitting on the bench, under the Sakura Tree. He then opened his palms. Pieces of candy wrapper was in it. Little Yoona creased her brows towards him. "Do you know what time is it now?"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"It's Eleven: 11. Make a wish."

 

"Chincha?"

 

"So close your eyes and think for a wish."

 

"Why?"

 

"Appa will make a magic."

 

"Will it come true?"

 

"Yup. So close your eyes honey."

 

Got excited, Yoona close her eyes and think of her wish. A couple of seconds later, she can feel something from above, falling freely. She wants to open her eyes but she heard her father says,

 

"A wish will come true to those who have a good heart. Wish~ Wish~ Wish~

 

She giggles and continue chanting the word in her brain.

 

The moment she opened her eyes, a flushy stuff toy of rilakkuma greeted her eyes. "Omo. Rilakkuma?!!!" She literally hug it and happily squeezed it.

 

"I told you. Your wish will come true."And there was her father, smiling so happily at her.

 

-

 

A bitter smile spread across Yoona's face. Her father, who taught her about the 12 wishes, never failed to make her smile.

 

"It's eleven:11, Make a wish Hyun."

 

Seohyun slightly widened her eyes when she heard Yoona say the words. She looked at her, puzzled. "What?"

 

"My father taught me about the 12 wishes in a year. And you can only wish during eleven:11 - day or night. So make a wish." Yoona flashed a warm smile to Seohyun. Though deep inside, her heart is still so heavy. She can't help not to share what she knew about 'A wish'.

 

Seohyun smiled back, but it was weak. "I don't... Exactly know what to wish... Except for my... "

 

"No. Don't say it. Wait." Yoona quickly stop Seohyun. Instinctively, she got up and look around in search for something.

 

"What... Are you doing?" Seohyun is bewildered.

 

"Do you have a paper and a pen?"

 

"Ne?"

 

"Do you have?" Yoona firmly stated, looking into Seohyun's eyes seriously.

 

The younger girl trailed off as she answered, "In... In my closet. Basically that door." She pointed, to the door next to the toilet's door.

 

Yoona did not waste second and quickly entered the room. She was surprised that it wasn't a closet only. There's also a study table and a couch. She picked up the blank paper on the table and a pen. As she went back, she handed them to Seohyun.

 

"Write your first wish." Yoona instructed.

 

"First? So there's more?"

 

"I just told you 12 wishes right? So go on. Make sure its not that special. I mean, I believe, the last wish should be the most important and most special." 

 

Seohyun smiled. Couldn't believe what is going on. But she hoper, Yoona have understand what she told her earlier. Taking the pen and the paper, she was about to write it down when Yoona closes her eyes. "What are you doing this time?" 

 

"I don't want to peek." Says Yoona, softly.

 

Convinced, Seohyun complied with what Yoona have told her. She wrote what comes to her mind first. Its not the same as what she supposedly want to share earlier, since Yoona says, the last one should be the most special and important she wanna wish.

 

Done, she creased her brows upojn finding the doe-eyed girl still closing her eyes. "Hey, its done." 

 

"Done?" Yoona opened her eyes instantly.

 

"Yes. What will I do with this?"

 

'I don't have any scissor nor a tape her. What will I do?' Yoona is in trouble. She can't perform the usual she do with the wish.

 

"Hey. Were you listening?" Seohyun called out when she heard no response.

 

'Aish. This will do.' In Yoona's head before she said, "Crumple it." She took a glance to her watch, and there's only 20 seconds left before the minutes will change.

 

"Okay." Seohyun complied and handed it to the doe-eyed.

 

Yoona then put it into her fist and hold it up to Seohyun. "Blow on it."

 

"... " Seohyun's not sure. She stared at Yoona blankly.

 

"Blow on it and it will come true." Yoona explained further. She smiled wait for her to do it.

 

Seohyun just shyly blow on Yoona's fist softly. "What's next?"

 

"That's it. The magic was there - because you blow on it." Yoona stood up and approach the window. She opened it and throw the paper outside. She close it back before the cold wind could enter the room.

 

"Why did you do it?"

 

"So the magic will stay. The wind will blow on it. And the more the air blow on it, the more your wish will come true." Yoona reassuringly smiled, as she take her seat to the couch, rather than going back to Seohyun's bed.

 

"I see... " Seohyun nodded in understand. She looked outside and can see it's still snowing. "I hope Santa will get to read it then." She added with a smile in her face.

 

"Hyun~"

 

"Hmm?"

 

"Can I sleep here?" asked Yoona, letting out such a big yawn.

 

Seohyun was a bit surprised. "There? Why don't you sleep in your room?"

 

"I think it's more comfortable here. I told you, I can't sleep... in my room." Yoona sheepishly reasoned. She grab the pillow and lied down. "Goodnight?"

 

"Um... " Seohyun is out of words. "Okay." And decided to allow the doe-eyed. She smiled at her and quietly says, "Goodnight." She never thought Yoona would sleep in her ward. No one had ever done it. She's the first one. However, she can't still lay down. "Yoong?"

 

Yoona who is back facing the younger girl, just hummed. "Hmm?"

 

"About... about earlier."

 

"I should be sorry actually. But... let's just forget about it. Shall we?" answered Yoona in a mumble way. She close her eyes and is slowly drifting to sleep. The cry she did earlier must have help her to feel this. But at the same time, the atmosphere in Seohyun's ward is just too comfortable than in her room. It's as if, a special ward, she can feel her heart slowly calming down. She loved it.

 

"You don't hate me?" Seohyun quickly bit her tongue after letting out the question. She close her eyes tight, expecting for the worse answer. But she heard nothing but...a snore? Her eyes opened again, blinking it slowly but surely. "Yoong?" she called for her, but still loud snores can be heard. She let out a small giggle. She must be so sleepy already. "Goodnight." and so, she decided lie down. She pulled turned off the lights through the remote control on top of her night stand and pulled her covers under her chin and close her eyes to sleep.

 

30 minutes later, Yoona woke up - a force awaken because of her dream. Which reminds her of Seohyun's paper she throw outside. Getting up, she shake her head and pat her cheeks so many times to wake her up entirely. When she's satisfied, she tiptoed to Seohyun's bed and can see the girl is so deep in her slumber. Satisfied she won't wake up anytime soon, she left the ward and checks her watch; 11:35pm. The Hospital is of course full of lights. Only few hallways are turned off. It's quiet and only the television on the information desk is making a sound. When she caught Tiffany on the information desk, so awake, she lowered herself and decided to use the stairs.

 

Shortly, she arrived outside - to where she throws the paper. She keeps on looking up and then down, as she tried to locate Seohyun's ward. She keeps on moving sideways to the left, until she's convinced it's in the exact spot. She looked around the place for about a few minutes. She saw it 6 steps away from her standing position. Still crumpled like a ball.

 

'I feel ashamed because my hate for my father is just nothing. It was baseless. Its my fault as well because I didn't ask my father about this. But I understand now he has to go there without contacting us. It's hard to believe but I think... it's really him. I promise, I will try to open up to my father to be enlightened. But for now, I want to make you happy for doing this.' 

 

"Damn, forgot to bring my coat." She trembled out of coldness, as she picked up the paper. She decided to put it inside her jacket and runs back to the hospital, so she can check it more comfortably.

 

Sitting on the couch of the lounge, she opens the paper and check the wish Seohyun wrote: I want to eat Korean Ramen. 

 

"Oh. But... does the hospital gave this too? She probably wants to taste a different kind of a ramen." A smirk plastered in Yoona's face as an idea came to her mind.

 

 

____

 

 

6:30am. Yoona groaned and wipe the corner of her lips, as she tried to see her watch as well. She made a few blinks before she finally had a clear vision of Tiffany - who apparently woke her up. She grinned and wave at her like a drank girl.

 

"Yoona, you must go to the kitchen now!" Tiffany shouted the last word, to emphasize what she meant.

 

But instead of complying, Seohyun's face made Yoona to stay more in the couch. Her idiotic smile and Seohyun's smile towards her just made one more reason for her to cuddle with the pillow in her arms. "Hi, Hyun. I just realize, you look like an Angel. You're already making my morning." mumbles her unconsciously.

 

Seohyun's cheeks slowly turned red with Yoona's sudden call of her as an Angel.

 

"Im Yoona! Chef Choi will be mad if you keep your there!" Tiffany shouted even more, and shake Yoona's arm. Yet, Yoona simply giggles and stuck her tongue out towards her. Annoyed, Tiffany forcefully pulled Yoona up.

 

*thud*

 

"Yoong!"

 

"Yoona!" 

 

Seohyun and Tiffany gasps as soon as Yoona fell on the floor. But before they could check on her, the latter stands up and composes herself. 

 

"I'm up! I'm Up! Im Yoong is now Up! Hahahahaha!!!" Yoona did not wait for any reactions anymore as she rushed outside.

 

Tiffany and Seohyun was left flabbergasted. They exchange gazes - having the same innocent face. But the sudden knock broke their gazes from each other.

 

"I'll take it." says Tiffany, as she approached the door and open it. A delivery boy stood in front Seohyun's ward. "Um, what is it?" 

 

Seohyun followed casually and peek behind Tiffany.

 

"A delivery for Miss Seohyun?" The tall boy says.

 

"Chincha? From Who?" Seohyun excitedly replied. She stood next to Tiffany due to excitement. 

 

"Um, Can I walk in first? It's a food I am delivering." The delivery boy says with a charming smile.

 

"S-Sure." Seohyun and Tiffany make a way for him.

 

As the delivery boy walked inside, he put the metal box he is carrying to the table and open it. He picked up carefully the still so hot korean ramen and place it neatly to the table. Seohyun's eyes widened in surprised when she saw the food. Her stomach eventually groan out of crave. Her crave got even strong when she smelled the aroma from it - as soon as the cover was released.

 

"Who-Who... gave this?!!!" She can't believe that her wish last night was granted. She'd been longing to eat a ramen. This is really a good morning for her. What is more than awesome, the restaurant that is sending it to her, it's the famous restaurant of ramen. She almost want to tear up, if she didn't held it back.

 

"It wasn't posted here. But let me get your signature, Miss." The delivery boy handed a paper to Seohyun.

 

Without a doubt, the younger girl signed the paper. But before the delivery boy could leave, Tiffany blocked him.

 

"No. Hold on. Let me call Chef Choi to check on the food. Hyun, don't you ever touch the ramen yet." Tiffany said and left immediately.

 

Seohyun smiled at the tall guy, quiet awkward. 

 

"This seriously shouldn't be check though. You know our restaurant, right?"

 

"Yes. But... the hospital is just so strict, Oppa. So I hope you don't mind."

 

"Of course." 

 

*chuckles*

 

-

 

Shortly, Tiffany went back with Chef Choi. The taller girl looked at the delivery boy with a rising brows before she checks the food. She couldn't help it but her lips when she saw it. It looks so tasty. Yet, she can't be careless. So she uses her utensil she is carrying to have be the first one to taste it. Her eyes rolled up - as feels like she has tasted the best ramen in town. She looked back at the boy and checks his uniform. "No wonder." only to be proven that it came from a highly popular ramen restaurant in the city. 

 

"Who ordered to gave this to our patient?" Sooyoung asked with a firm voice.

 

"Um, I don't know. But it's for Miss Seo, Chef... Choi." The delivery boy reads Sooyoung's name tag.

 

"Chincha? Hmm, probably Seohyun's suitor?" Sooyoung eyed the mention girl teasingly.

 

"What?! I don't have any suitor, Chef Choi! I swear!" Seohyun strongly defends herself.

 

"Then who gave this?" Tiffany and Sooyoung exclaimed.

 

"Um, Just can you give it to her without any questions? Look, Miss Seo looks like so hungry now."

 

Seohyun giggles and nodded in confirmation. "Please? Chef Choi."

 

Tiffany and Sooyoung exchange gazes for a brief moment before Sooyoung decided, "Aigoo, Fine. The ramen is definitely specially made for you. I'm just wondering who gave this." She side-eyed the delivery boy, who only smiled at her.

 

"Hehe, I think I should go now." Quick, the latter grab his stuff and left the ward almost immediately.

 

"Alright. I'll comeback to the kitchen now." Sooyoung casually left as well. Whilst, Seohyun take the edge of her bed and eyed her ramen.

 

"That someone must have known your crave lately." Tiffany flashes Seohyun a smile. She can see it in Seohyun's eyes. She did not expect the food, but was happy to receive one.

 

"Who do you think it is, Nurse Hwang?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter