First Day

A Wish
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

3.10 | First Day

 

 

 

It's another brand new day -- and another bright day for Seo Family. Seohyun, 20 years of age however is more than bright, because it's the day she'd been waiting for. It's the day she's finally graduating from High School. It was such an achievement for her. Despite being absent from important classes and can only attend few class because she always get sick, her remarks are not that bad. She will finish High School as 3rd honor in their homeroom.

 

"Omma!!! Appa!!! hurry up Please!!!" So it's not surprising that it's only her voice is the highest. She felt like going to the Auditorium alone even, just so she won't be late. Lucky and her brother Chanyeol is also excited for her. He's already in the van, waiting for them. It's her who went back to check if their parents have already finished. But to her dismay, they seems to be still talking and did not mind what day is today? Or they're being so mean to her?

 

"Honey, we know what day is today. Just relax. Otherwise, you'll arrived there with your messy make-up." Mr. Seo said along with a heartfelt chuckle. "And it's just 2 hours only before the event could start." 

 

"Just hurry though. What if, there will be a traffic jam? Can you guys afford to walk all the way there?" pouted Seohyun, who can no longer contain her excitement.

 

Mrs. Seo can no longer say a thing as she ushered her husband to finish his meals. They soon finishes their meals so fast before their daughter could even scold them more. 

 

"Appa, just leave the dishes there! Let's get back on that later!" Seohyun said, as she drags her father with her. Mrs. Seo is chuckling, following her daughter and husband behind.

 

"Hold on." Mrs. Seo made sure to lock the door first before going with them. As soon as she closes the door, and buckle up, her husband never wasted a single second and drives off.

 

While they're in the road, all of them are singing to their favorite family song. Everyone is so immense, singing out so loud - as if it's only them in the road. Seohyun is especially happily singing the song. Almost even screaming. Chanyeol who is just next to her is making fun screaming on her ear. She can't help it and also does the same.

 

The Seo Family are like that for the past 30 minutes until they stop because of the traffic jam.

 

"No way." Seohyun sadly commented, heaving a sigh afterwards.

 

"How many hours left?"

 

"We have An hour and half to arrive there, Appa." answered Chanyeol, taking a glance to his own wrist watch.

 

"An hour and haf is enough. Honey, the traffic is not that heavy - Don't worry." Mr. Seo reassuringly smiled to his daughter, through the rare view mirror.

 

Seohyun puffs her hair and crossed her arms. She shrugs her shoulders, as she looked outside. 

 

"Yah, Noona. You want some?" Chanyeol offered chips towards his sister.

 

"Chanyeol, that's bad for your sister's health!" Mrs. Seo scolded her son immediately.

 

"Hehe, Sorry."

 

Seohyun audibly sigh, as she rolled her eyes. She can help it and feel sad because ever since she had been going to hospital because of stomach ache, she can no longer eat even junk foods. She can only eat the food that her Doctor allows her to. And of course, her mother's cook. She quietly pout her lips, as she turned to watch her brother, eating happily. She knock his head, only to receive a stuck of tongue. 

 

"See? We're moving now." Mr. Seo announces, as their car moves carefully. 

 

But before can they can move further, one car suddenly appeared in front, crashing on their own car so hard. Everything went back.

 

-

 

The next thing Seohyun opened her eyes, she's already in the hospital, barely could move her body. She was in major pain. Both in her arms and legs. She cried when she saw her left arm is being casted, and so as her right leg. She panic. She -- "Omma? Appa?!!! Where's Omma and Appa!!!" She freak out, as the memories of the crash flooded her brain. She keeps on moving violently. But soon, hands keep her still and sooner or later, her body relaxes. She felt like her eyes are going to close again. They injected to calm her down. "Omma... Appa... Channie... " She whispered her brother's name before she completely loses her consciousness. 

 

-

 

For the 2nd time she gained her consciousness, she received the most shocking news she ever could have.

 

"Your Parents, they died in the crash."

 

-

 

Seohyun hurriedly wiped her tears when she heard the door opens. She's staring down to her family's picture in her lap, couldn't able to hold her sadness and let the tears drop. Though she had accepted her fate, she certainly can't able to take it and be sad.

 

"Hey, Doctor Im." She fake a smile, towards the kind Doctor. One thing she's really always grateful, for meeting Doctor Im Bun Soo. The latter did not ask for any return money for treating her. She used to have this hard time to eat because of her stomach cancer, but ever since she met him, she can already do it.  Her used to be stage 3 cancer, have gone down to stage 2. But she's not still safe, as the latter says. But above all, He's really a good doctor. Too bad, she can't still  eat the food she want to. Otherwise, she will be infected. "I've meet your daughter earlier. She's not that bad. hehe."

 

Doctor Im pulled a chair and take his seat. "I haven't mention about her, right?"

 

"Yes." Seohyun simply replied.

 

Realizing the picture in his patient's hand, Doctor Im looked at Seohyun in the eyes intently. "Were you... "

 

"Oh." Seohyun flipped the picture to cover it up. "I just can't help it. I've met this little boy earlier with your daughter, it made me thought about my family. Especially my brother."

 

"Little boy? Minguk?"

 

Seohyun smiled. "Yes."

 

"Oh. He's Yoona's friend from her work."

 

"He's working?"

 

Doctor Im chuckled. "No. What I mean is, He is Yoona's friend. Song Minguk is her assistant's cousin. That boy is so naughty always going with his cousin, so She met him. Ever since that, the two always hang out."

 

"Whoa. That's so... cute."

 

"Yeah, well... anyway. Back to the topic. I never mentioned Yoona to you because I know, you will only miss your brother. You will only miss your family precisely. And it's not going to be healthy for you, Joohyun. I don't want to see it. But since you have already known her, I'll tell you about her a little as well. She's a bubbly kid." Doctor Im said along with his warm smile.

 

"Yeah, I can see it." Seohyun giggled. "I think she's like you too, Doctor Im."

 

"Quiet? Hehe. But why is she in your ward?"

 

"I've heard her say, she's hiding?"

 

"From who?"

 

"I think, you?"

 

Doctor Im pointed himself. "Me? Why would she hide?"

 

"I don't know. But that was adorable. Maybe she wants to surprise you?"

 

"Hmm, Maybe. But she seriously doesn't have to hide if she likes to visit me. Aigoo. So how did it goes? When she hides here? She didn't cause any trouble, did she?" 

 

"She didn't. She and Minguk just stayed in the door. And when they both realize me, it was Minguk first who introduce himself. Um, by the way Doctor Im. Speaking of my brother. Any improvement about my brother?" Seohyun change her mind that instant, when she was reminded of her lost brother.

 

"Sadly No. But in time, I know we will able to have leads where could he be. Don't worry, we will see him soon." Reaching for Seohyun's hand, Doctor Im gives Seohyun a gentle squeeze, as he reassuringly smiled at her. "Don't lose hope. We're here to support you."

 

A sad pout once again formed into Seohyun's lips. It's been almost 2 years now, but still, he's nowhere to be found. 

 

"Just think of it, he's just out there to be more mature and work for his future. I'm sure, he will comeback, a better and strong boy."

 

"Does he even think of me when he decided to run away?" Seohyun looked down her lap. She sighed heavily afterwards. "Does he even think of me now? Does he even miss his sister? I know I was a bad sister because I was diagnose of this cancer and couldn't able to take care of him. It's all my fault he runs away." She has no intention in bringing it again, but she missed him. It will always haunt her that she didn't fulfilled her promise to her parents. But she hoped, wherever is her brother right now, he's in a good place. And he's happy to whatever he is doing. Just that, it's okay for her that she won't able to see him back. 

 

Doctor Im couldn't answer. Seohyun's hurtful words also breaks his heart. For years he had been with her, in the hospital, he have grown to know her. And that made him also feels like a father. He knows how much it hurts for the girl when her brother left without even leaving any letter where he will go. All that he can do is to give her a deserving comfort. So he scooted closer and gently put the girl's head in his shoulder. "I know I've been telling this to you, but we'll get there. Right now, I want you to completely heal. So the next time you see him, he won't able to run away again. And you can take care of him. Isn't that what you wish for?"

 

"Yes." Seohyun was glad Doctor Im can able to really comfort her. She's after all lucky a man like him cares for her like she's his own daughter.

 

"That's great, Seohyun." Doctor Im patted Seohyun's head and kissed her forehead. He warmly smiled at her, as the latter also did.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 [Song Residence]

 

 

"Bye, Bye Yoona Noona, See you again tomorrow."

 

"Bye bye Minguk-ah.~" Yoona answered, waving her hand.

 

"No! Sit down Noona! Sit down!" But Minguk's mind changed, as he quickly rushed and took the doe-eyed girl's hand. He pulled her back to the couch while carrying his baby milk bottle.

 

Yoona frowned as soon as Minguk lied his head on top of her lap. His eyes closes, as he drink on his milk comfortably.

 

"Yah! Minguk-ah. Yoona Noona is still going to her shop. You can't disturb her!" Mr. Song literally scolded his son.

 

"No. It's okay for Yoona Noona, right Noona?" Minguk grinned against the of his bottle.

 

Yoona rolled her eyes and knock the kid's forehead. He chuckles at her and once again close his eyes.

 

"Well, I think I will go once he fall sleep." said Yoona, showing her defeat.

 

"Aigoo, Minguk. But, don't hesitate and leave Yoong."

 

"Of course, Mr. Song." Yoona reassuringly smiled, before Minguk's father left upstairs. The other boys are upstairs he also needs to look after. "What will Noona do to get you into sleep?"

 

"Sing a lullaby." Minguk replied without opening his eyes.

 

"Lullaby? I don't know how to sing, Minguk."

 

"Then dance."

 

"Aish, whatever. I'm not your Nanny, you know. Let's just listen to some music." Pulling out her phone from her pocket, she opened it and played a song. She's into classical, so she played one of her favorite piano piece from a famous Japanese pianist. She sighed and leaned her head back as soon as the music started. Minguk in her lap is also loving the music. He is relaxing to the music, despite it's the first time his Noona is sharing it to him.

 

A couple of minutes later, Yoona can now hear Minguk's loud snore. And at the same time, she heard her stomach growl. She groan and stop the music. 

 

Gently, she put aside Minguk's baby bottle and gently sneak her a under his knee. Supporting also in his head, she carried him and went upstairs. Wherein, Mr. Song meet her half way. She transferred her to him instead of putting him on his bed. Before leaving, she kissed his forehead and cheeks.

 

"I'll go ahead Mr. Song."

 

"By the way. I'm sorry. He's really naughty." Mr. Song awkwardly apologize in behalf of his son.

 

"It's okay, Mr. Song. I enjoyed it always. You know, being with Minguk. I think I should be sorry because he seldom play with his siblings now."

 

"No, you shouldn't. Minguk always plays with them. Anyway, Can you lock the door before leaving?"

 

Yoona smiled sheepishly. "Yeah, sure." She bowed and casually left. Mr. Song on the other hand brought his son to the room. And just like Yoona promised, she locked the door before she left the residence and get into her car.

 

She buckled her seat belt and drives off carefully. She's listening to a song in the radio while in the road. At first 30 minutes, her mind is only blank. Just keeping her eyes and mind focus to the road. But the next minutes passes, as she stops the car slowly in a cross intersection, she suddenly was reminded the last time she saw her father was so concern over someone's accident. It happened in the same place.

 

-

 

"Appa? What happened?!" Yoona's so surprised and curious at the same time. They happened to meet a car crash in the road.

 

Her father did not answer her. Instead, he grab his phone in the car and dialed a number. He is calling for an ambulance. Yoona looked back at the two cars that collided in the middle of the road. She barely can describe how damage is the car. The front was more than damage than the back seat. What's worse, she can see blood flowing from the car. She covered and turned to look at her father.

 

"You stay here. I'll check on the victims." 

 

"But--"

 

"Here." Her father handed her his phone. "Call your mother to fetch you. I might go to the hospital too. Take care, honey." 

 

Yoona's mouth is agape, watching her father rushed to the accident site. She barely could now move in her spot - couldn't believe what she's seeing in front of her. Her father, being like a hero to save others' lives is never been in her wildest imagination.

 

-

 

'So what happened during those 2 years he's in London? Did he save more lives too or he made another family?' In Yoona's mind, gripping in her steering wheel. It's still so blur for her what's her father's intention in going to London. It took 2 years before he went back. But according to her mother, he went there for a job. Yet, she still thinks otherwise. 2 years without contacting them, isn't that fishy? Then when he went back, he barely could see him. He's always in that Hospital, as her mother says.

 

Sighing, a letting her body relax, She slowly drives off again and have this urge to go to a restaurant. Her stomach is so hungry already. She can not continue driving all the way to the shop without any food inside her stomach. Worse, he forgot to attend on her College Graduation Ceremony. He only attended the party at home.

 

-

 

Chorong:

[A total of 25 clients now, supporting your exhibit by next month, Unnie.

Congratulations! ;)]

 

Yoona's smile is just from ear to ear upon reading her assistant's message. It's the best message she had ever had. Last time she checks, there are only 5 of them. Now, 25? That's a history for her. She can have a big exhibit literally. And she's thinking of inviting celebrities as well.

 

to Chorong:

[Good job Chorong-ssi. ^^

By the way, I'm sorry for borrowing Minguk again. Hehe.]

 

-

 

Chorong:

[That's not a problem. I know he makes you happy.

Are you still going here or I'm going to close the shop now?]

 

Yoona looked at her time and her 3rd hamburger of the night, she felt like going for a jog after finishing her meal. So she decided to not go.

 

Chorong:

[Kindly close it securely before leaving, Chorong-ssi. 

I'm going home after dinner already.]

 

She put her phone back to her pocket and did not mind of replying whatever is in Chorong's message. She returned her attention to her food and finishe them all, with a happy vibe again. She now has the reason to continue her passion, and at the same time, she wants to try what's in store for her in the hospital. Now that she will be so close to her father. The Winter Holidays would likely be so memorable for her. She hope so.

 

 

 

 

 

[Hospital]

 

"You're not sleeping again?"

 

"What? I sleep too you know. Not just right now. It's still early, nurse Hwang." 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter